Southern Alps, land of Lord of the Rings

sweify54

Hi

We are a couple 60 & 50, would like to book the above tour, unfortunately, we couldn't book it through our cruise, Viking Orion, as it was sold out. We will be in Christchurch next December 25, as it was mentioned in the details of the tour it's almost 8 hours duration:

0830 AM-0430 PM, for USD 269 PP.

We would be so grateful if someone could suggest our options and, recommended tour agent.

Thanks a lot for your help and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting that you mention this. I am planning on visiting AUS / NZ but with Collette rather than by cruise. Two of the 'must-see' places are, as you referred to - the Southern Alps area around Queenstown where much of the movie was filmed. Collette offers what is called the "Journey through Middle Earth" excursion. The other is in Rotorua where the preserved movie set is. You can visit Hobbiton and the Green Dragon Inn - some of the tours there look pretty amazing. I haven't done much research on cruise lines that offer either or both of these, but I assume many do. There has been talk of Collette possibly discontinuing (or at least limiting) the availability of both of these, so if that is the case I will more seriously consider the possibility of cruising if I know a company that definitely offers these options. Good luck and do report back about it after you've been there!

You can visit Hobbiton and the Green Dragon Inn - some of the tours there look pretty amazing. I haven't done much research on cruise lines that offer either or both of these, but I assume many do.

Hobbiton tour can be done as a cruise ship tour from Tauranga, either thru the ship or independent operators. We used Zealandier Tours & they were great. The Hobbiton experience is excellent.

We are on Radiance of the Seas this December and we had an excursion booked through Royal that went to Mount Sunday ( where Edoras was built). But last week we got an email from Royal that the excursion was cancelled. They said the vendor that does this excursion cancelled. We are bummed that we wont be able to see it now.

Cool Cruiser, please check my reply on the thread for our cruise. We are very interested in joining you and scheduling an independent tour to that area and we have one picked out. We are in contact with the tour guide and need another couple to share the costs. Please reply ASP

Sweify 54, this is Nogales and I want to reach you ASAP. We are in the same situation as to the Christchurch tour and would like to join up with you and book an independent tour. We have several in mind. Please reply to this post.