What's The Problem With the Meraviglia

April42749

I sailed on the Davina a couple of years ago and loved it despite "not the best" reviews. I have the Meraviglia booked for 10/2019....and have been reading the ( really awful) reviews. It seems nobody has anything good to say.

I generally don't care about bad reviews, but I can't seen to find good reviews for this ship.

I have no interest in the Yacht Club. I have no interest in drinks (although we have some drink package). I actually have limited interest in the food (save but for the pizza) as long as fruit and vegetables are available in the buffet.

I care about the the entertainment and the "international ambience" of the ship. I care about a decent gym with adequate exercise machines. I care about decent service, but I don't expect every worker to become "my bestie" for the week.

So....can someone comment? Will this ship be completely different from the Davina?

I've never sailed it, but I think you're right to not care about the negative reviews. So many people on here complain about everything. It's your vacation and it's what you make it. Enjoy the fact that you're cruising, that your able to do it, and enjoy your vacation. Go and live it up! Naysayers be damned!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

We loved Meraviglia! I've had some positive reviews, but I guess you may have not read mine?

We sailed April 2018 in an aft balcony. And I just booked an interior room the end of October. So yeah, I'm a fan!

In April we had late dining, so I can't really comment too much about the entertainment. Our friends went to both Cirque shows and really enjoyed those.

We ate at Eataly the food market, the Ristorante Italiano, and Chef's Table - loved!! - and Butcher's Cut. We actually spent more time eating not in the MDR, but the MDR was nice too. Same - we did not book the drink package, as we got the 12 vouchers ea w the Fantastic experience. Our friends booked the Drink package.

Our room was spacious... service was great. Really enjoyed the food. Loved the 70's night! That was so much fun.

And my husband has requested that I bring him some of the chocolate macaroons back from the chocolate shop. So good!

I'm really looking fwd to sailing on Meraviglia again. This time I'll probably explore more of the boat.

• Like 1

The inner layout of the Meraviglia is totally different from the Seaside or even the Fantastica class ships. Maybe people used to the others ships don't like it. I have cruised with the Meraviglia and found it very enjoyable !

Having sailed on both Divina and Meraviglia (both in the YC) I can say that international ambiance is present on both ships. However Meraviglia feels very crowded as the layout of the public spaces makes people migrate to the area close to the LED roof. At peak times it is impossible to make any progress in any direction and You can become stuck in the crowd and feel claustrophobic. I was very glad to have the YC to retreat to.

I would only sail again on Meraviglia in the YC.

Thanks for the feedback.......

To Skier52....I live in Manhattan, NYC and take the subway. "Crowds & pushing" are my norms....lol

My real concern is the overall atmosphere including "fellow passengers" and entertainment.

So, all seems good. If anyone can put links to "good reviews" I'd appreciate that.

Thanks

Seaside had some terrible reviews initially.

Pam and I sailed onboard her in September and had a wonderful time.

Each ship and each cruise line has its own pros and cons.

Nobody’s perfect.

One can choose to make the most of their vacation or they can perceive the worst of it.

I sailed on the Davina a couple of years ago and loved it despite "not the best" reviews. I have the Meraviglia booked for 10/2019....and have been reading the ( really awful) reviews. It seems nobody has anything good to say.

I generally don't care about bad reviews, but I can't seen to find good reviews for this ship.

I have no interest in the Yacht Club. I have no interest in drinks (although we have some drink package). I actually have limited interest in the food (save but for the pizza) as long as fruit and vegetables are available in the buffet.

I care about the the entertainment and the "international ambience" of the ship. I care about a decent gym with adequate exercise machines. I care about decent service, but I don't expect every worker to become "my bestie" for the week.

So....can someone comment? Will this ship be completely different from the Davina?

Are you on the 10/8/19 to Canada? We are too!

Are you on the 10/8/19 to Canada? We are too!

No, we're on the 10/18. I was originally on the 10/8, but there was "a conflict". Personally, I prefer your itinerary, never been to Quebec. But, I'm excited just to sail MSC out of NY.

I really loved the Divina experience.....I'm a very blingy person.....and I'm hoping the Meraviglia won't disappoint.

No, we're on the 10/18. I was originally on the 10/8, but there was "a conflict". Personally, I prefer your itinerary, never been to Quebec. But, I'm excited just to sail MSC out of NY.

