Best vacation beauty tips???

samsteven

Hello, guys, I need some good tips on good skincare regime for my next beach vacation. Please help.:D

Moisturize, sunscreen, moisturize some more. Did I mention moisturize? Ship water can be very drying, as can salt water and chlorine pool, so plan to slather it on. Hair is also not going to behave itself. I would suggest a separate shampoo and conditioner, as ship water can leave hair feeling lanky so more conditioner can weigh it down more....I have fine straighter hair....it matters:(.

I now take face powder, even though I don't use it at home, because my face always seems so shiny on a cruise. I also take my own extra-body shampoo, because my hair is limp otherwise, especially if the ship shampoo contains conditioner. And a range of lipsticks, because the lighting is different.

My quirks might not be anyone else's quirks, though!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't change my skin care routine on a cruise (lots of moisturizer on face and around eyes, body lotion). Contrary to other posters, I find my fine hair is  much fuller on a cruise and I use the shampoo provided in the shower. I do spa days for hair cuts and mani-pedis on port days. DH also does spa days for massages and he likes mani-pedis, too. I like the softer water on the ships because our water at home in Florida is icky - drying and I would never drink it from the tap (drink bottled water only and cook with it, too).

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 2:42 AM, samsteven said:

Hello, guys, I need some good tips on good skincare regime for my next beach vacation. Please help.:D

If you're going on a beach vacation you'll likely be spending more time than usual in the sun.  As a result you may need to use more moisturizer than usual, and a good sunscreen is important.  Other than that, I don't do anything special for my skin for a beach vacation.

If you have an elaborate skincare routine at home and having packing limitations for your vacation, try to simplify your routine so you can take fewer lotions and potions.  Ex. You can use the same moisturizer both and night instead of two separate ones, and you can likely skip some of the "extra" steps for a week like fancy serums and eye creams

• 2 weeks later...

Being exposed to any salt, my facial skin reacts, since I have sensitive skin, anyway.  This could be the water on board a ship (that I firmly believe has a very small amount of salt in it), or being in the ocean, or being NEAR the ocean, or being exposed to the sun. 

I use gentle foaming face wash products by Neutragena.  They have a variety, and are very good, especially the Hydro Boost line.  I will mix a little of the gentle exfoliating wash with the more gentle wash about once or twice a week to make sure the surface dead skin cells are removed. 

Afterwards I use a miracle product by Dermalogica that I believe has a non-expiring shelf life:  Dermalogica After Sun Repair. It has aloe vera in it, plus other very soothing ingredients.  I lightly dab it on my face before moisturizing.  It calms down any redness within minutes.

Then, I will mix Dermacol make-up (which is very water resistant) that is just a wee bit lighter than my natural skin tone with my moisturizer, and put that on all over my face, neck, chest, and arms.  It just evens out the skin tone.  Then, sunscreen is the last to go on with a light layer.  I use Neutragena 100+ SPF.  Yes, I know anything over SPF 35 is not needed, but with fair, sensitive skin, the 100+ really helps the age spots from getting worse.  They seem to darken more with lower SPF.

That's it, and it takes me about 5 minutes to do it all.  If I have any sunburn, it looks like glowing skin after I'm done.

Edited by pcur

I have a super simple skin routine whether traveling or not: Stillwater Skin gentle cleansing gel, spray mist gentle toner and skin relief serum. These are local products I purchase at a spa in my home town and the important ingredient is cranberry seed oil, which is a wonderful antioxidant. I use these three products morning and night. Twice a week, I exfoliate with Kate Somers Exfolikate. I have travel size versions of all these that I pack for vacation.

For day time,  when traveling, I finish my skin care routine with Australian Gold tinted botanical broad screen sunscreen SPF 50. It is so light and sheer, but evens out my skin tone with the light tint.

The only other makeup I wear on vacation is Josie Maran Argan Color Stick in Summer Lovin and her highlighter stick, for cheeks, top of my forehead and eyelids. Super natural and it just provides a glow. I also use lots of chapstick with SPF 30, and at night I might use my argan sticks for my lips.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really change a thing. I find myself wearing less makeup - but that is mostly because I'm on vacation and just don't want to deal with it. It doesn't make sense to put on makeup and then go swimming (at least to me) 🙂 The ocean air can be drying though, so I agree, if you don't have oily skin, lots of moisturizer is good!

I don't change much, either.  Probably, less makeup than I'd use at home....that's about it!  I find the ship's water is much softer than mine at home, so less product goes MUCH further....not so much shampoo OR conditioner.....soft water doesn't neutralize it like harder water does.

Let your face and have a vacation from all that makeup!!!!  Unless you are going to dinner and feel the need to put on a full face of makeup, just put on a good moisturizer with a sunscreen.   For you hair, do the bare minumum - wash and condition and let it air dry.  After a week's vacation like this, my face and hair are sooo much better!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, Garv816 said:

Anyone know of a good waterproof sunscreen moisturizer? *That you've used* Thank you!!

While it isn't waterproof, I do use Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 50.  It isn't greasy, and it is suitable for sensitive skin as well.   It's easy to reapply after being in the water because it isn't heavy like many sunscreens.   When I travel, it's like my credit card, I don't leave home without it!

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

19 hours ago, ger_77 said:

While it isn't waterproof, I do use Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 50.  It isn't greasy, and it is suitable for sensitive skin as well.   It's easy to reapply after being in the water because it isn't heavy like many sunscreens.   When I travel, it's like my credit card, I don't leave home without it!

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Thank you, I will definitely give that a try!

17 hours ago, ams1130 said:

ger_77 hello from another Saskatoon traveller!

When you travel, you discover how small the world really is.  On our last cruise (Feb) to SE Asia, we were seated at a table with another couple from here - and the weirdest thing is that we all worked for the same employer!

For the OP, I did a search and you can easily get Cetaphil at Walgreens.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

On 10/8/2018 at 2:42 AM, samsteven said:

Use your normal routine but add more sunscreen--Supergoop or Drunk Elephant are both going to be really good for your face without breaking you out.  There won't be any "waterproof" sunscreen moisturizer that is good for your face due to the chemicals in them.  Just reapply regularly.

I'd also say to take care of your hair with something like Bumble & Bumble's hairdressers oil with UV protection.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Supergoop Unseen sunscreen every day, and I use it on beach and cruise vacations.  I find it works beautifully under make-up, or just alone.  On the rest of me, I use Neutrogena Dry Touch (SPF 100).  It causes a little less staining on my clothes (but it still stains, let's be honest.

I wear less make-up day-to-day on cruise/beach vacations: a bit of Bobbi Brown's skin foundation (which really blends into my skin), then some undereye concealer (my dark circles are BAD), followed by just a touch of Perricone's No-Blush Blush (this stuff is fantastic when used sparingly, and I do mean sparingly), and a hint of Perricone's No Highlighter Highlighter (or skip that step).  I use a little bit of powder to set under my eyes and my nose.  Then I may use a little bit of a light matte eyeshadow (or skip that step), a bit of liner very close to the upper lash line (or skip that step).  Mascara.  Finally, moisturizing lip balm containing an SPF.

I get my hair professionally blown out once or twice a week (it's a frizzy mess that needs professional styling).  I keep that up on vacation, because I look much better and waste much less time messing with my hair that way.  I wear a hat when I go outside anywhere sunny, because I am extremely fair and have already had skin cancer once.

• Thanks 1