U.S. passport vs card

roxievegas

this is a FYI to those of you who have the card vs the passport. We were at the airport flying from California to Vancouver, B.C, the agent asked us why we were going to Vancouver and I told her that we were leaving there for our cruise to Hawaii. She said that earlier a couple and come in to check in for the same flight, but they did not have passports, only the cards and they were not allowed to fly.

The cards are only good for land travel back and forth between Canada, U.S. and Mexico. You can not fly with the card. You can cruise with the card, but if you have an emergency and have to fly home they can not put you on a flight back to the U.S.

this is a FYI to those of you who have the card vs the passport. We were at the airport flying from California to Vancouver, B.C, the agent asked us why we were going to Vancouver and I told her that we were leaving there for our cruise to Hawaii. She said that earlier a couple and come in to check in for the same flight, but they did not have passports, only the cards and they were not allowed to fly.

The cards are only good for land travel back and forth between Canada, U.S. and Mexico. You can not fly with the card. You can cruise with the card, but if you have an emergency and have to fly home they can not put you on a flight back to the U.S.

The couple would have to fly to Seattle or Bellingham, Washington. Then take a bus to the cruise terminal. I do hope that they were flying a day early.

the gate agent I was talking with did make that suggestion to them. It was the day before the cruise, so they did have time to make the change, but at what cost to buy a last minute tickets.

Again, you can cruise with the card, but if you have to be evac'd they will not put you on a plane

I purchased both. I use the passport card for picture identification when returning from shore to the ship. Very simple. Also, means my drivers license isn’t in danger of being stolen.

Also use the card for reentry after a cruise since the agent doesn’t have any reason to flip through all those empty pages.

We did receive notice that our upcoming partial Panama Canal cruise required a passport - a change from a couple months ago.

Worth the extra dollars for ease and peace of mind.

I purchased both. I use the passport card for picture identification when returning from shore to the ship. Very simple. Also, means my drivers license isn’t in danger of being stolen.

Also use the card for reentry after a cruise since the agent doesn’t have any reason to flip through all those empty pages.

We did receive notice that our upcoming partial Panama Canal cruise required a passport - a change from a couple months ago.

Worth the extra dollars for ease and peace of mind.

I purchased both when I renewed my passport because my State drivers license wasn't (and still isn't) real ID compliant. I can use the card for a government issued picture ID if I need one but use the book for travel.

Edited by Luvcrusn

I think it's rather clear from the State Department web site. They even state

The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for international air travel.

I've had both for many years. The card is just an extra form of ID. Best plan is to always carry your passport. However I do take the card only when on beach type ports to avoid ruining my passport in the water. It will get you back on the ship. I also have a color photo copy of our passports hidden in our luggage. In addition I keep a photo copy stored on a secure cloud drive. All of this make it much easier if something goes wrong. You can use the passport card to fly domestically but most airlines require the passport to fly internationally.

It also helps to have global entry for some ports and clear for some airports but thatst another issue of course.

I paid extra for the passport card when I renewed my passport 9 years ago. The extra cost to get the passport card was a complete waste of money as I've never used it. We use our Global Entry cards as ID's when flying in the U.S.

I paid extra for the passport card when I renewed my passport 9 years ago. The extra cost to get the passport card was a complete waste of money as I've never used it. We use our Global Entry cards as ID's when flying in the U.S.

Great point and example.