Can you walk to Acadia Nat'l Park from downtown Bar Harbor?

Norovirus595

To my great sadness/surprise, it looks like the Island Explorer bus stops running two days before my visit to Acadia.

Are there any routes to/from the park that are conveniently walkable? I don't mind hoofing it for a mile or two. Looking for some opportunities for quiet/mild hikes in the park, but without the free bus it looks like the only real options are book a tour or a taxi.

Am I wrong?

Just to the entrance it's about 2 miles from Main Street/The Green in Bar Harbor, but if you want to start getting up the mountain you are looking at a decent climb and I don't think there are sidewalks in the park

Someone like Woody's cab would still be doing private tours and their should still be tour on Ollie's Trolley if ships are still calling there? The park is huge and you would have to walk miles to get to overlooks etc. Unfortunately renting a car isn't easy there (have to get to airport etc.)

There was a recent thread titled - Walk to Acadia National Park From Tender drop off

Here's what I posted in reply:

I think it is a little more than a mile (from the tender dock). But the real question would be what can I do by entering the park that way. There is nothing within walking distance from where you entered the park with the exception of hiking to the top of Cadillac Mountain on the North Ridge Trail, but I'm not too sure where the trail head would be vs where you entered the park. In season and if you are on the Park Loop Rd, you could flag down the Island Explorer bus.....

I would say my reply answers your question. The only other options would be hiring a taxi or an independent tour.

However, take a look at Toms Port Guide for Bar Harbor which has information on the Bar Harbor Great Meadow Loop Trail (page 12). It may be what you are looking for.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...