Symphony of the seas Live blog October 2018!!

Hi everyone!

Hope you are enjoying the autumn (fall). The cooler temperatures in England are much appreciated after the scorcher of a summer!

We are on Symphony of the seas this week, so I’ll be posting a few photos and our thoughts of the different activities etc on the ship.

Let me know if you have any questions, we are on until the 7th October and I’ll try and answer them.

Anyway, yesterday was embarkation day and today we arrived in Palma De Mallorca, gangway opened at 0800 rather than the predicted 0830 so I’ve got to rush! I’ll post some more later today or tomorrow morning!

Happy cruising!

Ben

So embarkation day was spent just wandering around the ship and getting familiar with it. We’ve been on the allure and harmony but that was a couple of years ago now, is forgotten how big this ship is!! It’s absolutely awesome though.

We swung by the windjammer buffet too, and whilst it was busy we were able to find a seat. Food was good but just the standard stuff, didn’t seem anything too interesting today but will check it out again later on in the week.

We also went to Park cafe for 2nd lunch and it was great. The have the obligatory roast beef sandwich of course, but also salads and pre-prepared sandwiches along with a selection of cake. And it was very quiet at 14:00

IMG_5251.thumb.JPG.120546eb9a57cb9795a4b6a67670ee31.JPG

The solarium is a beautiful space, and the sculpture over the bar is incredible, it changes colour at night too and is hypnotising. There were plenty of loungers available and a couple of the bigger comfortable bed too. The bridge wings also have the glass floor which is a fun place to stop by.

Solarium bistro for dinner was absolutely amazing! We went there for our first dinner, and it may just have been because it was the first night but it was empty! It’s a buffet style, but everything is plated individually and beautifully presented (i forgot to take any photos but we will defintely be going back). And the best bit is it’s healthier style Mediterranean food and delicious.

Playmakers is my favourite addition to the ship so far. It takes up most of the port (i think!) side of the boardwalk and has a wide selection of beers and about 30 tv screens showing a variety of sports. On the Sunday 30th they were showing the premiership football, Ryder cup and the NFL! Playmakers also incorporates some arcade games, for a charge, and shuffleboard along with other board games for free. They also have a for fee a la carte menu which we’ll be trying later on.

Overall a great, and busy, first day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

acb1a8643357c5c6ebc1ea0ff2e15961.jpg

There were a lot of ships in Barcelona on Sunday

854cd7ef1a9729c0e263a61fff5c95a0.jpg

We saw Hairspray, the musical and it was great! The cast had a lot of energy and some of their voices were incredible. Set design was very interesting too as they used a lot of projected backdrops which really added to things

6cd1f4ea50d1dca3188f09384f7994ac.jpg05cd155c07377510518d97b6d926c23f.jpgab968ae7a3bba578bf0c518858e13975.jpg

They’ve converted the big empty spaces next to the running track to some table tennis tables and a shuffle board court. Haven’t seen anyone down at these yet so a great quiet spot if you want one!

Just a few photos from around the ship

d47bccd5f5255b9b1d7fa7935cef0fa0.jpg2db032b5419044b9b893ad0ce9dcb62f.jpg

A couple of ultimate abyss

fbf71bbb581cbc7d5406c9da0ba2d393.jpg

9d4868c06850f221ef2a0117d77f372c.jpg

Night time boardwalk. I love the carousel, such a unique thing to have on a cruise ship!

06b43ab15bbc2d2d66e89e25ab204e04.jpg

Sculpture in the solarium. There are so many pieces of art on the ship it’s impossible to see them all, but some are too big to miss!

• Like 1

We are going to be on the Symphony in April and can’t wait!

I know there is a Starbucks on board but I am really interested in trying to find out what the drink selection and prices would be for NON-Starbucks drinks that would be on the refreshment package.

If you are able to post a photo of the smoothie menu (in the Vitality Cafe/Bar?) and the non- Starbucks coffee/latte options (promenade maybe?), I would be very grateful!!

There is a coffee card available for my sailing as well so if you see anything on board about how that is being used that would be a bonus!!:hearteyes:

Enjoy your cruise!!

