Just announced! 3 new ships for Silversea

Tarwood3

I wonder if the Wind is now “safe”. I still think it’s inevitable after she sails into London in Aug 2020 it’ll be a visit to dry dock and a strengthened hull.

I guess we all knew there would be “interesting times ahead”. Fingers crossed all good news and negatives to a minimum.

Appreciate BOTH of these news story links and the follow-ups. Am seriously considering a Galápagos sailing in early 2020. That creates questions for whether it is best to consider the current Silversea ship for that area at a maybe lower, but still costly price . . . versus . . . waiting for the newer ship at a much higher premium costs. Or, consider the Celebrity ship operating in the Galápagos that will also be controlled by NCL? Other questions to consider?? Any insights, tips, guesses, etc.??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 213,405 views for this posting.

Appreciate BOTH of these news story links and the follow-ups. Am seriously considering a Galápagos sailing in early 2020. That creates questions for whether it is best to consider the current Silversea ship for that area at a maybe lower, but still costly price . . . versus . . . waiting for the newer ship at a much higher premium costs. Or, consider the Celebrity ship operating in the Galápagos that will also be controlled by NCL? Other questions to consider?? Any insights, tips, guesses, etc.??

Terry, we did the Celebrity Galapagos in 2011, and it was hands down the best cruise we've been on (sorry SilverSea). Ironically, it is smaller than any of the SS expedition ships, staff was outstanding - honestly, right up there with the treatment we received this spring on SS. The naturalists were great, and yes the food ..... I was up early one morning running around the deck watching the dolphins playing and got to see the fishing boats pull up to the Xpedition to sell that morning's catch. Don't discount Celebrity's offering just because its been with RCL for a long time, it was certainly a top notch run expedition and we most certainly got value.

Jan

Terry, we did the Celebrity Galapagos in 2011, and it was hands down the best cruise we've been on (sorry SilverSea). Ironically, it is smaller than any of the SS expedition ships, staff was outstanding - honestly, right up there with the treatment we received this spring on SS. The naturalists were great, and yes the food ..... I was up early one morning running around the deck watching the dolphins playing and got to see the fishing boats pull up to the Xpedition to sell that morning's catch. Don't discount Celebrity's offering just because its been with RCL for a long time, it was certainly a top notch run expedition and we most certainly got value. Jan

Great above follow-up and background details from Jan. Very helpful!! Yes, we will look at the costs and value difference for Silversea vs. Celebrity. Great, attentive eye exhibited by Stumblefoot. Yes, it is RCL that controls Celebrity, not NCL. My goof. We have sailed previously, twice, with Celebrity. Not as good as Silversea, but their "values/costs" tend to be more reasonable. Maybe??!!

Appreciate these great comments and insights. Much to consider and compare, especially given that the rules are different for all cruise lines when operating in the Galápagos. As I understand, Ecuador law dictate much as to how staffing, food options, etc., are done and managed. Right?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 231,385 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You are correct Terry, Ecuadorian law is pretty strict. The Xpedition ship was 100% Ecuadorian staff except the captain, who was Phillipino, or was he the second in command? Anyways, really funny man - he gave the bridge tour, and one of the other guys ran over and said "he's my brother from a different mother". The food was mostly if not all local, since they were not hitting ports that they could "load up", however the liquor supply was something to behold. Oh, the fresh juices in the morning were amazing, and yes we had "jungle fruits" juice, and the peels and "squeezings" were packed off the ship at the one stop that had a town - there were several older ladies waiting to take them home - compost probably since it was pretty rocky soil. One night we had a "flying fish experience" - they were everywhere, and some were landing on the deck, so people started tossing them back over the rails. One of the naturalists joked "tomorrow's fish of the day".

Jan

Great above follow-up and background details from Jan. Very helpful!! Yes, we will look at the costs and value difference for Silversea vs. Celebrity. Great, attentive eye exhibited by Stumblefoot. Yes, it is RCL that controls Celebrity, not NCL. My goof. We have sailed previously, twice, with Celebrity. Not as good as Silversea, but their "values/costs" tend to be more reasonable. Maybe??!!

Appreciate these great comments and insights. Much to consider and compare, especially given that the rules are different for all cruise lines when operating in the Galápagos. As I understand, Ecuador law dictate much as to how staffing, food options, etc., are done and managed. Right?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 231,385 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Like you Terry, we were considering a Galapagos cruise on either the Silver Galapagos or the Celebrity Flora, the new ship Celebrity is building. To me the Flora looks much better than the Silver Galapagos, but now that Silversea is building 3 new ships I might wait for those.

