Xrail Exploration to Jade Cavern (4 seater vehicle)

elektrawmn

Hello all!

We'll be in Cozumel in April 2019 (Brilliance)

Normally, I would check out a private tour; however, this time we will have my daughter's friend with us and I would prefer to stay with a ship sponsored excursion since her parents will not be with us. Not to mention, I've checked and there are SEVEN ships in port that day, which in my experience is a madhouse.

That being said, I'd like input on the Xrail to Jade Caverns. RCCL is offering a 4 seater vehicle, which would work perfectly for us.

Pros & cons?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, mitsugirly said:

Just wondering if you did this excursion in April and what you thought about it? We are considering our options and this looks like fun.

We did!    We actually lucked out and were the ONLY ones from our ship doing the tour and only 12 other people from other ships.    It was so much fun.   The Xrails ran great.   The cenote was a bit of a disappointment (I had different expectations).  Our tour guide was great and make sure you do the tequila tasting at the end.    I think it was totally worth the money.  You're actually driving for 30-45 minutes each way through the "jungle".

Enjoy!

4 hours ago, elektrawmn said:

We did!    We actually lucked out and were the ONLY ones from our ship doing the tour and only 12 other people from other ships.    It was so much fun.   The Xrails ran great.   The cenote was a bit of a disappointment (I had different expectations).  Our tour guide was great and make sure you do the tequila tasting at the end.    I think it was totally worth the money.  You're actually driving for 30-45 minutes each way through the "jungle".

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Glad you enjoyed it. It seems like an awesome adventure. 

What didn't you like about the cenote? Was it the color of the water or ..... ?  I've seen some beautiful pictures of it and being crystal clear and blue like the ocean...then I've seen some that are dark and muddy looking. I'm just wondering what experience you had?

Does the tequila tasting cost extra? I'm not too sure I'd like that. LOL

It was not as “grand” as I thought it would be.   One guy from our group jumped in, but we were a little sketched out Lol.  The sulphur smell is overwhelming and LOTS of insects.     The water is so dark and it’s about 30-50 ft deep if I remember correctly.     The tequila tasting was free but they want you to buy it of course.   Prices for that were reasonable.   The flavors were really good!

On 6/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, elektrawmn said:

It was not as “grand” as I thought it would be.   One guy from our group jumped in, but we were a little sketched out Lol.  The sulphur smell is overwhelming and LOTS of insects.     The water is so dark and it’s about 30-50 ft deep if I remember correctly.     The tequila tasting was free but they want you to buy it of course.   Prices for that were reasonable.   The flavors were really good!

So I have seen videos of people jumping in and I can only assume there has to be a way out like a ladder or something to climb out. If you don't want to jump, can you just go over to where they get out and get in? I imagine you get pretty dirty on this excursion and hot and a nice dip in the water would be nice. I'm not sure if I would jump or not but would like to get in the water if possible.

What made you sketched out? Was it the height involved in jumping? Possible rocks that you could hit on the way down? Not knowing what was in the dark water under there? Had it been raining which could have caused the water to be so dark? It's just weird that some pictures show it clear blue and others dark brown. I'm just wondering if it depends on the weather and if there has been rain in the previous days?

I'm thinking I'm going to book this, but will probably book with a vendor instead of the ship.

It’s a small dock you can walk to the end of and jump in and a ladder to get out.    Most of the cenote tours do t let you jump off the rocks anymore.    I would double check prior to booking.    

Sketched out meaning it’s not the “paradise” it looks like in the photos.   There’s not a zero entry point to walk in.... just that one dock and 30+ feet of water

The xrail ride is so worth it.    Just remember to have closed toe shoes on!

So one other question...

I know you said that you booked the excursion with the cruise ship, but I assume they also use the vendors that you book with privately as well (Such as Wild Tours), well I'm wondering how far of a ride is it to get to the tour place where you picked up your xrail buggies?

The place we are booking with is located (from looking at the map) quite a bit of distance from the cruise port and located in a place called El Cedral. Does this sound familiar and did it take awhile to get there?

