Wheelchair accessibility at the Dockyard

riri13

One of the members of my party is mostly wheelchair bound. Can anyone comment about what we can see at the Dockyard from a wheelchair? We are happy to push him but concerned about barriers, uneven surfaces, lack of curb cuts, that sort of thing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to take him along a paved walkway where he could see the water/beach, just take in some local scenery. We are trying to keep things easy, no need for excursions, just would like a little look at the local scene. I've been there before but went straight into a cab and never checked out the Dockyard area. An accessible lunch place would be a bonus if available. Thanks.

I'm not sure you can see "the beach" from the Dockyard. There are sidewalks, although I can't tell you if there are curb cuts because I was not paying attention to that, sad to say. There are several shops which would probably be wheelchair accessible. There is also a fort, which some of the more seasoned travelers here may be able to tell you if it is wheelchair accessible.

There is a snorkel park, with a manmade beach, but it is not a beach with lovely sights and vistas like Horseshoe. Really just a water park with sand.

I cruised with my parents when they were alive, and with mobility issues, but never to Bermuda. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

One of the members of my party is mostly wheelchair bound. Can anyone comment about what we can see at the Dockyard from a wheelchair? We are happy to push him but concerned about barriers, uneven surfaces, lack of curb cuts, that sort of thing. Ideally, I'd like to be able to take him along a paved walkway where he could see the water/beach, just take in some local scenery. We are trying to keep things easy, no need for excursions, just would like a little look at the local scene. I've been there before but went straight into a cab and never checked out the Dockyard area. An accessible lunch place would be a bonus if available. Thanks.

The Dockyard area is mainly a tourist area, not the local scene but you should be able to get to much of it in a wheelchair. Since it was developed for tourists later it is more accessible than other parts of Bermuda. I think you could get to the Frog and Onion Pub with a wheelchair. There are two routes and I visualize them as being accessible but I can’t confirm because I didn’t pay attention to them with accessibility in mind. Sorry, I will pay attention in the future. You will be able to see the water from the cruise ship docks easily. The dock area is accessible. The only beach is the man made Snorkel Park and the entrance was not accessible years ago but possibly that has been improved.

Edited by Charles4515

There is a significant lack of curb cuts in the dockyard area. There are a few, but not very many. It is very frustrating to go along a sidewalk only to find no curb cut and having to back up to where you entered on the sidewalk.

Within the last year, there have been a lot of changes to the dockyard area. Barriers have been put in place across many roadways/plazas to keep traffic out of the area and make it safe for pedestrians, who could just walk through them. Unfortunately, we found in many cases the barriers were so close together that our family member's wheelchair also couldn't go through We walked in the roadway much of our exploring the dockyard (with traffic still on some of the streets) and found that when we got to one of these barricades, we would have to turn around and go another way. But we managed.

I don't know about the Frog and Onion, much many of the museums are wheelchair accessible and also most of the shops in the Clocktower Mall. Some other shops were wheelchair accessible, including the glassblowing shop, but others in that area were not.

There are many things to do in the dockyard area which are wheelchair accessible--museums, watch the glass blowers, watch the dolphins, shop, and even a tour or two. There is also a wheelchair accessible glass bottom boat which leaves from the dockyard. So if your party wants to spend the day at the dockyard, there is enough to do.

Because we were do disappointed in the increased lack of wheelchair accessibility in the dockyard area with all of the changes/improvements, I went upstairs and talked with the CFO of the dockyard management company. (Highest level official available that day). He was shocked that their improvements they had made for the cruise tourists had actually had a negative impact on the disabled cruisers--claimed not their intention. I brought up the barriers, lack of curb cuts, and the change to the free trolley train which eliminated the wheelchair accessible car. I suggested they take a someone in a wheelchair around the area and could see everything for themselves. He promised they would take action to increase wheelchair accessibility.

It would also have more impact if others would contact the management company and ask if the changes discussed in our meeting have taken place and express concern about spending time in dockyard with disabled family members.

Also, the Bermuda ferries are wheelchair accessible, so you can go to other towns in Bermuda. (and if transfer to a car is possible, there are blue flag taxis/tours you can take in Bermuda.

Because we were do disappointed in the increased lack of wheelchair accessibility in the dockyard area with all of the changes/improvements, I went upstairs and talked with the CFO of the dockyard management company. (Highest level official available that day). He was shocked that their improvements they had made for the cruise tourists had actually had a negative impact on the disabled cruisers--claimed not their intention. I brought up the barriers, lack of curb cuts, and the change to the free trolley train which eliminated the wheelchair accessible car. I suggested they take a someone in a wheelchair around the area and could see everything for themselves. He promised they would take action to increase wheelchair accessibility.

Unfortunately the lack of consideration for the disabled in Bermuda has changed little over the years. Seems to be missing in their culture. Would think that the tourist people would not make changes that are negative, that they would have taken a wheelchair around before making changes but accessibility is still a low priority.

I would complain to the cruise line too. While they are not responsible they do have influence. The Dockyard is primarily a tourist area that is configured for cruise passengers.

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you so much Kathy for that detailed information. It's unfortunate they didn't do it right when they were making changes. I've been reading about the difficulty in handicapped transportation there too. I may go out first to scout out the best path to take. He has no expectations but if the weather is nice I'd like to take him off the ship for a little walk around. Thanks.

• 1 month later...