For our first port day we were at Palma De Mallorca. The ship docks out of town and there is a shuttle bus that takes you in to town for 10 euros each, but they only take cash. I found out there is no cash machine in the terminal but there is one on board the ship, next to Beleros, that gives out euros but will surge you 6 euros for the privilege! We made it to town and our plan was to head to the Monastery at Valldemossa by bus. The bus stop was about 25 minutes walk through the town, which was quiet as most things were still shut. The bus leaves infrequently, but it was well kept and on time, and only cost 1.80 each.

5eca9aaf4e0755ff4322ffe3cb9e29a6.jpg

The bus ride takes 30 minutes and is quite spectacular, some tight turns around drop offs though, so if you are of a nervous disposition sit on the right side of the bus on the way there as that’s the wall side! Also this town is very popular with cyclists! I’m very impressed that people can make it up that hill though! f1c9b9862e992577e9dacd34b3369172.jpg

Valldemossa is a small town with a lot of shops, cafes and a stunning view. Chopin once stayed at the monastery here and they still have his piano and some other effects and that’s what we were her to see. It cost 8.50 euros or get in and another 4 to Chopins room, but it was very interesting to hear the history and the view are unparalleled! Highly recommended. They also do a piano recital for 15 minutes at the end of the tour. We had a wander through town then headed back to the bus to Palma city centre. We took a slow wander through the shops and then headed back to the ship.

6145375f4bf36a635a8210b4cdc0ff88.jpg

244b33b5dd98c2dec4bd352046aea620.jpge4ab996a407baa906391f692fc5791f5.jpg

Once onboard we grabbed some lunch and then headed to use our pass to the thermal spa (199 euros (plus tax and gratuity!) for a couple for the week. It was very relaxing and there was no one else in there. They have 8 heated loungers, 2 tropical rain showers, a steam room and a sauna.

After this we headed to see hairspray, (as I said above it was awesome!) before dinner in 150 Central Park. This was good food, but a little underwhelming considering the cost. There was one other couple there when we arrived, so not much atmosphere, but some people prefer that. Service was attentive but the food was only so so. The truffle bread was a highlight, but the scallops didn’t have much flavour and the beef tenderloin was ok. Deep fried cheesecake was a very interesting dessert but a bit heavy. 378ff6824dd4f15909acec4426208439.jpg the passion fruit bar was a nice light finish though

We then were going to catch the aqua theatre show, Huel, but there was an announcement saying there was some rough weather coming up that we would have to detour round, but the seas were too rough for the show to go ahead. Instead they have rescheduled for the sea day (day 7). So instead we went down to the attic (that sentence makes no sense! Why put the attic on deck 4, at least call it the cellar/basement! Anyway, I digress) to catch the comedy show. The comedian Phil Palisoul has been on a number of American shows I’m not familiar with and he was very good. Engaged with the crowd well and kept us laughing without resorting to crude or insulting comedy. A good round off to the evening.

• Like 1

We are going to be on the Symphony in April and can’t wait!

I know there is a Starbucks on board but I am really interested in trying to find out what the drink selection and prices would be for NON-Starbucks drinks that would be on the refreshment package.

If you are able to post a photo of the smoothie menu (in the Vitality Cafe/Bar?) and the non- Starbucks coffee/latte options (promenade maybe?), I would be very grateful!!

There is a coffee card available for my sailing as well so if you see anything on board about how that is being used that would be a bonus!!:hearteyes:

Enjoy your cruise!!

7fd4732df3de6dc553feae0f70ebe6d2.jpg

Here’s the juice/smoothie menu. There’s a build you own option on there too if you want to mix it up!

I’ll grab a photo of cafe promenade menu too when we are back on the ship. Haven’t seen anyone using the coffee card yet but I will definitely keep my eyes open for it.

And you are going to love this ship, it is amazing!

Thanks for blogging, I really enjoy it. Got one question though: Do you know if the juices and smoothies at Vitality are included in the deluxe drink package?

Included as long as they do not have protein powder.