Honestly, I would book with the cruise ship especially if there are a lot of ships in port on the day you go.   Getting a taxi can be a little hectic when there are tons of people all trying to do the same thing.

Another reason we didn't book directly because my daughter's friend was with us and not being her parent, I wanted any kind of trip liability to be in someone else's hands.  LOL    

We were in the taxi for about 20 minutes to get to Wild Tours.    The cruise excursion includes transportation to and from the port which was one last thing to worry about.   

Don't forget to stay on SHIP time!  (an hour difference than Cozumel time)

On 6/19/2019 at 10:47 AM, elektrawmn said:

Honestly, I would book with the cruise ship especially if there are a lot of ships in port on the day you go.   Getting a taxi can be a little hectic when there are tons of people all trying to do the same thing.

Another reason we didn't book directly because my daughter's friend was with us and not being her parent, I wanted any kind of trip liability to be in someone else's hands.  LOL    

We were in the taxi for about 20 minutes to get to Wild Tours.    The cruise excursion includes transportation to and from the port which was one last thing to worry about.   

Don't forget to stay on SHIP time!  (an hour difference than Cozumel time)

We usually don't book with the cruise line if we can do it on our own (and it's usually much cheaper). However, I looked into it just for the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about transportation.

The cruise line states: $89 per person (whether child or adult), 3 1/2 hours long...and most importantly...NO cameras or phones allowed. This pretty much puts a damper on things since I take hundreds of pictures along the way and there's no way I'd go on a tour without it. 😞

The private company I'm looking at is: $63 per person (whether child or adult) but they also offer the option of having your own buggy and not sharing with another person if you don't have enough people (4) in your party (and it's only $26 more). 3 1/2 hour tour, no mention of not being able to have a camera in the "restrictions" area. But then I have to add (I'm told) $19 for 3 people for the cab x2 (both there and back). 

To me, it sounds like the cruise company is using the same company as this place, so I'm not sure why the rules would be different. However, I'm going to message them and see what they say about the camera. 

We have a TON of pictures and my daughter even used her GOPro

Normally you can’t use cameras if you’re going to the San Gervasio ruins.   (Or any other ruins). Found a couple of pics of cenote

The dune buggy and cenote place even rents GoPro attachments for your helmets.   

8233CD91-D6C2-4F8A-8458-CAD2173C8B01.jpeg

90FA5A13-7D4D-41F3-A2A0-192B57E8B527.jpeg

Mitsugirly,

El Cederal is down the west side past Paradise Beach and Playa Mia but before Playa Palancar. But on the inland side of the road.  Old Mayan village ruins and some cheap craft kiosks.  The Jade Cavern is near there, just a bit difficult to get to except using these vehicles. From pictures I've seen these are similar but not as extensive as the ones around Playa Del Carmen.  

25 minutes ago, elektrawmn said:

Normally you can’t use cameras if you’re going to the San Gervasio ruins.   (Or any other ruins). Found a couple of pics of cenote

8233CD91-D6C2-4F8A-8458-CAD2173C8B01.jpeg

90FA5A13-7D4D-41F3-A2A0-192B57E8B527.jpeg

What makes you think you can't use cameras at San Gervasio and how is this relevant to this tour?

On 6/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, elektrawmn said:

Thanks for the info. I did contact the "private" vendor and they said cameras are allowed. It's just weird that the cruise site says they do not allow cameras but yet they use the same vendor. 

On 6/21/2019 at 3:39 PM, crewsweeper said:

Mitsugirly,

El Cederal is down the west side past Paradise Beach and Playa Mia but before Playa Palancar. But on the inland side of the road.  Old Mayan village ruins and some cheap craft kiosks.  The Jade Cavern is near there, just a bit difficult to get to except using these vehicles. From pictures I've seen these are similar but not as extensive as the ones around Playa Del Carmen.  

Oh ok, that gives me a better understanding then since we've been to all of those beaches.