Cruise from San Diego to Vancouver...any good?

Sandra*

Hi,

I'm starting to set up a vacation for my family and another family for July 2007 and am interested in the San Diego to Vancouver cruise that RCL offers. We're planning on taking the train from Vancouver to LA, spending some time in LA and then cruising back. Has anyone taken the San Diego to Vancouver cruise? If so, what did you think of it, potential interesting places to see at any of the ports of call (Astoria, especially)? We're thinking of going in July to ensure that we get SOME sun on the cruise back.

Any info on the cruise, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated!

Can you tell me where you found the information on that cruise and how you know when it will sail? I did not think that there was any schedule out yet for 2007 and I am also interested in something like that.

Thanks ;)

Can you tell me where you found the information on that cruise and how you know when it will sail? I did not think that there was any schedule out yet for 2007 and I am also interested in something like that.

Thanks ;)

I didn't find a 2007 sailing yet but went to the RCI website and found one for April 2006. I'm hoping it is an ongoing thing. Price was pretty good for a 5 day cruise. I'm just not sure about the itinerary, whether the ports of call are good, what other cruisers have thought of this specific cruise run, etc.

Hi Sandra

I took this cruise last year on the Radiance of the Seas. This sailing only goes in May heading northbound or in September heading southbound. Sorry to disappoint you but these are the only 2 sailings per year.

We were quite fortunate last year, the seas were calm, and it was sunny almost every day except for Astoria. We had a good time. The Radiance is sailing May 21 for 6 nights or the Vision of the Seas May 7 for 5 nights, also there is the Serenade of the Seas for 7 nights on May 21.

Cheers!

Hi Sandra

I took this cruise last year on the Radiance of the Seas. This sailing only goes in May heading northbound or in September heading southbound. Sorry to disappoint you but these are the only 2 sailings per year.

We were quite fortunate last year, the seas were calm, and it was sunny almost every day except for Astoria. We had a good time. The Radiance is sailing May 21 for 6 nights or the Vision of the Seas May 7 for 5 nights, also there is the Serenade of the Seas for 7 nights on May 21.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. We might have to change our plans to either cruise down there in September and train it back or try our luck with the May sailing back. I don't really want to chance the weather coming back home being rainy and overcast, especially in May! It's just not as nice coming back when you're stuck inside or sightseeing in the rain!

We've done several of these coastal cruises. They're normally a great bargain, and they give you the opportunity to try different lines.

I think your move to September is a good one. Unlike the fortunate experiences mentioned above, we did encounter beautiful weather, but wind and incredibly high seas on northbound spring sailings -- enough to shut down activities, elevators, etc..

In the fall, we've encountered some fog, but always glass-like seas.

I did a cruise from San Diego to Vancover in May - and ran into very high seas and rough waters starting along the Oregon Coast and not easing up until we got into Seattle. It wasn't weather - that was beautiful. It was strong currents. It was really unpleasant - I would not repeat it.

Hmmm...sounds like weather isn't the problem, it's the rough waves! I really don't want to take the kids out of school the first month they're back. I was mostly concerned about the weather. As much as I'm used to rain, I hate to sightsee in it! Maybe we'll try our luck with the May trip back from San Diego...that would leave September open for an 'adult's' cruise for my hubbie and me and kids can visit Grandma!

Sounding better and better! Thanks for all the info. Just wondering when we can book the 2007 trips...RCI only showed the 2006 trip last time I looked at the site.

Which ship and date, Surfklutz? I may have been on that cruise.....I like the rough water sometimes...it doesn't bother me....it's frequently rough after leaving San Francisco because of the prevailing winds etc.......It's like leaving Cabo San Lucas northbound. I don't count that as bad weather.....weather in port has always been nice. Guess it bothers a lot of people to have it a little rough though.

I didn't find a 2007 sailing yet but went to the RCI website and found one for April 2006. I'm hoping it is an ongoing thing. Price was pretty good for a 5 day cruise. I'm just not sure about the itinerary, whether the ports of call are good, what other cruisers have thought of this specific cruise run, etc.

Thanks.;)

And to all the other CC's who answered with information on this cruise. It is much appreciated.

Which ship and date, Surfklutz? I may have been on that cruise.....I like the rough water sometimes...it doesn't bother me....it's frequently rough after leaving San Francisco because of the prevailing winds etc.......It's like leaving Cabo San Lucas northbound. I don't count that as bad weather.....weather in port has always been nice. Guess it bothers a lot of people to have it a little rough though.

We took the repositioning cruise from Cabo San Lucas back to Seattle in April of 2000 on the Spirit of Endeavour- and had beautiful seas coming out of Cabo ( that is where I thought we would have the worst seas) but it was that upper Pacific Coast where we were pummelled. Spirit of Endeavour is a small ship- I guess I should have added that. But with seas like we had, a larger ship would have bounced around as well.

