Why travel solo?

Quilcruisers

1 hour ago, Quilcruisers said:

I love this !! its sad how people are judgmental. I think it is really selfless to be able to "release" your spouse from doing things they dont really want to do. I am still struggling with releasing him because I think he does enjoy a lot of these things, he just does not know how to let his hair down and enjoy himself. He is also an all or nothing type of person, so he either feels like he has to go on every trip or none at all. I would be perfectly fine if he just wanted to do cruises every other cruise or every other year. If he would just say this it would make things easier, instead of pouting about it. He just wont be honest about what he really wants. But, when we cruise at the end of the month, he is going hunting a couple of days.

This almost sounds like my husband on our cruise in Sept.! We went to the British Islands and he's more of a warm weather person. He was so miserable and said he was bored! He skipped 2 pre-paid tours and I went alone! He's lucky that he didn't stand to close to the edge or I might've been tempted to give him a push! Flying only made him more miserable! This convinced me that it'll be a cold day in hell before I go on vacation with him. I'd be less stressed alone and not worrying about any bad moods!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve only been on one cruise so far, with my teenage son and a friend of his & mother. And the full families are going on a Caribbean cruise in April. While it was (and will be) fun and interesting - all the compromises with excursions, agreeing on schedules etc is a bit of a damper. 

So, I travel a lot for work (maybe 50-60 nights a year) so I’m used to being out by myself. And I also do a few extended weekends etc on my own for stuff that doesn’t interest husband/kid. I love shopping in London for instance, which would bore the family to death... Hubby does his trips with his friends for stuff I don’t enjoy, and I do my trips for my interests. And family trips for stuff we all enjoy. We are a family,  or a chain-gang 😉

I’m already planning to go solo for my next cruise, unless hubby gets bitten by the cruise bug and really wants to go 🙂 I

Edited by October17

On 10/17/2018 at 8:35 PM, vms said:

I'm an extroverted introvert. So I love cruising solo because I'm in control of how much social time I have. There's always someone to chat with if I want to, and there's always somewhere to sit quietly and read, craft, or just watch the ocean go by.

I've traveled with too many people who wanted to be together every moment with their travel companion. For me, solo travel is much preferred to that kind of trip because it allows me to recharge my introverted side.

Yes! Exactly!  Luckily my spouse does understand this side of me and is supportive of me going on my solo cruise in Feb.  Well said!

• 2 weeks later...

Been on six cruises, always with family.  I never have alone time and when I’m stressed I will tell family that one day I’m going away where nobody can call me. Taking my first solo cruise on RCI Adventure in January. A 65th birthday gift to my self. I haven’t told the family yet, I know they will try to talk me out of it as they will worry about my safety. Probably announcing at Christmas! Can’t wait to do as much or little as I want! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, titansrobin said:

Been on six cruises, always with family.  I never have alone time and when I’m stressed I will tell family that one day I’m going away where nobody can call me. Taking my first solo cruise on RCI Adventure in January. A 65th birthday gift to my self. I haven’t told the family yet, I know they will try to talk me out of it as they will worry about my safety. Probably announcing at Christmas! Can’t wait to do as much or little as I want! 

I hope you have a wonderful time:classic_smile: and please don't let your family talk you out of it.  I always sail solo and will continue to do so...…..I love it:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, titansrobin said:

My family’s primary means of communication is iMessage. Since I get that with ship internet, they never even know I’m gone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I went on my first cruise in November where I didn't share a cabin with anyone.  It was amazing! I went on the cruise with 2 other couples but we did our own thing and usually did dinner together and a show or 2. I am very extroverted. So much so that the night before the cruise I was at a hotel close to the cruise port. I was hoping to meet other cruisers. After sitting at a table by myself, I moved over to a table next to 3 people. Who I ended up sitting with, having a few drinks with and sharing a taxi the next morning. They were going on my cruise. Now, the 4 of us, a couple and solo traveler, have a cruise booked for next October. I've been married 21 years and my husband hates cruises. I love cruises and going solo. In January we did an 11 night for our 20th Anniversary and he complained the entire trip!  If I can't find someone to go on the next one I book, I'll go completely solo and make new friends!

Hi...a fantasy about living here? It is home yes, but not a place I would fantasize about living.  Lots of cities are on the Atlantic:classic_smile:

Well, the entire east coast is on the Atlantic LOL

If you're going to want to live on the Atlantic, it would seem from a cruising perspective, Fort Lauderdale would be my choice...

Lots of cruises from there and close-by Miami.   And withing driving distance is Palm Beach, Tampa, Port Canaveral, and even Jacksonville....

If warm climate all year is not to your liking, New York, with its three cruise ports isn't bad, either...also within driving range of Boston, Baltimore, Montreal, and Norfolk....

