Single use of a cabin?

Just been doing a mock online booking and it’s only letting me book a single person cabin, rather than a double and pay a supplement.

Is this a standard Thomson/Marella thing? would I just have to book and pay for 2 people and just have the 2nd person not turn up???

• 2 weeks later...

I phoned Marella on 02034512682. A very helpful young lady did her best to move me from an outside cabin on deck 3 to a cabin neat to my family on deck 8. We are all going on Discovery 2 next summer. The system would not let her. I went on Discovery 2 two weeks ago and spoke to the hotel manager and the chief receptionist. I asked if I would be able to negotiate a move whilst on board next summer. They said that I should go directly to the front desk on arrival on the ship. They would then give me a price to move cabin if there was one vacant. 

Not sure which ship you are looking at but on my one Marella cruise aboard Discovery 2, the cabin was sold as a single but had a double bed.  The cabin was compact but very adequate for one person  .  You could only access the bed from one side but that wasn't a problem and there was also a small sofa.  Plenty of wardrobe/drawer space.

Edited by Britboys

I would like to know the answer for this too. If there is no option for a  cruise for a single person, could you simply select a cruise for 2, pay for it and just turn up on your own?

Would they object if you had paid the price for 2 people?