I'm curious as to what the "Evolution Class" will comprise. (and, if I may try some humour, hope it doesn't incite 'Revolution'.)
I agree. Will it be something larger than the Muse, Moon, and Dawn, or something small but more luxurious than the Wind (and former Cloud)?
With credit to Rocchi, below is the first article I've seen state the new "Evolution" class ships will be smaller in size. Have no idea as to the accuracy of Porthole Cruise's reporting.

As I posted a few weeks ago, the Cruise Consultant on the Spirit told me that RCL had given permission for six SS ships to come.

So that’s the Moon, the Dawn, the two Evolutions, the Origin and ...

Maybe the Cloudified Wind?

Maybe a third Evolution ship, if the first one is well received?

A bigger fleet, more choices, yesss!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like you Terry, we were considering a Galapagos cruise on either the Silver Galapagos or the Celebrity Flora, the new ship Celebrity is building. To me the Flora looks much better than the Silver Galapagos, but now that Silversea is building 3 new ships I might wait for those.

Appreciate these follow-ups from Carol and Jan. Both have very helpful added info and insights. The new Celebrity Flora has a special, new design and very large suites. This ship will look super nice, hip and future-focused. But, the pricing is much, much higher!! As we want to combine doing the Galápagos with a post-cruise visit to Machu Picchu, the total cost on one of these newest ships (either Silversea or Celebrity) will really soar for its pricing. Since doing the Galápagos is all about nature, the wildlife, etc., having the highest-end luxury, too, would be nice, but might not fit our budget.

Choices, choices??!! Also need to consider options offered by Lindblad-National Geographic. They have a good reputation for doing this area well. Much research needs to be done and it is more interesting with these new ships from the somewhat "combined/merged" Silversea and Celebrity/RCI.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 60,698 views for these postings.

The origin of species. Evolution through natural selection. Some clever chap called Darwin. So smaller expedition ships?

If the new Evolution class ships are for the classic fleet, it'll be interesting to see if they try and stick with their Rolls-Royce themed ships, maybe Phantom or even Ghost? Sounds like a couple of good pirate ships!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh. Silversea with 2 new ships of 800 berths each?

I really hope this is a mistake and the report misprinted the numbers. Or RCI are just going nuts.

Silversea with even larger ships. Nooooo!

They are totaly missing the point of Silversea.....   Or my idea of it anyway.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19827-luxury-market-5-700-berths-added-in-two-weeks.html

Can someone clarify for me:  is a berth = one person?  or one suite? (typically double occupancy - ie 1600 passengers).  

If these new ships are for 800 passengers, then this just continues the slow death through a thousand cuts of slightly larger than the Muse/Spirit, et al.    

8 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

I suppose as long as the Wind, Whisper, Shadow, Spirit and Muse remain unadulterated SS will merely be extending their appeal. My fear is that even the smaller ships may lose the intimacy that makes them so attractive. 

Agree. I expect the level of staff capabilites may well be stretched and can afford to be less choosy.

Funnily my throw away email address I use for here silversea@mail.co.uk probably has 250 job applications sitting in the mail box. Hope this doesn't mean it'll get even more flooded!

Terry, we have been to the Galapagos on the celebrity xpedition and on Silversea Galapagos.  We would go again in an instant on Silversea, but never on Celebrity, even with the newer ship as the food was just not good on the Celebrity ship.  Silversea has the same restrictions about using local, but apparently have either better suppliers or better chefs or both.  Naturalists on Silversea were more friendly as well.  With one exception, the Celebrity ones had an attitude.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rocchi said:

Oh my gosh. Silversea with 2 new ships of 800 berths each?

I really hope this is a mistake and the report misprinted the numbers. Or RCI are just going nuts.

Silversea with even larger ships. Nooooo!

They are totaly missing the point of Silversea.....   Or my idea of it anyway.

The word "berth" has several meanings, but in general nautical terms it is typically equal to the number of people who can sleep on board.  So, based on crew, it sounds as if the two ships in question will be roughly the same size as the Muse.

And given the costs of actually designing a new ship, and ironing out the wrinkles that only appear when in service, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new ships are actually based on the Muse design. It is not uncommon for cruise lines to build half a dozen or more new ships once they are satisfied with the design.

I hope so - after initial steep resistance, I have come to enjoy the Muse, to the point where I wonder if the Wind will feel a little lacking in options ...

Edited by jollyjones