On 12/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, bob brown said:

If you're going to want to live on the Atlantic, it would seem from a cruising perspective, Fort Lauderdale would be my choice...

Lots of cruises from there and close-by Miami.   And withing driving distance is Palm Beach, Tampa, Port Canaveral, and even Jacksonville....

If warm climate all year is not to your liking, New York, with its three cruise ports isn't bad, either...also within driving range of Boston, Baltimore, Montreal, and Norfolk....

My condo which I just sold last week is in Broward County midway between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  It made it very easy to get cruises for both Fort Lauderdale and Miami, but I also drove to the Space Coast for cruises. I never sail out of Tampa but I had driven over to there a couple of times (easy but boring trip).  Also flights to New Orleans were not too long.  Look in that area, prices are still not too high if you are not by the coast.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really interested to read the replies on this topic.  I've done 4 cruises so far - all with my teenage daughter, and mostly on RCL although our last was on NCL.  Loved all of them.  My daughter is now at university and may be going to Australia for 6 months from summer 2019, so I am thinking of a solo cruise.  A bit worried about being lonely - I'm not someone who would want to constantly be having to talk to strangers but it is nice to strike up conversation sometimes.  It seems, reading the comments above, that perhaps you meet more people when you are on your own?  Do people recommend the Solos parties which are held on the ship?  Also, has anyone ever had a problem with unwanted attention?  It could be a problem trying to avoid someone on a ship for a whole week or more!

I almost never initiate a conversation but I did get to talk to several people on my NCL cruise.  Several people initiated a conversation in the Studio Lounge but they usually asked if  had a minute or otherwise asked if they were bothering me.  Often when I was talking to one person, others would join in and expand my contacts.  I never felt trapped and even enjoyed going to meals with some of the people.

I had enough alone time to enjoy and enough conversation to avoid isolation.  One lady talked to me for several hours straight but she was so interesting, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

There is always the library if you feel harassed.  No one ever bothered me in the library.  

45 minutes ago, oxfordgirl20 said:

I've been really interested to read the replies on this topic.  I've done 4 cruises so far - all with my teenage daughter, and mostly on RCL although our last was on NCL.  Loved all of them.  My daughter is now at university and may be going to Australia for 6 months from summer 2019, so I am thinking of a solo cruise.  A bit worried about being lonely - I'm not someone who would want to constantly be having to talk to strangers but it is nice to strike up conversation sometimes.  It seems, reading the comments above, that perhaps you meet more people when you are on your own?  Do people recommend the Solos parties which are held on the ship?  Also, has anyone ever had a problem with unwanted attention?  It could be a problem trying to avoid someone on a ship for a whole week or more!

I have just returned from my 3rd solo cruise. I normally cruise RCL but this time I did two weeks with HAL.  This cruiseline caters for an older crowd but that was a bonus because rather than people being busy with families like they are on RCI, on HAL it is alot of older couples who are very friendly and welcoming and being so well travelled they have great stories.  I was invited to sit with others in MDR, in the theatre, on shore tours.  I had a couple share a table with me at lunch and we ended up sitting there and chatting for almost 2 hours.  If you wanted to be social you could.  I never felt lonely which surprised me given the length of the cruise.

Re being bothered.  Never had an issue with that on any of my solo cruises.

As a solo, I am careful with not revealing my real name in roll calls which anyone can read or my cabin location.  

I have attended solo lunches which I have enjoyed but I tend not to go to late night solo meet ups because they are usually combined with singles and I am solo not single.

As an aside, my daughter is 21 and she is now asking me to start cruising together again.  We have done several fab land holidays together but she misses cruising.  Hope your daughter has a great time in our beautiful country.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:29 PM, aussielozzie18 said:

I have just returned from my 3rd solo cruise. I normally cruise RCL but this time I did two weeks with HAL.  This cruiseline caters for an older crowd but that was a bonus because rather than people being busy with families like they are on RCI, on HAL it is alot of older couples who are very friendly and welcoming and being so well travelled they have great stories.  I was invited to sit with others in MDR, in the theatre, on shore tours.  I had a couple share a table with me at lunch and we ended up sitting there and chatting for almost 2 hours.  If you wanted to be social you could.  I never felt lonely which surprised me given the length of the cruise.

Re being bothered.  Never had an issue with that on any of my solo cruises.

As a solo, I am careful with not revealing my real name in roll calls which anyone can read or my cabin location.  

I have attended solo lunches which I have enjoyed but I tend not to go to late night solo meet ups because they are usually combined with singles and I am solo not single.

As an aside, my daughter is 21 and she is now asking me to start cruising together again.  We have done several fab land holidays together but she misses cruising.  Hope your daughter has a great time in our beautiful country.

