A6700/A7000 rumors

tommui987

Since I just bought the A7 III, I really have no interest in a new APS-C body.

I keep telling myself that. Over and over...

I am worried it may be shiny.

Really, really shiny.

:(

Dave

• 9 months later...

Fingers still crossed it incorporates the FZ battery, A9 processing engine AND EVF with full electronic shutter and read-out speed, and has MR modes on the dial...side-hope for IBIS and front & rear control dials.

Turns out the "Event" is tomorrow. Rumors are flying but no substantial leaks so far.

A new RX?

8K E-Mount video camera?

A9 II?

Sub-$1000 A5 Full-frame?

Super Duper APS-C camera?

All are predicted but none are confirmed.

Livestream  tomorrow at 10:AM ET https://alphauniverse.com/live/

Dave

I wonder if there is a line on this in Vegas?

A9 II more likely than A7s III. The honchos denied that the video tech was ready...and they never use misdirection as a marketing tool. Right?

Dave

It’s a7riv.  A month ago, I didn’t expect it until next year. But the price drop of the a7riii to $2500 was a big hint of the possibility. 

Still, I’m not going to even venture a guess as to specs. 

I will say—- it’s about to be a great time to pick up a used a7riii. You’ll likely be able to get a like-new a7riii for cheaper than a new a7iii... and unless you hate large files, the a7riii is the better camera. 

The $1000 drop in the A9 is another flag but Sonyalpharumors seems to support that the star.of the day will be the A7r IV. Sort of disappointed that the APS-C line is not getting a long overdue superstar. I guess the A6x00 sales haven't slowed down enough in their opinion to need a shot in the arm.

Happily, all this speculation will become moot in a couple of hours.

Dave

CShows you to ignore SAR rumors till right before announcement. 

The $1000 price drop on the a9 isn’t new... been that price for most of the last year. Which still keeps it the most expensive mirrorless of the big brands, and much more expensive than the other Sony cameras. 

But a7riii just barely more than the a7iii (which still hasn’t gotten a price cut). 

Shows you the value of buzz — the a7iii got lots and lots of buzz. So appears to be selling well even without price cuts. 

But at only a $500 difference, the a7riii is a better value.  Just doesn’t have the buzz of the a7iii. 

A7riv.... not sure what it will offer besides the a9 real time AF tracking. 

48 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

CShows you to ignore SAR rumors till right before announcement. 

The $1000 price drop on the a9 isn’t new... been that price for most of the last year. Which still keeps it the most expensive mirrorless of the big brands, and much more expensive than the other Sony cameras. 

But a7riii just barely more than the a7iii (which still hasn’t gotten a price cut). 

Shows you the value of buzz — the a7iii got lots and lots of buzz. So appears to be selling well even without price cuts. 

But at only a $500 difference, the a7riii is a better value.  Just doesn’t have the buzz of the a7iii. 

A7riv.... not sure what it will offer besides the a9 real time AF tracking. 

New ridiculously high-MP sensor?

Same MP with ultra-fast readout and useable e-shutter?

Fully articulated LCD a la A77?

Top panel LCD like a "real" camera?

Bottle opener and toothpick?

Tick-tock....

All will be revealed soon! 🙂

Dave

54 minutes ago, pierces said:

New ridiculously high-MP sensor?

A7r IV with 61MP 10 fps burst rate up to 68 frames with full autofocus and exposure. 15-stop dynamic range. Focus points galore with real-time tracking. Super resolution viewfinder. Better sealing. Blah, blah, blah video stuff...except for real-time Eye-AF in movie mode. That's kinda cool. Dual UHS-2 card slots. Wireless tethering.

Justin: 26MP APS-C crop mode.

No bottle opener...

Dave

Edited by pierces

I have to admit that the croppability (my new word for the day) with the improved focusing and stabilization puts this into the same reasoning bubble that I wanted a hot APS-C camera for. The massive resolution would act as a useable digital zoom but would require some truly high-performance glass to make it effective. I suppose that glass that resolves nicely on APS-C at 24MP would do well on the 60MP sensor since the photosites are pretty much the same size. There may be some physics involved that disprove that theory and the APS-C sensor only sees the shiny center of the full-frame image circle. Time and endless reviews will tell.

Still, I was hoping for a little-body supercamera.

Sony is sure setting the bar these days.

