Colosseum Underground Tour

gatorchinsky

We booked the Colosseum Underground Tour with a recommended tour comapny for our pre cruise Rome visit in June (2019). I have a question regarding an email we received from this company and want to make sure that what they are requesting is accurate. They say that the Colosseum requires them to collect the names and full birthdates of all participants. May be I’m just being paranoid but I wanted to see if this is actually true. Please let me know if you have done this tour and if you provided this information. Thank you!!

I just booked a similar tour also for June 2019 (possible Jewel of the Seas neighbors?) and ours says we have to bring our passports on the tour. I would much rather leave them in the hotel safe than carry them around all day. I’ve been to the Colosseum twice before and this wasn’t the case so I am also curious to hear from those who have been more recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we just booked the Colosseum Underground Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill for next April with The Roman Guy.  We were asked for a list of first and last names and full birthdates of all participants.  The instructions also say to carry a copy of the identification page of your passport.  I checked the official online ticket office for the Colosseum at https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm and if you page down and look at the stern gate information on the right hand side it states "when accessing the stern gate, in front of via labicana, it is compulsory to show at the ticket office a list with the names and the dates of birth of the participants on letterhead stamped and signed.  groups must show the list on the agency’s letterhead."  It also states later that the stern gate is dedicated to, among other things, tours of the "underground and belvedre."  So, although I was doubtful at first I think this is something that is required for underground tours.

We took the Roman Guy tour of the Colosseum Underground in September. We also had to give our full names and DOB. We carried copies of our passports with no problem. You didn't ask, but we were not overly impressed with this tour. You will see the reconstructed elevator and little else. In our opinion, it was not worth the extra cost. 

We just arrived home from a Mediterranean cruise and we went on a private tour at the Colosseum.

When we arrived at the meeting place, we were given a clipboard to write down our names and birth dates.

This is then given to security and then they will determine if they will do an in depth search before admittance of your group.

Apparently, we were only required to open our bags/ purses and they also scanned them with their scanning tools.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:07 PM, w1234 said:

Hi, we just booked the Colosseum Underground Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill for next April with The Roman Guy.  We were asked for a list of first and last names and full birthdates of all participants.  The instructions also say to carry a copy of the identification page of your passport.  I checked the official online ticket office for the Colosseum at https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm and if you page down and look at the stern gate information on the right hand side it states "when accessing the stern gate, in front of via labicana, it is compulsory to show at the ticket office a list with the names and the dates of birth of the participants on letterhead stamped and signed.  groups must show the list on the agency’s letterhead."  It also states later that the stern gate is dedicated to, among other things, tours of the "underground and belvedre."  So, although I was doubtful at first I think this is something that is required for underground tours.

Thank you for this response.  This tour we booked is also with The Roman Guy so its good to know that it seems to be a normal and legitimate request.

On 10/23/2018 at 2:07 PM, circee said:

We took the Roman Guy tour of the Colosseum Underground in September. We  had to give our full names and DOB. We carried copies of our passports with no problem. You didn't ask, but we were not overly impressed with this tour. You will see the reconstructed elevator and little else. In our opinion, it was not worth the extra cost. 

The reason we picked this particular tour is that our 15 year old son wanted to see the underground portion.  I hope we all won’t be too disappointed.