Preschooler on a cruise

Pattywac

we are putting together our first ever cruise and I must choose between 2 different lines (both western Caribbean 7 days). We are a party of 4 (me, husband, adult daughter and 4 yr old grandson). Last year we took him to Disney, and I’m hoping this trip will be another wonderful experience with great memories.

Has anyone experienced the children’s programs on Carnival Dream and RCL Enchanchment of the Seas? Did your child enjoy it? Were there many age appropriate activities for them on board?

Lastly we want to take him to stingray city. Has anyone done this with a 4 1/2 yr old and did they enjoy it?

Thank you!

I liked stingray city, but that was before I had kids. The stingrays are completely wild animals - they live in the ocean and started gathering in that spot because it was where fishermen dumped their chum leftover from fishing, and they got an easy meal. Someone later realized this would be great for tourists. The grand cayman island has a really nice turtle farm and I can certainly recommend that.

We took our daughter, aged 2,5 at the time of the cruise, to Stingary City.

We´ve been there before kids so were pretty sure, what to expect.

We opted to go with Cpt. Marvins, taking us out on a sorkel and Stingray excursion with about 10 other guests.

At the snorkel stops one of us stayed on the boat with dd and the other got to snorkel, taking turns. At the sandbar, we took dd with us in the water. DD wearing a lifevest and being on Daddys or my arm all the time.

She was pretty shy, but petted a stingray.

I´d say it was a great day out for all us.

We just went on the Carnival Sunshine with my 3 yeard old daughter, plus my 2.5 year old neice and 5.5 year old nephew. They had a great time at Camp Carnival! My daughter went to camp a few nights after dinner so that we could enjoy some of the entertainment around the ship. We dropped her off after we ate our main courses but before dessert was served, because she wanted to eat with us. My neice and nephew ate dinner with the camp a couple of times and enjoyed that as well. They also went to camp during the day one sea day. The staff had lots of activities for the kids - crafts and coloring, play dough, toys to play with, movies, and an outdoor playground. Because our kids were younger, we also got a free cellphone to keep for the duration of the cruise. We could use it to call and check on the kids, or the camp staff could call us if there was an issue.

I'm not sure about the Dream, but the Sunshine has a waterworks area that was great on sea days. The main pool was pretty crowded, so we spent a lot of time on the waterslides. One day in port, we waited to get off the ship until after lunch and got to enjoy the main pool almost to ourselves that morning. The kids loved that too.

We have not done the Dream, but my youngest started in camp at 2 and has always loved it...he is 14 now. The programs are consistent throughout the various Carnival ships and are well loved. I am not an RCI fan because the ship has an elitist feel and the staff are reserved and distant...and I thought the food was mediocre.

As for sting ray city, it depends on the child. My youngest didn't want to get in the water when he was 4, so we took turns on the boat with him. Even at 9, we was still quite afraid of them, though he did get in for a bit as long as I held him; he was more comfortable swimming the with sharks in Belize that trip! His older brother however would swim with either of them at any age.

When our son was 3 and 4, we took him on his first two cruises on Grandeur, which was sister ship to Enchantment (before they stretched it). I thought this size ship was perfect for him. He liked the kids club, even though it was small. He loved the WJ and pool. As he grew, we started going on bigger ships with more bells and whistles, but the smaller ships were fine when he was that age. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums