Mariner Grand Pacific Paradise Voyage: Miami - Sydney, 10/10 -12/15/2018 - Rich48100

WesW

13 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hi guys - looking forward to hearing your "take" on the Hawaii leg of this cruise.  If we had not been to Tahiti so many times, it would have been an interesting cruise for us.  

The Splendor Roll Call is down at the moment but I seem to recall that you two will be on the San Diego to Miami leg.  Do I recall correctly?  Hope so!

Jackie

Hi Jackie.  The PG was actually our first cruise with Regent.  We went in August (dry season) and wound up in the worst storm ever for that time of year.  It was quite an adventure and I'll have to tell you my tale next time we see you.  We will be going on to Aukland as we have never been to Fiji, etc.  And we will fly to Melbourne to stay with friends we met on a river cruise.

Yes, we are on the Splendor with you in 2020 but it seems so very far away.  It will be great to see the two of you again.

Am remiss not for thanking our lead blogger (Rich and Barbara) for their outstanding posts and delightful blog commentary.  Loved your “Walk in the Clouds” pix, so glad Barbara and you did not fall through the clouds.  🙂

Rich as we said often during our US Army Careers—Hooah (for good/great) posts.

Did want to share both of the Mariner crew member profiles we have written about since being on board.  The ground rules we have coordinated with the General Manager (Massimo) on board, is we would like to profile crew who do not get told “Thank You” by the guests.

Time to share another Regent Seven Seas Mariner Crew Profile:

Please meet Hazel Olin, a Mariner Crew Mess Server.

Hazel is from the beautiful Island of Boracay, one of the many islands of the Philippines.

Hazel is not married and lives with her mother in Boracay.  She has a beautiful seven year old daughter, Hailey who lives with her mother when Hazel is at sea serving on board the Mariner.

At the end of this month Hazel will celebrate her first year with Regent Seven seas, spending all of her service as a Crew Mess Server on board the Mariner.

Hazel serves the 400 crew members of the Mariner with a bright smile at every meal.  She begins her duty day at 5:30 a.m and begins to set up the Crew Mess breakfast buffet.  Crew breakfast hours are from 6 am until 9 am.  Hazel then enthusiastically jumps right in helping the Crew Mess team clean up after breakfast.  At 10:30 a.m. she helps with the lunch set up, crew mess lunch is served from 11 a.m until 1 p.m.  Hazel is off daily at 2pm, then she chips in for dinner prep, and again serves her fellow crew dinner from 4:30 pm until 8pm

When asked what she enjoys most about working in the Mariner crew mess, she answers, “enjoying getting to know each crew member and their meal likes and preferences.”  I quizzed Hazel during our interview with three crew members sitting next to her and she got 100% when naming what Aladdin, Liam and Srinath liked during mess hours.

Hazel tells me her toughest duty is politely dealing with her crew mates when their favorite dish is now gone (usually Fried Chicken)

Hazel likes working as a Regent Seven Seas Crew member as she feels very safe when on board.  Hazel with delightful emphasis, told me feels, “right at home with her fellow crew members, many of these crew also hailing from the Philippines. 

873E86FA-D14A-4B5E-855F-C1010F1846FF.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

RJ2002; you’re very welcome, absolutely love sharing the crew profiles with Regent cruise critics.

JMariner, all; per speaking with Massimo this morning at Officer’s challenge (Ring Toss) your Mariner Circunavigation leaders currently (subject to change) are:

Captain Teo is scheduled to replace Captain Daniel Green in Auckland (Daniel told me this may change)

GM:  Michael Coghlan replaces Massimo Oct 21st and will be on board thru Jan 20

CD:  John Barron leaves in Auckland and Ray Solaire replaces him and will be your CD.

Exec Chef:  Chef Odul will be your Xchef replacing XChef Wesley now on board.

F&B Manager now and for your voyage is Vladimir (already coordinated a Travel Agent cocktail party with Vladimir in San Diego—he is very attentive to every detail)

Hope this helps, if u would like to know other Mariner leaders just give us a shout.

Silver Sweethearts; Ida and I r doing the Rainforest Waterfall Hike.

We will be happy to share our Hawaii excursion experiences here.  Even tho we spent our Honeymoon in Hawaii (most islands) we enjoy returning.  And we have been on a b2n on the Paul Gaugiun back in 2005, we can’t wait to return to French Polynesia during the next segment.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rich48100 said:

Now ready for a full day aboard ship; talks, games, food, entertainment, conversation.  It is a wonderful life, and we are glad we are living it.  So fortunate.

So true!  We should all bear this in mind and cherish every moment that we are cruising!

Bob

Ida and Wes,  Rich & Barbara, 

Enjoying every one of your posts, thanks for sharing your experiences and your shots.

Jim & Margaret , looking forward to your input once your journey begins.

I think it's a great idea to do a group report, it's great to get different perspectives.

Everyone continue having a great time on this wonderful ship and itinerary,

Bob

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rich48100 said:

Thank you RachelG and others for following our posts.  

Wes and Ida are certainly more prolific photo and blog posters than Barbara and I, and I really enjoy his take on excursions and life aboard the ship.  Saw him working feverishly at 4 in the morning posting all about these things.  Most times I am just rolling over at that time, but you can get a lot more done at that early hour as most folks are not on the internet.  We were really tired after our excursion yesterday, so rolled out of bed at 7.  Felt really good to sleep in.  

Now ready for a full day aboard ship; talks, games, food, entertainment, conversation.  It is a wonderful life, and we are glad we are living it.  So fortunate.

I like the way you are enjoying your vacation - you seem to really be savoring every moment.  Whenever you can post, it is appreciated.  Hope that you sea day was fun!

59 minutes ago, Astroman1 said:

Just joined this board - do you have a suggested excursion for Guatemala 

We were there back in August and definitely recommend an excursion to Antigua - beautiful UNESCO heritage city - nice scenery on the trip up there and cooler than on the coast

• Like 1

Good Morning Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala!

Today we will visit Guatemala, name translates into place of many trees.  More about this port and our excursion ashore in a later post with photos & videos.

First, want to share photos of the outstanding enrichment lecturers on board.

Please see the first two photos below of Michael Scott and Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Bill Rothschild.

Now, want to share our relaxing sea day yesterday in place of our schedule port stop in Nicaragua.  Alas, with the constant demonstrations and the Nicaraguan government’s reaction, Regent Seven Seas Cruises decided (in consultation with the Master of the Mariner, Captain Daniel Green, to have us cancel this port. 

My cousin who is a career, U.S State Department senior employee was stationed in Nicaragua.  Michelle and her family had to immediately evacuate Nicaragua a few months ago by order of the State Department.  Michelle posted this on the decision to cancel our visit to Nicaragua:

Glad to hear you skipped Nicaragua. The dictator continues to terrorize the population. Just this weekend they pulled two human rights leaders off a flight to Miami and illegally detained 38 other activists.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day at sea, relaxing or as Ida’s Mariner personal trainer said, “I want you to be nice to yourself today, take a day off and relax.  But, for your next session you can expect an intense workout.”  So, instead of dressing up for dinner we went to the Pool Grill for dinner—and we loved the relaxed environment.  

Here is what the Mariner’s daily newspaper says about this new dining concept on board.  In the morning, enjoyed the Officer’s challenge vs guests (Ring Toss) please see photos of a guest competing against the Mariner’s cruise director, John Barron.  So, instead of her afternoon personal training session/workout Ida worked with other jigsaw puzzle aficionados and completed the second Mariner jigsaw puzzle.  Pls see photo of the “World on Display” in the photos below.

“For a more relaxed dining experience in less formal attire at the Pool Grill, open for seating from 6-9pm every night. The incorporation of more regional-centric cuisine—based on your sailing - will further enrich the already excellent menu offerings.  After a memorable day of events and activities on board, unwind with family and friends by sipping a cocktail from the pool bar or go straight to savoring (the pool grill) delicious salad offerings, partake in freshly prepared grill and barbecue choices, and top it all off with a tempting dessert in the refreshing comfort of an ocean breeze.  No reservations required.”

Have posted some photos of the Pool Grill menu and Head Waiter Marjia

Serving Ida’s (fresh burger) and Wes’s (grilled/marinated Salmon).

We then headed to the Mariner’s Constellation Theater to enjoy Jeri Sager’s “This Broad’s Way,” starring broadway actress Jeri Sager.  Our Cruise Director John Barron implored us to go to her show, having know Jeri for years.  Her show was outstanding belting tunes from her 2 1/2 years from her lead role in “CATS.”  Jeri also regaled Regent guests with stories about life as a Broadway actress.

We then retired for the evening and were pleasantly surprised to find very nice remembrances that the Mariner Cruise Director had the staff leave in our room. Pls see snaps below.

Later, will share our next Mariner “behind the scenes” crew profile, featuring the Mariner Laundry team leader, Liam.

