I'm going on my first solo cruise in October to the Caribbean and very much looking forward to it. What I don't understand is how the drinks package works. It says I have to pay over £1000 to have drinks, I most certainly will not be drinking that much and wondered if I can pick specific days for the $89 package? Do I have to buy the package for the whole 2 weeks?

A package is for the duration of the cruise. Some cruise lines will allow you to wait to buy the package....so you might want to only buy it for the last 5 or so days of the trip at a prorated price. You cannot buy for specific days.

If you aren't a big drinker, you won't need a package. ANY drink can be bought "a la carte" without a package.

Included in your fare is: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice at breakfast.

As a rough break even, unless you plan to drink between 6- 7 drinks per day every day and also would include specialty coffees and sodas, the drink packages may not be worth the cost. And as mentioned, you must by the package for every day on board and not selective days.

See if you can find a drinks menu for your cruise line. If the drinks are about $7 or so each, and you will only use 2 or 3, then the package isn't worth it.

Also, if you're off the ship for much of the time, you'll probably be buying drinks ashore.

I buy packages if they're on special offer eg with Fred Olsen it was £10 per day- and that was worth it!