Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

Super great post from those of you traveling - looking so forward to broad the Mariner in Tokyo this coming April.  But until April I happy reading and enjoying your post.  Thanks and keep them coming............but enjoy your cruise, like I have to tell you that.

So.. the "newbie" finally made it on board!  So excited to start this cruise!  From a new guy perspective... the ship is beautiful!  I will say that after 24 or so cruises on ships around 1000 feet, it sort of reminded me of a "mini ship."  But I will say that after day one, I'm loving it! 

Arrived at the port about 11:45.  Had to wait a while, but were on board around 1.  So about an hour.  No big deal,  used the time to meet people.  

Went to La Veranda and had a great lunch, then hung out around the pool deck until the rooms opened up.  Again, no big deal, used the time to meet people.  Oh yeah.. had a drink or two also. 😎

Made it to our cabin... a Penthouse.  It's beautiful!  Met the Cabin steward and Butler, unpacked, and went to muster.  Had to wear life jackets, and were led to the lifeboat stations in groups, just like in a real emergency.  They do take this seriously, which I see as a real plus!  

After muster made it up to the pool deck for a beautiful sail away followed by a wonderful dinner in the Compass Rose dining room. 

Finished the evening with a great show and a chocolate martini.  I think I'm going to like this cruise!  😊

DSC06449.jpg

DSC06474.jpg

DSC06482.jpg

DSC06488.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

• Like 3

CaptainJohn/John & Christina; thanks 4 sharing the gorgeous Mariner sail-away photo.

Ronrick1943, Lmorgan, Xvlcruiser; You’re very welcome, we’re (Rich and I and now Jim (Papaflamingo) are very happy to share our Mariner voyage with you.  Kudos to Lindsay on your upcoming marriage!

Zqueeze1; Scott Thomas is a legacy grad of the Citadel (3rd generation).  Seth his oldest wears his dad’s Gradation year on his Citadel uniform.  Have fun in Charleston and visiting your special university. Don’t believe everyone knows that unlike the military academies, you are not obligated to serve on graduation.  You, Scott and fellow graduates deserve special Kudos for electing to serve on graduation—Thank you.

Rich48100; just terrific Halloween photos, special thanks for capturing the Mariner production cast’s Thriller performance.

Papaflamingo/Jim & Margaret; welcome on board and a very warm welcome to our third Grand Voyage blogger.  Ida and I look very forward to meeting Margaret and you at the meet & mingle (hopefully before) tomorrow in the Observation lounge (11am to noon).  Will wear our anchor ribbon to help identify us, now on board.

Good Morning Hawaii!

We are near our next Hawaiian port of call Hilo, arriving about 8 a.m today.  This is the first port on this voyage (Honolulu to Papeete/Tahiti) on our beautiful cruise ship, Regent Seven Seas Mariner.  We plan to enjoy a private tour that includes snorkeling and diving with fellow guests, Denise and George with Hilo Ocean Adventures.  First, would like to share our marvelous day in Oahu, with a long time (3+decades) special friend, fellow retired US Army Soldier, Scott Thomas.

Remember one of our favorite Oahu, Hawaii TV shows back in 80’s early 90’s?

Magnum PI. We ate at one of the most popular local Oahu restaurants (a gas station, founded in 1956) Wally Ho’s that Tom Selleck ate at about 2-3 times a week during the filming of Magnum PI

Today we enjoyed the best private tour of Oahu give by our U.S. Army friend Scott. We went to Ford Island (home for senior US Navy officers and their families) located oh so close to the Arizona and Missouri.

Pls enjoys some photos and vid’s of our incredible private tour of Oahu, thanks to our very thoughtful & generous friend Scott Thomas.

