Frontier questions

EeyoreFan1967

We are from NY metro area and have booked a cruise out of San Juan for late May 2019. All of the flights we are seeing right now are in the $600 pp range, so we are eagerly awaiting the discount airlines to release their rates for our travel week.

Meantime, I've been watching rates for other dates and JetBlue (JFK or EWR), which would be our choice, seems around the same as other airlines. It looks like Frontier out of Philadelphia might be a real option for us as, if trends prove true, it might save us more than $1k. It will be markedly less convenient and the flight times are terrible...but that is a lot of money I'd rather save for our next vacation! ;p

Please tell me about your experience with Frontier from Philly to San Juan. Do I need to join the den to get the best possible rate? When can we expect rates for this time frame to be released? Does frontier always publish fares on Thursdays? What time of day? Please feel free to contribute any additional info you think would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Eeyore

Where are you seeing Frontier flights for late May? I only see booking available on their site through 4/29.

I'm not seeing flights for late May. I'm so sorry if I was unclear. I'm comparing prices for earlier dates in anticipation of what to expect. And if trends prove true, I may expect much lower prices on frontier than JetBlue. So I'm trying to learn from people with experience on Frontier (I have none) how it's best to book through them. I want to be ready to jump on these low fares when they are released.

It appears that if you take the non-stop flight out of PHL, you may not have anything to worry about in terms of delays... average delay for departure is 30 minutes, since arrival is after 1.30a the next day you will have plenty of time to spare..

Just need hotel to sleep a bit until boarding time. Based on what you wrote, you can get all of the add-on's with bucks to save...

We use F9 from out local airport to FLL often, for cruises instead of PHL.

bon voyage

It appears that if you take the non-stop flight out of PHL, you may not have anything to worry about in terms of delays... average delay for departure is 30 minutes, since arrival is after 1.30a the next day you will have plenty of time to spare..

Just need hotel to sleep a bit until boarding time. Based on what you wrote, you can get all of the add-on's with bucks to save...

We use F9 from out local airport to FLL often, for cruises instead of PHL.

bon voyage

Thanks for your response. What is F9? Is this a nickname for Frontier? Are you a DEN member? Do you recommend membership? And do you have any idea when the next set of fares may be released?

Thanks!

ETA: I am the OP, I have 2 screen names for technical reasons, one on my computer, one on my phone. Eeyore

Edited by EeyoreRN
added info

F9 is the 2-character IATA code for Frontier. It prefixes the airline's flight numbers to identify the airline in question: F9 680 is a Frontier flight, just as DL 680 would be a Delta flight.

Ah...duh! Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for your response. What is F9? Is this a nickname for Frontier? Are you a DEN member? Do you recommend membership? And do you have any idea when the next set of fares may be released?

Thanks!

ETA: I am the OP, I have 2 screen names for technical reasons, one on my computer, one on my phone. Eeyore

I recommend signing up for The Den only if you plan on taking two (2) or more flights during your membership period, if not, calculate your savings adding in the cost of the Den to determine if it is a good value.

We are not Den members as we only use the them 2X a year or so.

F9 is the airline code for Frontier.

Fares are usually issued seven (7) months out.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Frontier is a low cost carrier. This often means very limited flights between any two city pairs. Keep this in mind because if you have day-of-travel delays or cancellations your options may be severely limited. Low cost carriers may not have another available flight routing to get you to your destination, may only offer a route on certain days, and don't partner with other airlines so can't endorse your ticket over to another airline.

I recommend signing up for The Den only if you plan on taking two (2) or more flights during your membership period, if not, calculate your savings adding in the cost of the Den to determine if it is a good value.

We are not Den members as we only use the them 2X a year or so.

F9 is the airline code for Frontier.

Fares are usually issued seven (7) months out.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Thank you for this advice. There are 3 of us traveling, and we will probably only do the one trip in the 12-month period so I guess it won't really be worth signing up...probably right on the cusp of worth it. What I'm really thinking is that DEN members get first dibs on lowest fares (right?), and since I have no experience with this airline, I have no idea how low the initial fares will be vs. when they open to the public. It looks like JetBlue fares will be released first so I hope they're good!

Frontier is a low cost carrier. This often means very limited flights between any two city pairs. Keep this in mind because if you have day-of-travel delays or cancellations your options may be severely limited. Low cost carriers may not have another available flight routing to get you to your destination, may only offer a route on certain days, and don't partner with other airlines so can't endorse your ticket over to another airline.

Great point, thanks for bringing this up! Would plan flight for late night flight Thursday for a Sunday cruise, should leave enough cushion, so I thought...should I second-guess this strategy?

Thank you for this advice. There are 3 of us traveling, and we will probably only do the one trip in the 12-month period so I guess it won't really be worth signing up...probably right on the cusp of worth it. What I'm really thinking is that DEN members get first dibs on lowest fares (right?), and since I have no experience with this airline, I have no idea how low the initial fares will be vs. when they open to the public. It looks like JetBlue fares will be released first so I hope they're good!

You will get an idea of how low the fares are for now, as you can do a mock booking to figure it out costs.

Please remember the fares you see today may not be the fares when those flights are released, but you can get some ideas for planning purposes and watch or purchase after release.

Just know that you have to practically pay for everything, which is listed during booking.

Take into consideration, parking fees at PHL when thinking of driving down, that adds to the overall transportation cost, as well.

We find that it is a better deal using Frontier which flies near our home than going to PHL by the time we take into consideration the travel there, parking and etc. Cost is usually just about the same if they are going where we need to be when we need to be and for the return as well.

Also, if you are not sure about Frontier, you can check out other airlines which depart PHL to find out pricing and compare to your close airports to determine if there is really value for the ride down the Pike...

bon voyage

Great point, thanks for bringing this up! Would plan flight for late night flight Thursday for a Sunday cruise, should leave enough cushion, so I thought...should I second-guess this strategy?

In theory, it would give you all day Friday and Saturday for new flight arrangements if something goes wrong. I would simply check to confirm whether or not Frontier offers your flight itinerary on those days, how many times/day, and if they offer other routings, perhaps with a connection that could get you there. But yes, generally flying in that early is pretty good insurance!

Not sure what or where you have been looking for airfares from NYC...and maybe I have missed something but...

AA has a ton of seats available, mostly out of LGA, for less than $300. pp for all of May and June. (one-stop routes)

Delta offers a lot of non-stops out of JFK for $326 and up.

Not sure what or where you have been looking for airfares from NYC...and maybe I have missed something but...

AA has a ton of seats available, mostly out of LGA, for less than $300. pp for all of May and June. (one-stop routes)

Delta offers a lot of non-stops out of JFK for $326 and up.

I'm looking for May 24 to June 2. The June 2 flights are too early we get off the ship at 7 am. I could switch to may 23 or 25 for great fares. Will recheck. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk