Whale watching from the cruise ship?

Whimsy88

First time on NCL, and first cruise to Alaska next July - checking something else off the bucket list! We know that our best chance to see whales would be an excursion, but since we have 2 kids in college, that doesn't fit our budget. What are our best chances to see whales directly from the ship? (NCL Jewel NB - stops in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau and ending in Seward, with day in Glacier Bay and at Hubbard). Thanks for the insight.

If you are in the vicinity of Victoria, BC, we saw several orcas on the day we were passing Vancouver Island, the 2nd day of our cruise out of Seattle. I had some tour brochures from Victoria, BC, and Port Angeles, WA, that showed where they are usually spotted. On our return, many whales were spotted in the morning as we entered the strait of Juan de Fuca (I had my times wrong and wasn't outside for this, but many passengers reported this). I recall seeing whales early in the morning of our Glacier Bay day years ago. There is never a guarantee you'll see them from the ship, but those are some places where I have that you mentioned.

(On a side note, Auke Bay in Juneau is one of the best places to whale watch. We had a wonderful time on an excursion this summer).

Happy Sailing! :)

We saw humpbacks at the entrance to Glacier Bay in August 2012 and 3 orcas sailing along side our ship in the southern part of Glacier Bay this past July. We just happened to be on our balcony as we were sailing south in the bay. It really is luck. On most lines I expect (I know this is true for Princess) the naturalist will be narrating over the public address system if wildlife is spotted. It is really a question of luck in Glacier Bay whereas in Auke Bay (Juneau) I've never heard of anyone failing to see whales. On the 2012 trip we saw dozens of humpbacks, many of them bubble feeding (an incredible experience), while on an excursion with Harv and Marvv.

You have to be in the right part of the ship at the right time. We were looking out our OV window and low and behold there were 4 Orcas about 200 yards out. The Captain did make announcements all cruise long when he sighted whales from the bridge. If you can possibly swing it take an excursion. Ours was out of Icy Strait Point, went to the mouth of Glacier Bay. There we saw whales swimming, breaching, once two did it together, and bubble feed numerous times. All this about 100 yards or less from the excursion boat.

About a week before we arrived at Ketchikan there was a large group of Orcas in the channel right off the pier. Also saw a couple of whales way off in the distance between Skagway to Juneau. There are out there, but you have to continuously look. Binoculars are a must.

Have a great cruise. Alaska is amazing, you go once and you’ll want to go back again.

I agree with jrmende63, take a trip when you are in Seward. We did a tour with Major Marine in Seward and had a wonderful time. We saw a wonderful variety of wildlife including humpback whales, puffins, eagles, otters, sea lions, etc. While wildlife viewing everywhere is exciting, there is a significant difference between viewing from the heights of a cruise ship and a vessel designed for this type of viewing. Whatever your decisions, I know you will have a wonderful time Alaska is amazing.

I agree with jrmende63, take a trip when you are in Seward. We did a tour with Major Marine in Seward and had a wonderful time. We saw a wonderful variety of wildlife including humpback whales, puffins, eagles, otters, sea lions, etc. While wildlife viewing everywhere is exciting, there is a significant difference between viewing from the heights of a cruise ship and a vessel designed for this type of viewing. Whatever your decisions, I know you will have a wonderful time Alaska is amazing.

We took the longer Major Marine tour out of Seward about 2 years ago, and it was fabulous. The longer tour is in a smaller boat, so one is even more "right at sea level", etc.

It went much further, and into some fjords, including right up to a glacier. (Nothing as big as Hubbard glacier, obviously, or it would have been much too dangerous to get that close.)

There were a about 2-3 other boats out in the general area, and they were apparently communicating with each other, so if there was some good marine wildlife seen, the others approached and then all turned the engines down and we just floated and watched.

There were some serious birders on our trip, and they apparently had some special sightings as well.

It was a gorgeous day overall. Even "only" the scenery would have been worthwhile.

(Well, after spending 12 days in the northern Norwegian fjords a few months ago, that was more impressive landscape-wise, but it's all different and very special!)