16BE8564-C559-4952-A6F2-A066217C74E7.jpeg

1D3BEED0-4C02-481C-AA91-E74C95C8DAA5.jpeg

07796FAC-8E72-4EB0-89D0-FD351ACA3A5F.jpeg

8FDBD5BF-A7FD-4CBD-9365-E8E7E6B0269A.jpeg

42FFFF98-E1F1-4F08-B483-4A24D2B6CD9F.jpeg

90052E41-79DA-47F7-A32E-1513DAE5894C.jpeg

63B1778C-0462-4428-BE62-76948E42D526.jpeg

EB3B8F16-ECF1-45C1-B98F-5C7A14061C82.jpeg

959FFF0D-3842-4B81-A5E8-B00CBFA5013B.jpeg

FEDFB8BC-AE68-4ED0-8B33-8B4B25EF4AA3.jpeg

130CA198-D8E7-4355-8A7F-2062BC5EE55F.jpeg

77473065-67F2-4087-AFF3-F43475C65CFD.jpeg

93C1C206-8025-4F8D-A374-102E9A98259C.jpeg

Edited by WesW
Giving thanks to fellow regent cruise critics
  • Like 2

We are approaching Hilo, and looking forward to Volcano and Blossoms tour this morning.  

Welcome aboard Papaflamingo(Jim and Margaret). Great post, and welcome to the blogging world.  Looking forward to meeting you and other meet and minglers in observation lounge at 11am tomorrow.

Wes, you sure looked happy touring Honolulu, and glad you and Ida were able to reconnect with a friend and have such a great day ashore. 

Yesterday was a relax day for us.  Walked around Honolulu and got back about noon as first wave of passengers were getting onboard.  The show was great in the evening, though not terrifically attended, probably lots of tired people.

Talk to you all tomorrow after our day in Hilo.

• Like 1

We, too, are now on board and ready to visit Hilo.  Yesterday was Ray’s birthday.  When we got to the cabin, it was wonderfully decorated with balloons and a big “happy birthday” sign.  After some of the best prime rib i’ve had, they brought out a decadent chocolate cake and embarrassed him with the obligatory singing.  A big thank you to Regent for helping to make this a special 75th birthday.  

Sorry all, I did fail to get pictures. 

Jim:   Loved your pictures of the Penthouse Suite.  I’m can’t wait to see our Penthouse Suite when we join you onboard November 15.  Your Chocolate Martini looked wonderful and since that’s my favorite after dinner drink I’m looking forward to having one our first night onboard.  10 days until we leave for Papeete and 13 days until we board.  I’m counting the days.

Rosemary 

• Like 1

Thanks Wes and Rich this is the best thread I have read in a long time.  The photos are great and the articulations of your comments.

I know Spam is popular in the Hawaiian Islands but not for me. 

Thanks again for taking us along and continue to enjoy.  Eleven months before we board the Explorer.  We are taking a break from cruising and doing some land trips for a change.

10 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

So.. the "newbie" finally made it on board!  So excited to start this cruise!  From a new guy perspective... the ship is beautiful!  I will say that after 24 or so cruises on ships around 1000 feet, it sort of reminded me of a "mini ship."  But I will say that after day one, I'm loving it! 

Arrived at the port about 11:45.  Had to wait a while, but were on board around 1.  So about an hour.  No big deal,  used the time to meet people.  

Went to La Veranda and had a great lunch, then hung out around the pool deck until the rooms opened up.  Again, no big deal, used the time to meet people.  Oh yeah.. had a drink or two also. 😎

Made it to our cabin... a Penthouse.  It's beautiful!  Met the Cabin steward and Butler, unpacked, and went to muster.  Had to wear life jackets, and were led to the lifeboat stations in groups, just like in a real emergency.  They do take this seriously, which I see as a real plus!  

After muster made it up to the pool deck for a beautiful sail away followed by a wonderful dinner in the Compass Rose dining room. 

Finished the evening with a great show and a chocolate martini.  I think I'm going to like this cruise!  😊

DSC06449.jpg

DSC06474.jpg

DSC06482.jpg

DSC06488.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

So happy to know that you are finally on a Regent ship.  Lovely photos - thankfully I only have to wait 10 days before we can have one on Voyager.  Looking forward to your posts (and Rich - keep them coming - stunning photography).

• Like 1

Wes,

I am really enjoying your posts and pictures.  Congratulations on becoming Platinum on this cruise.  I  liked the recognition you received in the RSSC magazine.  Contrary to what someone posted on the other site:

“I'm not much of a fan of the publication but it is good to see Regent trying to make their guests happy (although personal articles are not my thing ....... unless you are Commodore or Diamond and are real Regent dedicated cruisers which, this case, they were not).”