I really loved the Divina experience.....I'm a very blingy person.....and I'm hoping the Meraviglia won't disappoint.

Sorry to hear that. That’s what I like about this one. Different ports that we haven’t been to. I’m thinking of the Divina in Jan 2020. We’re in the YC on this one. How did you like the Divina?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are booked to sail on Meraviglia in March next year. I really think you have to make up your own mind. Everyone seems to take different things away and have difference expectations. We had an awful experience on Celebrity, but that was just our one cruise, others probably had far better experiences. I am really looking forward to March to make up my own mind.

• Like 1

April,

We sailed on the Meraviglia last year and had a fantastic time onboard. While we can't compare to the Divina, we loved the ambiance, the food, the crew and the ports enough that we decided to book the exact same cruise, albeit this time we are going to try the Yacht Club. We didn't see any of the main theater shows last time as we spent a lot of that time people watching or lounge hoppping, but did catch a Cirque show (Sonor) which was very good. As far as the crowding, we only noticed major crowds in the promenade whenever there was a big event going on in the area, but I would not consider them any worse than any of Royal 's ships when they have a major function in the promenade. There were plenty of fresh fruits and veggies up in the Buffet, with a whole section of it dedicated to just that right up front, so you would not even have to go searching for it.

I am pretty sure we will do another review for our upcoming trip, whether its live, semi live or an extended post trip remains to be seen. If you have not seen our one from last year, here is a link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2576948

Hope this helps a bit

-Shane and Macon

• Like 2

I also think you have to make up your own mind.

For us, the ship was stunning, the rest was not. The food, service and entertainment sadly let the whole experience down. I will say we are NOT fussy or demanding people- we sail on mainstream cruise lines like NCL in the cheapest inside cabin, so we're not expecting butlers and caviar. We aren't 'complainers', and I'd like to think in my reviews I talk about the good as much as the bad.

You will certainly get the 'international atmosphere' you are looking for. If that's a positive for you then great. There is always pizza in the buffet and there is salad. The MDR was bad- a problem for us, not for you by the sound of it. So you should be happier with the food than we were.

As I say... make up your own mind! Maybe we were unlucky. Don't miss the Galleria parties and the chocolate shop! Yum.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

Shane & Macon-

Thank you for your review. It sounds perfect for us.

We are "low-maintenance".....as long as the pizza is as good as the Divina, and there's fruit/vegetables (maybe some fish), I'm good. (Late dining...lol. We go to they gym and then have our main meal about 3pm. It's the buffet for us!)

The spa sounds great. The cruise is over a year away, but I'm going to look into pre-paying and getting the massage for $5 more.

Also, I'm going to book the cirque shows.

I'm hoping "the international atmosphere" is European. Although I am used to crowds and pushing, I cannot compete with the Asians.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 12:39 AM, April42749 said:

We are recently returned following a 19 night cruise from Hamburg down into, and around, the Western Med. We did Yacht Club, so cannot comment on MDR/buffet food or service.

With regard to your specific concerns: 1) We found the theatre show entertainment to be generally good. We went to both of the Cirque de Soleil shows, both phenomenal so do not miss...take the cocktail option, the seats are closer to the action areas! 2) There was without doubt an international ambience, which we enjoy. 3) The gym looks amazing, although we didn't use it. 4) Some of the staff out and about in the ship seemed surly, but the vast majority we found to be good...we didn't encamp in the Yacht Club all the time! 5) You mentioned bling also, that is in abundance so a def yes for that.

We have sailed on 43 cruises, on 13 different cruiselines, and often read poor reviews....then wondered if these people were on the same ship or cruise.....go with a good attitude and all will be well.

There is only one problem that we encountered with 'traffic flow' on the ship, due to the location of the Broadway Theatre. It sits at one end of the promenade deck (6) and there is only one entry/exit point for the theatre. That means when the show ends everyone exits into the promenade area, and it is like NYC Broadway on a Saturday night when all the shows finish and everyone heads to Times Square....no exaggeration, albeit on a much smaller scale! Many go left into the bar area just before the chocolate shop, where the dance crew do their thing. The remainder amble down the promenade to the Atrium area, and that is a slow walk. To avoid that, upon exiting the theatre, you can immediately climb the stairs to deck 7 and walk along to the atrium area that way....much quicker, as very few seemed to clock this.