We were sorry to learn that Major Marine has now pulled out of the the Whittier tours. We were hoping to do that another time, although no idea when.

GC

When in those waters you are in "the whale's house" so seeing them is a very strong possibility. However, you need to be constantly on the watch, looking for spouting and also shapes. We went in May and saw all kinds of whales from the ship, but we were outside on the decks a lot of the time and were constantly looking at the sea for these beautiful creatures. We also kayaked out of Ketchikan and had a humpback come up very near to our kayaks, not once but twice! It was very cool.

We have always seen them from the ship although most of the time from quite a distance. If your ship has a naturalist they will know the areas that are known humpback feeding areas where you will have an increased chance of seeing them. No guarantee you'll see them at all though. A few areas are around Icy Strait Point, Juneau and near Zarembo Island.

I'm always up early and sitting with a cup of coffee and a pair of binoculars in a forward viewing area looking for wildlife, particularly whales. Will go for hours without seeing anything and then all of a sudden in the distance will be some blow when they exhale.

We took the ferry from Haines to Bellingham last May and were treated to 3 sets of bubble net feeding that was unexpected and very near the boat. Quite a treat.

As noted, Seward has wildlife trips that are very good where you might see varied wildlife although there is no guarantee you'll see whales. Although a bit pricey, the Juneau humpback whale watch tours have a 100% guarantee.

You'll see posts from folks who write about wonderful sightings that include multiple breaches and bubble net feeding. Most of the time what you see are backs, flukes and blow.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing beats a whale watching excursion IMO. When you are on a large ship, the whales seem so far away. In a small boat - you get better perspective. I would probably cut back on something else and save money for the excursion. I have seen plenty of whales on both ships and shore excursions.

I have only been to Alaska in May, June and July and I have seen orcas and humpbacks each time. 

Whimsy88-

We have cruised Alaska 4 times and yes, you MAY see whales from the ship. You need to be vigilant and be outside in public viewing areas and/or have a balcony room. Princess is very good at spotting them and announcing the sighting; I do not know about NCL.

We have experienced a few private whale watching tours in Juneau and it was worth every dime! I understand that you are watching your budget, however, if seeing whales is a priority, it may be worth more consideration.

I agree with what Coral stated.

• 2 weeks later...

Have done two Alaska cruises and going back on a third next September. All our cruises have been the last ones of the season so late in September.

For whale watching from the ship you have to be up high and forward so that you can get the best 180 degree or more view. I spent quite a few hours outside on sea days and saw lots of whales. The water is pretty calm on the inside passage so if you have your eyes peeled or if you have a reasonable pair of binoculars you can see their spouts when they breath or their tails when diving. It takes patience but I saw whales every day I was out and about at the front of the ship. Just wrap up warm if you are going late in the season.

The cruise ship is doing over 20 mph in open waters.  Chances are if you see a whale, by the time it comes back up again from a dive, you will be well past it.  Whale watches in Juneau or Icy Strait are definitely the best way to see whales.

We saw whales going into and out of Glacier Bay.  When you think of how high you are above water combined with the distance from the ship you understand that this is not the same experience as on an excursion.  We also saw orcas swimming near the ship.  We thought they were juveniles until we realized how far away they were. 

On 10/24/2018 at 5:42 PM, karen1821 said:

What month is the best time to see orcas and humpbacks?

Seeing humpbacks on whale watching excursions out of Juneau or Icy Straight Point is pretty much guaranteed throughout the season in Alaska. Most of the whale watch tours will refund a good part of the fare if they don't find whales and they say they never end up doing that. There are some behaviors that are more common at certain times (bubble feeding in May).

Orcas can be harder. Some orcas are migratory so chances of seeing them vary. In May, there are migratory orcas near Seward and Major Marine runs Orca Quest boat tours then. Major Marine said they find orcas about 85% of the time on them. The day I did the Orca Quest, we saw a migratory pod plus one of the resident pods of Orcas as well a humpback. I've heard that Vancouver is also a good spot for orca sightings.