Things to do in Tortola for a non beach person

ClaireAndMike

Greetings all:

I'm on the NCL Bliss the week of New Year's and one of our ports is Tortola. It'll be my first time there, which is exciting, but I also haven't a clue as to how to spend the day - and it's a short one. 7am to 3pm.

On islands I've visited on previous cruises, I've preferred to do historical or sightseeing tours because I just can't sit on a beach for hours (for numerous reasons). Maybe I'm doing "beach day" wrong? I guess I could lay in a beach chair and read a book or put my headphones in and listen to music? I'm SUPER fair skinned and would need a cabana or umbrella. I really can't be in the sun because I burn even with sunscreen on. Last time I tried to be a team player, I swam for a couple hours on a catamaran tour in Bermuda and got such a bad sunburn that I had to cancel my massage on the ship for the following day. :loudcry:

Tips welcome!

I think an island tour would be a good choice for you. Drivers at the pier offer great 3 - 4 hour tours (and longer) at very reasonable prices, ~$25pp or so. Many include a stop at Cane Garden Bay where you can have a nice lunch at a beach bar with a view.

CGB is the most popular beach and is home to several oceanfront bars. I would recommend stopping by the Callwood Distillery for a tour of their excellent rums.

After that go into Quito’s Bar right there and have a “Legend” or another signature drink that sounds good. Quito is a popular reggae/island recording artist and the signature drinks are named after some of his songs. Be sure to grab a CD to play when you are back in your cabin, my favorite is “Caribbean Run” from 1987!

Then walk over to Myett’s for a nice fish sandwich, salad, or burger before getting back to the tour. They have a large covered verandah and bar area.

You will certainly either go up or down Windy Hill Road when going to CGB, and if the driver will stop midway on the hill the Heritage Inn and Bananakeet Cafe afford spectacular panoramic views of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays along with Sandy Spit, Jost Van Dyke, and St John and St Thomas. Worth a stop for the view, and if there on Thurs - Sun the Bananakeet is open and their signature drink of the same name is delicious!

The driver will of course provide spectacular photo ops from the mountaintop, and give you a tour through the history of the island. Tortola is a beautiful, lush island, and if you are fortunate enough to meet any locals you will find them to be very warm and welcoming.

[EDIT] The nice ladies at the info center can direct you to a driver for a tour you are interested in, no need to pre-book a tour. But these are group tours on a safari-type truck, and if you would prefer a private tour A.C. Is a good choice.

http://www.info-res.com/actaxibvi/

As above. Pick up an island tour at the dock. With limited time in port, check if they include a beach stop as some will, some won't. A non-beach stop one should be shorter and give you time for a stroll around Road Town when you return.

With 7 - 7.5 hours off the ship you will have plenty of time for a nice tour of the entire island with a stop at CGB (and hopefully Bananakeet too ;) ) and still have time to hit the shops at Road Town. You may want to bring a small umbrella for when you are walking to places just to keep out of the sun. But plan on getting off the ship as early as you can for your first visit so you can see more of the natural beauty of Tortola.

Good idea from edinburgher to hit the shops near the dock after your tour! Sunny Caribee, a great little spice and rub shop hasn’t yet re-opened but it may be open when you are there. If you decide to choose a non-beach tour Pusser’s Road Town Pub is an English-style tavern with good pub food, and a great clothing line in their store in the back and upstairs!

But I hope you choose a tour with a beach as the beaches are gorgeous, you have plenty of shade at the restaurants like Myett’s for a great lunch (nice little gift shop too), the distillery is interesting, and Quito Rymer’s music is great to listen to later. The green glass shop is relocating to Virgin Gorda so that has been closed, unfortunately.

But enjoy your day on beautiful Tortola, and do stop and talk to some of the residents as the people are wonderful! :)

Edited by blue_water
Typo

Greetings all:

I'm on the NCL Bliss the week of New Year's and one of our ports is Tortola. It'll be my first time there, which is exciting, but I also haven't a clue as to how to spend the day - and it's a short one. 7am to 3pm.

On islands I've visited on previous cruises, I've preferred to do historical or sightseeing tours because I just can't sit on a beach for hours (for numerous reasons). Maybe I'm doing "beach day" wrong? I guess I could lay in a beach chair and read a book or put my headphones in and listen to music? I'm SUPER fair skinned and would need a cabana or umbrella. I really can't be in the sun because I burn even with sunscreen on. Last time I tried to be a team player, I swam for a couple hours on a catamaran tour in Bermuda and got such a bad sunburn that I had to cancel my massage on the ship for the following day. :loudcry:

Tips welcome!

We walked as far as we could for one hour and then walked back . Not much in the way of historic but a lot of nice parks.

Thanks.. if you have any specifics for Roadtown I,'d appreciate that. Sunny Caribee,? Small clothing boutiques?

We were booked on a sailing excursion to Sopers Hole, but they eliminated Sopers Hole in favor of a flea market. We cancelled and are going to Jost Von Dyke..

But we would like to spend some time and money in Road Town.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks...we wanted to  go to  Pussers at Sopers Hole...but our excursion  took that stop out..So  we re booked a different tour.... Pussers Roadtown it will be after we hit Jost Von Dyke for Painkillers

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, hcat said:

Thanks...we wanted to  go to  Pussers at Sopers Hole...but our excursion  took that stop out..So  we re booked a different tour.... Pussers Roadtown it will be after we hit Jost Von Dyke for Painkillers

Good Plan!  Enjoy!   :classic_cool:

• 2 months later...

We booked a ship's sightseeing tour that  we think will stop in Cane Garden Bay..( not the beach?) Not sure what we can do there?  Snacks, drinks, shops??

Looks like mostly sightseeing aling Ridge Rd?

Edited by hcat

CGB is a beach with several beach bars/restaurants, several safari taxis will be dropping folks there from the ships. You may have time to get a lunch at Myett's and enjoy the beach, not sure. The tour will include photo op stops from high up and possibly a drive along the north and south shores.

You can also just hook up with one of the drivers at the pier who provide group 4+ hour tours, some with a stop at CGB, for a reasonable price (~$25pp). That way you aren't locked in if you decide to look at something else. And if you just hop a safari taxi taking folks to CGB you will get a mini-tour and can spend the day at the beach. Taxi fare is $8pp each way to either CGB or Brewers.

Either way enjoy!

• 1 month later...

We’re going to Tortola in June so I started looking online for nonbeach type ways to spend the day.  I found a botanical garden that’s within walking distance that may be a good option for you.  Follow it with a nice lunch at Pussers and you’ve got a pretty good day 😎

• 4 weeks later...

Blue_Water, If we catch a tour at the dock, open air taxi for 4 hours, will they just drop us at CGB for beach time?  Do we pick up another taxi to return or continue with the tour or does the original driver come back for us?

Some of the tours stop at CGB where you can see the distillery or have a quick lunch, and then take you back to the cruise dock. So you would continue with the tour, or if you want to stay in CGB longer just take another shared taxi back for $8pp...

Quick tip for the fair-skinned, get some UV clothing. I know Columbia does a range of clothing rated spf 50+. The good surf brands do rash vests and leggings which are also spf protected. I work in a surf shop in Ireland so fair skin protection is a necessity for our customers. I always wear at least a short-sleeve rash vest doing water sports in hot countries, I also have leggings but they’re more to protect against jellyfish stings (allergy). Look for SUP (stand-up paddleboard) ranges from the surf brands.