It looks to me like Ida and you are very real and dedicated cruisers.  We are also Platinum and hope to meet up with you on a future voyage.  Fortunately, we are seeing fewer rude, insensitive posts like this on the new cc site.  

11 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Made it to our cabin... a Penthouse.  It's beautiful!  Met the Cabin steward and Butler, unpacked, and went to muster.  

DSC06449.jpg

Hi Papaflamingo, glad you are enjoying yourselves! May I please ask what suite # you have? We'll be in 927 on Mariner next June, so looking to see if ours will be similar to yours. :classic_smile:  Would it be possible to post more suite photos, and your impressions, in future, please? 

Edited by Paul Bradley
  • Like 1

Rich48100/Rich, MalbecWine, Uncle D; your very welcome.  Uncle D, you’re  very thoughtful special thanks.

BOBLERM.   look who says hello from their rehearsal right now in Stars Lounge. First show tonight in Horizon Lounge.

Terrific private excursion today—Snorkeling very near Hilo Harbor with the Mariner close by.   Captain Kimo and (L2R) Fellow retired US Army Veterans Bill, Ida and Denise in second photo below

and a vid from our visit to Oahu yesterday 

DEF39343-EB2F-4FE9-82EF-424F2BF83624.jpeg

29AF9C06-49C3-4135-99DB-03D9E0C37AF8.jpeg

060C9691-E163-43B6-AF57-9423D06463D1.jpeg

2A03916F-5E7D-4C47-9500-DD61ACD2E118.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Happy birthday to Ray, and welcome onboard.

we had a glorious weather day, and a very good excursion that turned out to be an unexpected delight.  It was volcanoes and Blossoms, and neither disappointed.  Drove to get an overlook view of Kilauea crater, and the place chosen was Volcano House motel.  Well, it was about 30 years ago that we spent part of our honeymoon staying there.  What a surprise that it was still there, and relatively undamaged, after all the eruptions.

Stunning views of the crater, and there used to be a path to the floor of the crater that allowed guests to walk on the flat part.  As a geologist, I had to do that, but no time on this outing.  I am sure I wouldn’t have done it anyway.  Then went to sulphuric pots and steam vents and the another overlook where we could see the Volcano House hanging on the edge of the crater.

Then went to the Orchid nursery where beautiful orchids were there to enjoy.

All in all a great day with unexpected, but very pleasant memories brought back to life.  Who would have thunk it.

Enjoy some photos.

628EFB51-C403-44CA-A9D7-332FBBA0D246.jpeg

0C605DDA-06F5-40B4-8590-643CED9B3513.jpeg

40A830A6-E9AB-444E-98B9-84597CF4C97C.jpeg

5C37DBA4-26FA-4AD7-AEE3-2BBD62B28FAD.jpeg

FAC31835-8F2E-4778-BF18-E488A898188B.jpeg

F94675F8-AF5D-46E0-9E8B-21D943CBDB80.jpeg

3C2AC530-6B75-4418-A9FF-E11717D5CBA9.jpeg

194E4BF1-EC7C-48E0-9551-0E13E96D22B0.jpeg

AF770EBA-4E47-4A31-8F24-FB8A35BEC214.jpeg

1936DDED-98DA-43EA-8B30-D9E5F34F4E71.jpeg

83D88FA3-4412-4B15-ADDA-90960B4EF460.jpeg

02EAEE3F-A0E3-4F17-8AD4-BCB1251B8D33.jpeg

27A8C96F-5386-4EE5-99F2-54EDCBF60D35.jpeg

73C85BCA-BBF0-46B5-8A1F-92FB84AA769A.jpeg

2180ED5E-B28D-4F01-976F-3F3FF43F3A43.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the outstanding orchid/flower photos Rich (Ida loved the pix of Barb and you).  

Good Morning from the Pacific Ocean!

We are now beginning the first of four consecutive days at sea enroute to French Polynesia.  Our first port will be Nuka Hiva arriving Wednesday, November 7th.

Our Mariner entertainment team, led by Cruise Director John Barron,

Has again planned our days at sea chock full of fun activities.

Today’s morning highlights include: Enrichment Lecture by Dr. Teri Sowell, “A World of Islands,” Officers Favorite challenge, Baggo, Around the World Wine tasting with head sommelier Kadek, spotlight on Polynesian Culture, Intermediate bridge, a boutique seminar, “Tara Pearls,” and Marla’s (our Social hostess) game.