Dave

I still hold hopes for a compact APS-C body with high performance, however, the 61Mp sensor res definitely makes this the first full frame camera that is within my consideration, with that crop resolution of 26MP.  I could use it in crop mode if wanted/needed, or use it in full res and do my own cropping as needed.  I've got good glass to use with it for my long-lens shooting, so no real worries there - though I do wonder how handholdable it will be at full-res and 400-600mm with that many MP - looking forward to seeing more on that.  Of course, it still stands to be seen whether that real-time tracking is up to or close to A9 abilities at 10fps...if it tracks like the A7RIII, it wouldn't be all that impressive for me and the high-speed targets I often shoot - but if it's more in line with the A9, or even A6400 with that much more resolution, it could be a real killer camera.

I think I still want to hear for sure what the other 3 new cameras will be - one is certainly an RX, the other could be the A9 sequel...maybe the 3rd could be that APS-C beast.

16 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

I still hold hopes for a compact APS-C body with high performance, however, the 61Mp sensor res definitely makes this the first full frame camera that is within my consideration, with that crop resolution of 26MP.  I could use it in crop mode if wanted/needed, or use it in full res and do my own cropping as needed.  I've got good glass to use with it for my long-lens shooting, so no real worries there - though I do wonder how handholdable it will be at full-res and 400-600mm with that many MP - looking forward to seeing more on that.  Of course, it still stands to be seen whether that real-time tracking is up to or close to A9 abilities at 10fps...if it tracks like the A7RIII, it wouldn't be all that impressive for me and the high-speed targets I often shoot - but if it's more in line with the A9, or even A6400 with that much more resolution, it could be a real killer camera.

I think I still want to hear for sure what the other 3 new cameras will be - one is certainly an RX, the other could be the A9 sequel...maybe the 3rd could be that APS-C beast.

Note that there is an actual crop mode that triples the burst depth. I would also assume that the focusing engine is on the order of the A9 since it is a brand new high-resolution entry and wouldn't really cannibalize A9 sales.

My only reason left to support the Hot APS-C is price. The slightly greater weight (200g) is easily ignored and the size is close enough that I wouldn't have to change my carry gear. 

May have to re-think storage on the new computer for future-proofing.

I am so conflicted.

Dave

I would throw in one other factor, at least for me, that would be important: viewfinder real-time refresh or black-out-free view, like the A9...or at least the live refresh of the A6300/6500/6400 where you get a stuttered view but showing a current still.  The A7RIII and A7III to me still have a more noticeable lag when trying to burst-shoot and follow faster or erratic subjects, both being worse than the A6300 for me, and far behind the A9.  My hopes for the super-APS-C camera was a mini-A9, including not just the amazing tracking ability but also the blackout free viewfinder and fast full-electronic shutter scan rate.  I can't see the new A7RIV having the full scan rate of the A9, and nothing indicates in the early specs that the viewfinder can achieve the 'live feed' view during bursts...that would be a pretty critical feature for me.

Another announcement next week?

35mm f/1.8 lens last week.

A7r IV this week? 

I hope it's not a new branded camera bag or something lame like that.

Lord, I promise to eat my vegetables like a good boy if it is the Hot APS-C camera....

(Haven't used that angle in a while!)

Dave

Edited by pierces

While I would strongly consider this camera as an APS-C wildlife shooter - IF the viewfinder is at least at A6300 levels of live feed or display, as the resolution is perfect...the main reasons to hold out for APS-C would be price (I can afford the price on this model, but it would feel a little strange paying that much to use it so often in crop mode, especially if a crop camera comes along with this spec or better at 1/2 the price)...and the possibility of a high-end sports/wildlife APS-C body that has full A9 specs (buffer size, speed, focus and tracking, electronic shutter read-out speed, and full blackout free viewfinder).  I can wait a little longer to see what the next 3 cameras are, just in case one is APS-C.

48 minutes ago, zackiedawg said:

While I would strongly consider this camera as an APS-C wildlife shooter - IF the viewfinder is at least at A6300 levels of live feed or display, as the resolution is perfect...the main reasons to hold out for APS-C would be price (I can afford the price on this model, but it would feel a little strange paying that much to use it so often in crop mode, especially if a crop camera comes along with this spec or better at 1/2 the price)...and the possibility of a high-end sports/wildlife APS-C body that has full A9 specs (buffer size, speed, focus and tracking, electronic shutter read-out speed, and full blackout free viewfinder).  I can wait a little longer to see what the next 3 cameras are, just in case one is APS-C.

That is sort of where I am on the A7R IV. If I were to get one, I would likely sell my A7 III and use it as the primary. Since I like to change lenses as seldom as possible while travelling, using it for extra reach in crop mode with a telephoto would require me to do just that. If I kept the A7 III and used the A7r IV as the alternate body...well, that's just silly.

I will join your vigil awaiting the Hot APS-C camera and leave the big megapixels for a later decision.

The A7r IV sure is a shiny thing. Right?

Dave