I sailed from Los Angeles to Vancouver several years ago on an April/May cruise. We didn't come across any bad weather, and by the time we got to Victoria it was sunny and warm. I am booked on the 5/21 sailing of the Serenade. It is hard to anticipate "weather", I am looking forward to my cruise and I have my first AFT cabin.

We did this cruise a few years ago on the Radiance and it was wonderful. You will only find this "repositioning" cruise in May on the West coast, going north. At the end of the Alaska season in September, the RCL ships usually (but I could be wrong) sail from Vancouver to Hawaii. The Vision MIGHT do the southbound one in September each year, since it is going back to Los Angeles to start sailing the Mexican Riviera.

Well, sounds like we'll take our chances and do the May trip in 2007 then! High seas and all...hopefully the weather cooperates with us!

Cruiseorbust and Libracruzer...are you going in 2006 or 2007?

We have not done this cruise, but we have done the train. It's fantastic. Get a family room or roomettes. The family rooms and deluxe bedrooms have a bath; the roomettes do not. However, there are faciltities in several locations. The sleeping car common shower rooms were terrific--clean, fully stocked, hot water (not tepid!), etc. With any sleeping car room you get exclusive use of the Parlor Car, which has beverages (sodas, club soda, coffee, water) available all the time and included in the room price. You also have morning continental breakfast, late morning snacks, afternoon wine/cheese/fruit/goodies (wines are from the regions you are traveling through, and are pretty good quality). Your room porter/steward will bring you coffee, juice, a newspaper, etc. in the morning, and coffee or tea in the evening. (One time the train was late, no surprise there, and we almost missed the wine/cheese hour the first day, so our porter brought a plate of goodies and three glasses of wine--one each of the three they were offering--right to our room while we settled in so we didn't have to rush down to the Parlor Car.) Also, breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the dining car are included in the room price (you have to pay for alcohol beverages in the dining car though). Wait a moment--this is starting to sound like a cruise on wheels. Hm, no wonder we liked it....

The scenery is fantastic, and we really like the northbound route. It's not possible to specify "port" or "starboard" (that is to say right or left side) of the sleeping car though. They never know from trip to trip which side will be which because sometimes they turn the train and sometimes they simply move the engines to the other end.

September is a fabulous time for this trip. OTOH, the end of May can be spectacular, if a little "iffier" for the seas and/or train weather.

Glad to hear people like the coastal cruise. We've considered it as a way to get up to visit our DD in Seattle, but the timing hasn't been right. Maybe next year.

beachchick

Loved it....went to San Diego 2 days early (one of our favorite cities)...cruised with buddies of ours....San Francisco is where the buddies were from so they toured us there with a rental car ALLL DAY!!! and then on to Astoria.....we walked the town...did the museum and had clam chowder at a Columbia River cafe...then in Victoria....we did the Prince of Whales tour......reasonable exciting...you do that in a rubber Zodiac boat...saw 2 pods of killer whales...http://www.princeofwhales.com ..... the in Vancouver stayed there a couple of days to tour the lovely city!

We had a 10th deck room...last time I was in a little boat under the Golden Gate...this time from our aft cabine could almost reach it!!!!!

Lou

We loved Astoria! For such a small place there was a lot to see. The Maritime Museum is first rate and we also went up to the Astoria Tower and out to Fort Clatsop, which was the culmination of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

I've heard really great things about Astoria too. I'm looking forward to seeing a different part of the coast than what I usually see. The train down will offer that (usually if I'm driving down from Vancouver to LA I drive the I5). Thanks for all the comments.

Cruiseorbust...you'll have to let us know how the cruise was!

Saw some great cruises on NCL for Vancouver to San Diego cruises in September 24/05...(259 interior, 299 oceanview for 4day sailings)...tempting!

Good write up on Amtrak, Beachchik, we have done the same trip and doing it again in May...probably September also.

Just one small thing....family bedrooms do not have a bathroom....you have to go down the hall....just deluxe bedrooms have them.

We will be taking Radiance southbound YVR to LAX in September.

We are going on this cruise in May, looking forward to it. Some highlights for us will be whale watching in Victoria and kayaking in Nanaimo. I am not concerned about the weather, I did a repositioning cruise in May a few years ago from San Francisco to Vancouver and the weather and seas were great! If you are thinking of doing this cruise, don't wait until 2007. These repositioning cruises tend to change from year to year, so you can't count on the same one being there the next year.

Good write up on Amtrak, Beachchik, we have done the same trip and doing it again in May...probably September also.

Just one small thing....family bedrooms do not have a bathroom....you have to go down the hall....just deluxe bedrooms have them.

We will be taking Radiance southbound YVR to LAX in September.

:o Oops...DH and I have always traveled in the roomettes. I thought I remembered that the family bedrooms had bathrooms (not showers, just the "facilities"). Obviously my faulty memory deceived me once again. Sigh. Thank you for the correction. It is a great trip, isn't it?

beachchick

Archived