Our Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Cruise Critic Meet & mingle is scheduled for later this morning—we have about 60 cruise critics registered. Hopefully, we will have a nice turnout but our meet & mingle is competing with wine tasting, June Teruya’s Polynesian 101 class on dance &Polynesian culture.

This afternoon, we have a second Polynesian 101 class presented again by June Teruya (art of Stringing Fresh Orchid flowers, and dance), and Enrichment Lecture, “History of Hawaii,” by Dr. George Losey.  In the evening we will have Regent’s traditional Block Party and the Mariner’s Production Cast show, Tuxedo.  Boogie and Kasie will be playing upbeat melodies in the Horizon Lounge beginning at 10:45pm.

We look forward to having dinner with pwlftx/Peggy in the French specialty restaurant on board, Chartreuse tonight.

• Like 3

Thank you guys, Wes and Ida, for all the commentary and photos you bring to the message boards. You are true world travelers! We can easily pick out our story guides by the big smiles and the big thumbs up. We are looking forward to the next chapter.

Thank you for you very kind words fizzy, will be sure Rich, Barbara, Jim and Margaret hear your enjoying our Grand Voyage thread.  We will enjoy lunch today with Rich and Barbara before Ida and Barbara go to June Teruya’s how to make Polynesian bracelets out of Kukui nuts, coconuts, seashells and bracelets.

thanks too Boblerm/Bob & Jeanie for your hearts, thumbs up and smiles—we are loving Kasie and Boogie and their wonderfully upbeat (dance friendly) music.

If y’all r wondering why Ida and I generally, normally, usually have our thumbs up in our photos, for us, it is our way of sharing with our friends, cruise critic friends, and our family that we are loving life—everything is OK— at the photo moment.

Time for another Regent Mariner crew member profile:

Have you ever wondered who produces the daily flyer/cruise newsletter, “Passages,” on Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  Well, let’s meet the Mariner Crew member who is responsible for publishing the Passages.

Now, it is time for another Regent Seven Seas Mariner Crew Member profile.  These crew members work behind the scenes, normally below decks or out of sight of the Regent guests.  Yet, these crew are pivotal to all Regent guests enjoying their voyage.

Please meet the Mariner Desktop Publisher, Patrick Kiritescu, who calls Romania home.  He was originally from Transylvania.  Patrick is single and hoping to find the love of his life.  

Patrick is on his first contract with Regent, that began in July on the Voyager. 

HIs favorite Regent ship, is the one he is currently working on.

Prior to his Regent contract, he worked for another major cruise line for five years.  

On Oct 10th, in Miami, Patrick was transferred from the Voyager to the Mariner.

When he finishes this first contract, he will return to Romania where he will continue building his summer house on land belonging to his great grandfather.

Prior to starting work with Regent, Patrick worked the previous five years for another major cruise line as Desktop publisher.  Then, Patrick led/managed a team of eight crew members.  On his former cruise line his team under his leadership published daily cruise flyers in seven languages.

Now, on the Mariner as Desktop Publisher, he publishes the Mariner Passages himself in only one language.

Patricks main responsibility as Desktop Publisher for Mariner is printing all flyers/newsletters for Guests, and Crew.  For example, he publishes all menus (about 700 daily) and special flyers for entertainment, and transition day (Welcome aboard, Farewell, and In Transit) passages.

He tells me his most challenging duty is on transition duty. On the day before he easily spends about 11 hours producing the end of cruise comments flyer, all destinations excursion flyers, and multiple Passage editions (Welcome, Farewell, In Transit).

When asked what he liked best about working on Regent.  Patrick told me emphatically, that all departments on the Mariner work like clockwork.  Further, he lets me know, on Regent unlike the other major cruise line he worked on for five years, everything is organized.  Moreover, on Regent the crew really welcomes you and makes you feel like family. 

Patrick, importantly points out that for crew, being treated like family is very important for the new crew on board, as they are separated from their home family for six to eight months.

So, next time you peruse your dinner menu or read the daily Passages, please remember that Patrick, our Mariner desktop publisher, and  a mighty Team of only One publishes each Passage and menu.

