Yokahoma cruise departing

Miystic

i am going on a Norwegian cruise in May departing Yokahoma.

Fly into Hanada airport very early in morning.

My question is we have 3 nights to visit Japan.

Any sugestions for most convenience area to stay in. Where is the cruise terminal located. Is it near any transport.

I would be very appreciative of any tour companies and hotels for recommendations

Thanks

it is very easy to get around both Yoko and Tokyo via train so just do your research on what hotels would offer the amenities you desire. I can't help since the hotel we stayed at in Tokyo is the New Sanno so unless you are/were US or Canadian military, you are not eligible to stay there.

Queen's Landing in Yokohama is a large shopping, eating and playing venue. definitely take a ride on Cosmo( giant Ferris wheel) and there are several hotels in that same area as well( just no clue on names)

Ginza: high end shopping

Akihabara: electronics and games shopping

Roppongi: bars and clubs

Golden week runs until may 7th, so if that is the date you will be there, its will be crowded, expensive and many places will close or have limited hours. but there will also be a lot of festivals and street vendors everywhere. both Tokyo and Yokohama have many shrines and temples you can visit. my personal favorite is Yasukuni: their version of Arlington. and of course Ueno Park. you could spend all 3 days there and still not see everything. the Museum of Western Art is fantastic with many Rodin sculptures outside.

outlying areas are also easy to get to via train( most of which are bilingual) such as Kamakura( Daibutsu..giant Buddha) or Yokosuka -Mikasa Park( directly opposite the Navy Base so you could see the carrier if she's in port) has a museum..the Mikasa which was a very important ship of the Japanese Imperial Navy in her day.

We have just embarked in Yokohama on the Norwegian Jewel. It has all been excellent so far. We stayed in Yokohama at the Hotel New Grand, this is a very comfortable hotel, accessible, with several restaurants and opposite Yama****a park. The airport bus from Haneda stops outside the hotel. The hotel was great with my food requirements, this is quite hard in Japan with a lack of English nearly everywhere. Th hotel is relatively near the cruise port, we got a taxi but sem people walked. People are very helpful and considerate. When you get to the cruise terminal tell them you require assistance and they will direct you to the disabled waiting area. We found we had to flag down the wheelchair guys as they had no real instructions on what to do, but no real problems with embarkation. They will put in priority as normal.

Re excursions in Yokohama, we were very jet lagged, coming from Edinburgh but people coming from the US seemed just as bad, I found I managed to do things in the mornings. We took the tourist bus from outside the hotel, I mainly went to the Sogo department store (amazing) but Angus went around happily on the bus, I don’t think there’s a huge amount to see in Yokohama but I think it is easier than Tokyo. We plan to go back to Japan, it’s great, but I will plan very carefully when going to Tokyo, a woman on the cruise showed me a video she took of people crossing the road in Tokyo, it was very scary !

Sent from my iPad using Forums