Thank you so much for your reply - that's really helpful.  I'm certainly going to look into the different options - and go for it!  I've seen so many positive reports of solo cruising - it's just a case of trying it for myself.  Thank you for your advice on safety and also the late night events - I am single as well as solo, but not interested in the "singles" scene!  

My daughter is already feeling a bit miffed that she won't be joining me on a cruise this year - but she can't do 6 months in Australia as well as a cruise!  I'm sure she'll have a great time in Melbourne. She'll be studying at Monash, but hoping to catch up with her half sister and family, who live just outside the city.  

Thank you again for your help.  

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, NSnJW said:

I almost never initiate a conversation but I did get to talk to several people on my NCL cruise.  Several people initiated a conversation in the Studio Lounge but they usually asked if  had a minute or otherwise asked if they were bothering me.  Often when I was talking to one person, others would join in and expand my contacts.  I never felt trapped and even enjoyed going to meals with some of the people.

I had enough alone time to enjoy and enough conversation to avoid isolation.  One lady talked to me for several hours straight but she was so interesting, it was thoroughly enjoyable.

There is always the library if you feel harassed.  No one ever bothered me in the library.  

That's good to know, thank you for posting.  I completely agree - nice to have conversation but also nice to spend time alone.  I certainly enjoy both.  I am feeling more confident now about travelling solo.  Thank you.

I leave 2 weeks from tomorrow for 2 night in Ft Lauderdale the on the Adventure 1/19 my 65th birthday. Have always said I wanted to solo cruise so it’s my gift to myself.Just told the family this week because I knew they would worry about my safety. I’m so excited!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, titansrobin said:

I leave 2 weeks from tomorrow for 2 night in Ft Lauderdale the on the Adventure 1/19 my 65th birthday. Have always said I wanted to solo cruise so it’s my gift to myself.Just told the family this week because I knew they would worry about my safety. I’m so excited!

Good for you TitanRobin!  Have a fabulous time on your birthday cruise.

I love this thread! If I ever get the nerve to sail solo, I will be remembering all the great information and support shared here.

I have a few things to mull over though.

I am a senior woman who has never traveled alone happily.

I have a medical condition that can be life threatening but has never acted up on a ship.

I will miss my husband but he really doesn't care for cruising.

Getting myself to the port and back with all my stuff makes me nervous.

I am an introvert and can't do the small talk the way others can.

Okay, I'm a Nervous Nellie but I love cruising and can't wait to go back out.

39 minutes ago, gptraveler said:

I love this thread! If I ever get the nerve to sail solo, I will be remembering all the great information and support shared here.

I have a few things to mull over though.

I am a senior woman who has never traveled alone happily.

I have a medical condition that can be life threatening but has never acted up on a ship.

I will miss my husband but he really doesn't care for cruising.

Getting myself to the port and back with all my stuff makes me nervous.

I am an introvert and can't do the small talk the way others can.

Okay, I'm a Nervous Nellie but I love cruising and can't wait to go back out.

Glad this thread has helped you but it sounds as if there are some serious issues. I don't know your age but I will be 61 in March (I guess that is considered Senior) and I have sailed solo for nearly 16 years now......it is all happily.

Sorry you have a life threatening medical condition.  Do you take meds? Many people who cruise are on meds but if it is life threatening? I don't know what that entails for you....if you feel unsafe? Then maybe going solo is not for you.

Getting to the port and back? For me? Easy Peasy…….most ports have cabs and they are readily available. Or you can do research and hire a private car to have them meet you.

You said you are nervous Nellie? I guess it depends how much you want to step outside of the box to try something new.

If you love cruising and been on them before you know how it all works...….

Good luck to you in your future travels (whatever you end up deciding to do).

GPTRAVELER - There are women out here who would love to buddy up to cruise with you!  (My husband won't fly due to mobility issues, and I think about buddying with another not-young female, to add variety in cruise destination options.) You might ask a good cruise travel agent how to explore such options. We have a church group who cruise. I think last fall over 80 folks went, surely some widows and solo cruisers included. You might contact your nearest senior citizen organization(s) for ideas. God bless you!

Edited by Etta1213

I don't have a significant other. My friends and family either don't want to cruise or want to travel on the cheap.  I travel first class.

If I did cruise with somebody, I would want separate cabins.  I have lived alone for over forty years and would find it difficult to share space.  Most people I know would balk at the idea of paying a single supplement.

I cruise solo because it is the only way I can cruise.  It's either that or stay home.

In general, people are so set into their social and friendship groups. I think that solo cruising is a great way to break all that up and make a new community where you can get to know people who don't care whether or not you went to high school with them.