D7864803-C470-46DE-BF01-57105196EE2F.jpeg

D340FAEE-D614-4C1B-9304-952354FCBBBC.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Yesterday about just prior to noon in the Mariner’s Observation lounge, we enjoyed an outstanding RSSC and Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle just prior to noon today on board Regents Seven Seas Mariner.

We had over 50 meet and mingles attend this festive event sponsored on select Regent cruise voyages that meet the minimum (12 folks).

Regent Food & Beverage department led by the F&B director, Vladimir and his team (including the Mariner executive chef Wesley put on a delicious spread of heavy horse dervies.  The bar staff of the Observation Lounge (photo below) generously passed out included pre lunch cocktails (Mimosa’s, Bloody Mary’s, Champagne, et. Al)

The Mariner team leadership shared our event and generously, and the Mariner’s Captain, Daniel Green stayed for our group photo.

Please enjoy a few snaps taken from today’s Honolulu to Papeete meet & mingle.

6BDC62BC-1684-4936-8F35-A9B04ADBB69C.jpeg

B1E6AFB9-142E-44DD-89B1-A5718A0BC486.jpeg

B9098CBC-D0C1-4F77-8C7A-B593EBFCD2DC.jpeg

DBD3D29B-1AC8-4C92-A8C3-B050C0183D6B.jpeg

E2938DE1-95CB-4764-9ADC-D2A2861AFB35.jpeg

1C2556E5-F4B2-49AE-AC34-07EA037D8022.jpeg

FEC5EC25-34A9-417B-A78F-C5384AF62EB4.jpeg

4EA25555-74CC-44A7-AB89-D78EF275C6CB.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Today, is another jam packed Polynesian fun filled day at sea on Regent’s Seven seas Mariner.

Ida and I plan to attend enrichment lectures: Polynesian Encounters and Micronesia, Melanesia, and Polynesia (Wes),Polynesian Bracelet making (Ida and Rich48100/Barbara, pwfltx/Peggy).  We have John Barron’s Goes Big Band to enjoy as our show tonight. And in just a few hours we will enjoy our Sunday breakfast on board tradition of having eggs Benedict along with Regent’s caviar and champagne provided every Sunday.  We also have lunch in Compass Room with fellow Grand Voyage bloggers Rich & Barbara (Rich48100

pld enjoy some snaps from the block part and dinner later with pefltx/peggy in Chartreuse 

9BED1A09-D34E-43DF-8A66-2899BD32AD56.jpeg

3AD492A5-32DB-4101-BFC1-92C2B9C559FF.jpeg

49063D72-0894-4EC2-B378-9ED5342E6B7B.jpeg

630CB31A-8FDC-4444-A74F-F77577E70A55.jpeg

• Like 1

Wes:   As a first time Regent cruiser, I’ll be boarding in Papeete, I have really enjoyed all the pictures you have been posting of life onboard Mariner. Time will be going very slowly before we leave next Monday for Tahiti 

Rosemary  

• Like 1

Wes and all other bloggers,

Thanks for the excellent narrative and pictures of your fabulous cruise  😄

(Wes, Did you overcome the CC imposed MB limit on your uploads?)

So glad to see the good turn out at the Meet & Mingle.

Regent , with the support of CC, make a really good job of organising these events 🍹

Well, Sunday morning at sea, and Champagne breakfast on tap.  

Wes, you did a great job showing the great turnout for the meet and mingle including all the different ship personnel to support us.  We welcome Papaflamingo(Jim and Margaret) onboard to start blogging, and hope others will also join in.

DW joined Ida and number of other people to a leigh making class.  I have to say, they did a great job.

Enjoyed the block party, and met some of our great neighbors.

We will see what develops today, but looking forward to lunch with Wes and Ida.

Enjoy a few pics

ECF3BB21-34F3-4461-B3E1-BBFA97EA37A8.jpeg

F7EC0235-3114-48FF-99F0-5AFDBF9BAC81.jpeg

09CA7108-61CF-40FB-B3A1-B063799D77AE.jpeg

D98334BF-8C10-4271-8963-1D9C2D51DFA9.jpeg

9677E530-B147-409E-96B9-AA810B63EBD8.jpeg

• Like 1