F2D8EF3B-9A56-4002-A2B0-7C5D70F02C83.jpeg

E1810155-4141-44D4-9E23-8108834C8932.jpeg

C485B7D3-724C-44E7-8DD2-63FDA9B8464C.jpeg

7225981A-5966-49B4-BDC1-DC1CE1E03506.jpeg

A6C5B062-7E6A-4AD5-A4D3-47C90840A9EE.jpeg

B16D3743-90A0-4394-A6D2-456B781DF632.jpeg

D880AC58-704A-4C11-B2B7-A1837F749991.jpeg

40C28354-D5AC-4305-88D6-5B4CC8E3B653.jpeg

AE27F64F-A48F-4403-AB66-BB23C78BB08B.jpeg

C22561EF-2D3C-4BDC-9248-CC0DFD3D44E7.jpeg

C3096D1F-C563-4E6C-B800-DDFB50209035.jpeg

5C62B97F-4BA7-45A8-98B8-6C33028463A8.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 3

Yesterday was a very relaxing day for us.  Slept in and then went to the two excellent talks.  Had a nice lunch with another couple that is on the Gand Voyage, and decided to have dinner with them at Compass Rose.  Chilled in the afternoon for a bit and then went to the gym to workout a bit.  Enjoyed the wet and dry saunas at Canyon Ranch, and there is no charge to use them.

Dinner at Compass Rose was Chateaus Brione for three of us and Filet Mignon for DW.  Great meal and conversation, and then off to see show.  The gal really belted out a number of songs, and it was a packed house.

Today we dock in Puerto Quetzal at 9 and our 9 hour excursion starts at 9:15.  We will be doing the Regent Choice excursion to Lake Atitlan.  I was there close to 50 years ago as part of a study group going to various Volcanoes of Central America.  The Attila’s area was beautiful back then, so wanted to share that with DW.  Hope it is as beautiful as I remember.

That’s all for now.  Ready for a long bus ride, and hopefully worth it.

Edited by rich48100
Spelling
  • Like 2

As "Dash 3" (military aviation talk) in this blog, and not joining the beautiful Mariner until Nov. 1, I wish I had had a relaxing day.  Had to deal with a water leak from all the rain from the Hurricane when it dumped on Atlanta.  But we leave a week from today for Hawaii (spending 6 days before the cruise in Honolulu).  So it's "crunch time" for us.  This will be my first Regent Cruise so I'll have a different perspective.  But can't wait to join the ship.  See y'all on board!  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 8:05 AM, rich48100 said:

... and had a smooth transfer to the Trump Doral for our one night stay and Gala dinner.  The property is beautiful, and we stayed in the Gary Player pavilion.  For this golfer it was a real treat.

Sigh.  Please tell me that the Trump Doral is not the normal hotel the Regent uses for pre-grand cruise and WC galas!  Hate to be political, but I would have a problem with that.  

(Hmm, I don't see a Preview button--is it just me, or is that functionality gone?)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rich48100 said:

Yesterday was a very relaxing day for us.  Slept in and then went to the two excellent talks.  Had a nice lunch with another couple that is on the Gand Voyage, and decided to have dinner with them at Compass Rose.  Chilled in the afternoon for a bit and then went to the gym to workout a bit.  Enjoyed the wet and dry saunas at Canyon Ranch, and there is no charge to use them.

Dinner at Compass Rose was Chateaus Brione for three of us and Filet Mignon for DW.  Great meal and conversation, and then off to see show.  The gal really belted out a number of songs, and it was a packed house.

Today we dock in Puerto Quetzal at 9 and our 9 hour excursion starts at 9:15.  We will be doing the Regent Choice excursion to Lake Atitlan.  I was there close to 50 years ago as part of a study group going to various Volcanoes of Central America.  The Attila’s area was beautiful back then, so wanted to share that with DW.  Hope it is as beautiful as I remember.

That’s all for now.  Ready for a long bus ride, and hopefully worth it.

Sounds as if you had a really nice sea day.  I'm particularly interested in your stop today at Puerto Quetzal as we are scheduled to go there in February and the last time a Regent ship was scheduled to go there it was cancelled.  You will likely be exhausted after a 9 hour excursion.

Really enjoying your posts!

P.S.  On a slightly different subject, I see that John Barron is is autographing photos.  Will have to give him a hard time about that.  Did you see his show?  He is amazing!

Edited by Travelcat2

Our friends were on the bus that went into the ditch - someone broke a window and then placed towels over the broken glass to allow people to exit. Eventually the door was slightly jarred open enough to allow people to squeeze through to exit, but they needed to be extremely careful as to the movement within the bus so that it did not flip since the bus was not stable.

Everyone on the bus was able bodied which allowed for the extraction of all individuals on their own.

Although a brand new bus, there were no emergency exits.

Our friends have cuts and bruises and a good story to tell - they are taking this all in stride and quite thankful since the outcome could have been much worse.

gnomie :classic_smile:

bus.JPG

• Like 1

Tnr/Terri &Ray; you’re very welcome—we love sharing Regent crew member behind the scenes (often below passenger decks) profiles.  Pls see our next profile, Lim, the Assistant Laundry Team leader below.

papaflamingo;  Jim, Ida and look very forward to meeting & cruising with Margaret and you.  We will see on board in Honolulu—safe travels.

