Pre-Cruise Hotel Choices

B-52

Ok, booked cruise, have our airfare...now to pick a pre-cruise hotel for 3 nights.

This is tough! When searching for hotels, it comes down to 3-4 on or very near the beach that keep popping up on web searches as popular.

But reading reviews, you get the very negative to very exceptional for every one.

Seems the biggest negative comments are around small over crowded pools, lack of beach chairs, etc.

Also very busy, noisy, etc.

Not looking for anyone to tell me what to choose, just like to hear your reviews.

Keeping in mind this may be a once in a lifetime trip.

Thank You

Waikiki is very active, busy hopping kind of place. So things will be crowded and busy. Pretty much unavoidable, but it is also fun and energizing, particularly as the weather is warm around the clock. There is tons of things to do, if you choose.

We stayed one block off the beach at the Embassy Suites. The south tower has pretty good ocean views. It is a very short walk to the beach. There is lots of beach in the area, if laying in the sun is your goal.

• Like 1

I'm also partial to the Embassy Suites. It's in a great location, with a lot of food/shopping/entertainment within walking distance. Restaurant breakfast in Waikiki can be expensive, so the complimentary breakfast is a great perk.

-- Kevin

• Like 1

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village resort. It was our included pre-cruise hotel through our cruise line. We booked a second night as we came in Thursday instead of Friday that week.

Anyway, Waikiki is super crowded and touristy. But the resort was cool - didn’t take long to learn my way around, and there were restaurants and shops all around. And the beach is RIGHT there.

Only note I’ll say it’s the northern end of Waikiki, so if you plan to go to Diamondhead or anything else down Waikiki, you either walk 30 minutes (which was fine for us, but I know that’s a turn off for some) or get an Uber or other transport.

If we got back to Waikiki, we’ll look at the Hilton again. Nice staff, good accommodations. Can’t speak about the pools or beach chairs since we didn’t have time to check them out.

• 2 weeks later...

What is your budget range?

Halekulani is head and shoulders above the other hotels in Waikiki, but you pay for it. The Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider are next I'd say of the hotels on the beach.

About the only way I'll stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village is if I am in the Ali'i Tower, which has a private pool and separate check-in from the rest of the hotel. In a pinch I can tolerate the Rainbow Tower, but the over crowding of the pools and resort in general are major negatives for me.

The Outrigger hotels (Waikiki on the Beach and Reef on the Beach) are nice hotels, usually good values and good locations.

I like the Hyatt Regency a lot too, but it is an "urban resort". The hotel is on top of a three story shopping center.

Not in Waikiki, but next to it, and a long time favorite is the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel. It is on San Souci Beach, which is very quiet. It is outside the crowds of Waikiki, but you can walk into Waikiki, through the park, for dining, shopping, etc.

Budget numbers per night is important.

PS I avoid the new, "hip" hotels that get over-hyped on TripAdvisor like the Surf Jack and Vive.

PSS The Prince Waikiki is great, but not on the beach, it is on the marina.

• Like 1

We decided on the Outrigger Beach hotel, Club level beachfront view.

After reading as many reviews as I can.

The outrigger, both a pro and con, is that it is center of everything. A very busy area.

We figured why not. We are only there 3 nights pre-cruise so lets be in the center of everything.

If we were staying in Ohau for vacation and was looking for a resort for our entire stay, it would not have been the Outrigger.

6 hours ago, B-52 said:

We decided on the Outrigger Beach hotel, Club level beachfront view.

After reading as many reviews as I can.

The outrigger, both a pro and con, is that it is center of everything. A very busy area.

We figured why not. We are only there 3 nights pre-cruise so lets be in the center of everything.

If we were staying in Ohau for vacation and was looking for a resort for our entire stay, it would not have been the Outrigger.

It sounds like you were at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort vs the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. We much prefer the location of the Reef because of its quieter location.

16 hours ago, scottca075 said:

It sounds like you were at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort vs the Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort. We much prefer the location of the Reef because of its quieter location.

Yes, it came down to the two, pros and cons for both. Sine we are only there 3 nights we went for the center of action (and noise)

If it were a full vacation stay and not a pre-cruise, we would not even pick a hotel near Waikiki...

I love the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort and everything it has to offer.  Maunalua performs on Friday evenings 4-6 and often there is impromptu hula that takes place.  Love the location.  Everyone has their preferences but personally the HHV is not a property I consider and I'm not fond of the Reef location.  My absolute favorite on Waikiki is the Moana Surfrider, a room in the historic Banyan Wing with an ocean view balcony.  There are not many of those rooms but I am in heaven when I am in one.  The Outrigger Waikiki is next door and we have enjoyed staying there also.  Hope you have a great time.  Cherie