how informal can you get away with on Cunard Britannia formal nights

mef_57

There was a glitch in the system yesterday and about 20 solo cruisers scored rooms on Cunard Queen Elizabeth Canary Islands cruise over Christmas. As it is 12 days, there are 3 gala nights - black and white, Christmas and Royal Cunard all with balls. Cunard has separate dining rooms per room tier, so for Britannia (aka 'steerage', ha ha) we don't know how to dress. If it is just dinner, can we get away with black dress pants, black or white top and a silver lame scarf or something? If you have looked at the models and formal outfits on their website, you can see how it is a little intimidating.

Thanks for any insight

mef_57, I do hope you will take the advice above and post your question on the Cunard board.

One thing I could note is that the evening dress codes apply through most of the ship's public rooms (theater, etc.) and not just the dining room.

As well, the non-formal nights also have a minimum standard, i.e. no shorts, apart from a few areas such as the buffet.

Please do re-post; you will get lots of good information!

And have a wonderful cruise!

mef_57, I do hope you will take the advice above and post your question on the Cunard board.

One thing I could note is that the evening dress codes apply through most of the ship's public rooms (theater, etc.) and not just the dining room.

As well, the non-formal nights also have a minimum standard, i.e. no shorts, apart from a few areas such as the buffet.

Please do re-post; you will get lots of good information!

And have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you for the wishes and the support. I was asking more for another traveller who was thinking she had 'nothing to wear', but we have a small and supportive roll call. With some tips and links to actual ship guest photos, we have been able to fill in the gaps. It is amazing what the back of the closet produces;) I sew, so will make up a couple of chiffon caplets for over black items to fit the ball gala themes and dusted off my '90s rhinestone bling. I think we are on our way. Thanks again.

For my first black and white ball on Cunard I shopped everywhere for a black and white dress without success. I bought a black evening gown and had a local jeweller make me a black and white statement necklace, earrings and bracelet. Most people had black dresses (evening gowns to cocktail dresses) with a few exceptions. All this to say I need not have fretted. I had more " black and white" than most! You will find the entire spectrum of dress at the theme balls from beautiful gowns to black pants and sparkly tops so don't get too stressed over it. The suggestion in the post about a little black dress and changing it up with scarfs/jewelry/jackets Is great because it always works for just about anywhere!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Cancun01