Enjoy, when it comes around. 

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

We are recently returned following a 19 night cruise from Hamburg down into, and around, the Western Med. We did Yacht Club, so cannot comment on MDR/buffet food or service.

With regard to your specific concerns: 1) We found the theatre show entertainment to be generally good. We went to both of the Cirque de Soleil shows, both phenomenal so do not miss...take the cocktail option, the seats are closer to the action areas! 2) There was without doubt an international ambience, which we enjoy. 3) The gym looks amazing, although we didn't use it. 4) Some of the staff out and about in the ship seemed surly, but the vast majority we found to be good...we didn't encamp in the Yacht Club all the time! 5) You mentioned bling also, that is in abundance so a def yes for that.

We have sailed on 43 cruises, on 13 different cruiselines, and often read poor reviews....then wondered if these people were on the same ship or cruise.....go with a good attitude and all will be well.

There is only one problem that we encountered with 'traffic flow' on the ship, due to the location of the Broadway Theatre. It sits at one end of the promenade deck (6) and there is only one entry/exit point for the theatre. That means when the show ends everyone exits into the promenade area, and it is like NYC Broadway on a Saturday night when all the shows finish and everyone heads to Times Square....no exaggeration, albeit on a much smaller scale! Many go left into the bar area just before the chocolate shop, where the dance crew do their thing. The remainder amble down the promenade to the Atrium area, and that is a slow walk. To avoid that, upon exiting the theatre, you can immediately climb the stairs to deck 7 and walk along to the atrium area that way....much quicker, as very few seemed to clock this.

Enjoy, when it comes around. 

Hi All!

Ah ha! The first "tip" for cruising the Meraviglia....after you learn to spell it! I too am sailing out of NYC on October 8th 2019. Unfortunately reading the reviews....it seems the "good" and "bad" are separated by one ominous phrase: "The Yacht Club"!

I am sailing solo and certainly cannot afford paying double at yacht club prices. The Studio Cabins at 133 sq ft are the size of some lines standard inside cabins and are truly a single fare...not the astronomical fares for NCL studios [after the first few are booked] where a solo can get a lower fare getting a standard inside cabin. 

If you read the Meraviglia's CruiseCritic official review...they give it 5 out of 5! 

I wonder if when the ship arrives in America...if certain European Style "differences" will be adjusted by the line...so that the Americans will be happier with a product that they are used to? [i.e. Free water at dinner, announcements NOT in 5 languages?, etc...] 

HLR

On 10/8/2018 at 4:42 PM, April42749 said:

Shane & Macon-

The spa sounds great. The cruise is over a year away, but I'm going to look into pre-paying and getting the massage for $5 more.

Hi Shane And Macon!

Where are you seeing this add a massage for $5 more deal? I see the Thermal Spa Pass for $195 for the 10 day cruise Cct 8 2019...but nothing adding to it...hmmm...

HLR

9 hours ago, HLR said:

....Ah ha! The first "tip" for cruising the Meraviglia....after you learn to spell it! I too am sailing out of NYC on October 8th 2019. Unfortunately reading the reviews....it seems the "good" and "bad" are separated by one ominous phrase: "The Yacht Club"!....] 

Yes, I would agree reading the reviews there is a clear split. In my comments, I have (apart from dining) made reference to areas outwith the yacht club and we enjoyed most of the ship!

9 hours ago, HLR said:

9 hours ago, HLR said:

Hi Shane And Macon!

Where are you seeing this add a massage for $5 more deal? I see the Thermal Spa Pass for $195 for the 10 day cruise Cct 8 2019...but nothing adding to it...hmmm...

HLR

If you like the spa, and would use it often, then that is a fantastic deal...the thermal spa area is amazing, we didn't use it but walked around it to see.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:42 AM, hamrag said:

If you like the spa, and would use it often, then that is a fantastic deal...the thermal spa area is amazing, we didn't use it but walked around it to see.

I totally intend to book the thermal spa! But still waiting a response on this "$5 more for a massage" mentioned in message #18 here.

HLR

PS...I am finally figuring out where features have migrated to on the new site like "Message Preview" which is VERY cool as you can view it as it will appear on different device formats....still can't find a few things...is there a tutorial?