SilverSpectre/Jim & Krysia; so nice to see you posting here on the Regent Board.  Will give Ida a big hug and hello from y’all.  We wish you Fair Winds and Following seas on your Silversea cruise now.  Will go to the Silversea board soon to follow along.

Doc James; just spoke with John he will be going home for the Holidays once he disembarks in Auckland.  He has not heard from his leadership yet what ship he will serve on next.

Gnomie; thanks so very much for sharing your friends harrowing experience on the infamous Bus #17.  We had no idea of the details of this incident just knew from Captain Green that the bus was late, and from Rich (Rich48100) that they passed the bus that ended up off road in a ditch.  Very glad all passengers made it out of the Bus safely.

Time to meet another Mariner Crew member “who works behind the scenes” profile.

We profile some Regent Seven Seas Mariner members who work behind the scenes and who do not normally get told, “Thank You,” by Regent Guests.

Today, let’s meet Lim, Assistant Laundry Team leader.

Lim hails from Bintaa island, Singapore.  He is single and when he is not on contract he enjoys spending time with friends and family back in Singapore.  Liam has been with Regent for eight years.

Lim, is responsible for an 11 member Laundry team that handles more than one thousand pieces of laundry a day.

When asked what he likes most about working for Regent, Lim said, “all—everything, and meeting fellow crew while traveling the world”

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

192448D9-93D2-447B-87A9-50D2AF7C65B5.jpeg

550DCBF6-0A2A-4798-8F4C-BCBDA3A76537.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Hate to be political, but I would have a problem with that. 

Well, apparently you don't "hate to be political" enough to keep that commentary to yourself.

I don't use my vacations, or my online presence, to proselytize my personal political opinions.  And I hold those who also show restraint in high regard.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

(Hmm, I don't see a Preview button--is it just me, or is that functionality gone?)

It is, in fact, gone. However, You can now see your posts in the reply box appearing pretty much how it will appear after you click "submit", including emojis, images, formatting ,links, etc, so there is less need for a preview. 

Many thanks for the profiles of the "back of the house" crew members. These folks, largely unknown to most passengers, are a vital part of making our cruises as wonderful as they are.  One thing I really like about Regent (and some other lines) is that we can express our gratitude to all the crew, those we see and those we don't, through the crew fund. This is so much better than the tipping that is prevalent on some other lines: only the "front of the house" folks get that money.

Boy these cruise critic pages are really sensitive, I just touched a spot on the iPad and posting occurred.  Have to be super careful with these stubby fingers.

Anyway, our day started with breakfast in our room that came on time and hot.  No hiccups.  Then off to Constellation lounge for our Lake Atitlan and Panajachel tour.  Got off on time and travelled about two hours by bus to get there.  Interesting and green countryside, showers and low clouds today, so viewing the volcanos will not be as good as hoped.  At Lake Atitlan we came on a day when they were celebrating one of their patron saints so lots of festivities, booths, carnival rides, and lots of folks hawking their wares as we walked to the boat for our cruise on the lake.  A little annoying, but they are trying to make a buck.

nice smooth ride on the lake, but because of the clouds, not as spectacular as I had experienced some 50 years ago.  Ride was about an hour, and plenty of time for picture taking, and covered in case there was rain.  The clouds around the volcanoes gave it a kind of eerie feel, and completely different views than what I experience before.  Had a nice lunch at a hotel in Panajachel, and then time for shopping.  Then back on the boat for a ride back to our busses.  This time rain arrives with some wind, and we all huddle below decks. We were dry, and a lot of great conversation ensued.  Got back to the ship about 6 for a 7 o’clock departure.  

Tired so so we ate at the patio grill for dinner.  Many people from the late excursions were dining there.  I think Regent hit a home run with this new dining venue for the evening.  After getting cleaned up some, about to go to another wonderful performance from Nestor Santurio on the guitar.  He did great last time, and expecting the same today.

DFEFDBEC-FF27-4A56-BE8F-119F7010F46C.jpeg

4C56C3D8-E281-49AD-ACFB-1C9B1091C3A3.jpeg

F7BF3B2D-3EF0-47F4-9073-DFB6F233C6FD.jpeg

8E6B6B1D-0730-4EE5-A857-E996EB2C2CF3.jpeg

85D3CE86-CD1E-41FE-BF4B-8C4482B833AE.jpeg

95D5162D-C646-43B4-AE69-F76C2C69DA40.jpeg

• Like 3