Papeete and Moorea

cranmom

Need help deciding. We arrive at 8:30 at night, 2 nights before our cruise. Wondering if we book that first night in Papeete and then spend one night in Moorea is it worth it or should we just spend both nights in Papeete?? Thoughts???

You'll probably want to stay in Papeete at least that first night. Then your decision would depend on whether or not you'll be visiting Moorea and how OK you are with moving hotels twice. There is a lot more to see and do in Moorea than Papeete, although driving around Tahiti has it's charms. If it were me I'd do a quick stay in Papeete at a modest hotel in town, and zip over to Moorea on the ferry early next morning to the Hilton Moorea. It has some of the best snorkeling on the island and the dining is quite good. For a free pickup at the airport and drop off at the pier/ship/ferry in Papeete we stay at Fare Suisse- it's very spare but clean and comfortable. You'll be off to Moorea next day in no time. If you decide to stay in Papeete I'd go for the Intercontinental for two nights. The pool area and amenities are quite nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The norm is if you have one or two days to simply stay on Tahiti at a nice place like the Intercontinental Resort. For 3 or more days it is worth heading over to Moorea. I've been to the islands 20 time now and I host a large group on-line for the area so I get feedback all the time so what I'm sharing goes way beyond mt suggestion ;)

• Like 1

Moorea is easily  done as a day trip from Tahiti and taking the ferry means you can also take a rental car and drive around the island.  As far as hotels are concerned, the IC is not in town but out by the airport.  It's a ridiculously over-priced, under-performing all-American resort that began life as a Travelodge.  There isn't a beach.  If you want a proper beach in Tahiti stay at the Pearl in the Matavai Bay area.  If you are joining a cruise ship I'd recommend the Tahiti Nui in downtown Papeete.  You can walk to the shops and restaurants, enjoy the cosmopolitan vibe of Papeete, have dinner at the roulottes and then walk to the pier and board your ship.  

• Like 1

Hi Fletcher!

Tahiti Nui is close to everything and for a fair price you get a clean room with A/C. I agree on the day trip but if one stays at the Tahiti Bui they can simply walk to the ferry and then rent a car for 8 hours from Avis across the street from the ferry on Moorea.

I'm staying at the Pearl post cruise this year, stayed there before before it was the Pearl. Nice beach but the location is a ways from down town PPT, the closes place to eat other than the resort is a Mc Donalds a mile away.

Even though some say the IC is expensive it is the place most cruisers stay pre/post so the camaraderie is fun and of the course the dinner show is spectacular. (you can watch the show without buying the dinner but as it is an expensive show to put on I encourage people to buy something, maybe a foo foo drink at the bar or order from the menu. 

• Like 1

A question of what to do.

Were looking a booking a flight arriving into PPT at 6pm.  Have 8 1/2 days until our cruise (which does stop for the day at Moorea).  Would it be better to head to Moorea the first day, spend X time there before returning to Papeete?

Speak/read/write French with some level of competency.

Cruise isn't even listed on the various cruise timetables (and it isn't any version of Aranui)

16 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

A question of what to do.

Were looking a booking a flight arriving into PPT at 6pm.  Have 8 1/2 days until our cruise (which does stop for the day at Moorea).  Would it be better to head to Moorea the first day, spend X time there before returning to Papeete?

Speak/read/write French with some level of competency.

Cruise isn't even listed on the various cruise timetables (and it isn't any version of Aranui)

Personally I wouldn't stay on Tahiti for 8 days .... get yourself over to Moorea and enjoy a week there. You will need to spend one night in PPT as your plane arrives so late in the day. I would suggest Fare Suisse as Benni the owner will pick you up at the airport and drop you off at the ferry terminal the following morning. When you return the ferry terminal in PPT is 100 meters from the ships.

2 hours ago, cruising cockroach said:

Sorry, mistyped.  Arrives at 6a (if we fly AF) so we thought we'd go to Moorea the same morning.

So there's not much of interest in Tahiti (Papeete) itself?

The cruise is aimed at diving but we'll probably just snorkel where appropriate.

Simply take a taxi to the ferry terminal in PPT. Enjoy a week on Moorea  .... Tahiti has a beautiful interior but PPT is simply hustle and bustle and most get them selves off Tahiti as soon as possible. Top two islands people go to are Bora Bora and Moorea. Interestingly many who think Bora bora is the island they will enjoy the most re-think after they have visited both. Moorea is very much loved by so many.

Best diving will be on Fakarava and Rangiroa 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

So if one arrives into PPT at 6a or so on Day 0, and prefer to be back on Papeete sometime on Day 7 (cruise starts boarding 16-17h on Day 8), what would be the preferred itinerary?   My wife really wants to go to Bora Bora.

Should we fly to Bora Bora on Day 0 after we arrive, stay there for a couple of days and then fly to Moorea before ferrying back to Papeete on Day 7?  If we want to see a bit of the island, is the morning and  early afternoon of Day 8 enough to have a look around?

We are not shoppers or ones for absorbing rays on the beach/doing the resort stuff, and are very comfortable travelling independently.    Fakarava will be the stop after Moorea.

Thanks again

You could go to Moorea first, take a taxi from the airport to the ferry unless your going to fly to Moorea, then on to Bora Bora. When you return to the airport simply rent a car for the day. Avis will be your best bet even though it is usually a bit more, the reason being that the downtown PPT Avis office is pretty close to the ships. You drop off the car and they have a shuttle to take you to the ship. Use the car to keep your bags in and to zip around Tahiti a bit.

• 8 months later...

From the Sydney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia yesterday, they had this headline: “Moorea, French Polynesia travel guide and things to do: Nine must-do highlights” with these highlights: “The wickedly-indulgent accommodation concept of the overwater bungalow originated in this part of the world and Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa is a luxurious example, with giddy tariffs to match. It features a necklace of lavish overwater bungalows.  Luxury resorts aside, the relaxed Moorea Beach Café enjoys one of the choicest lagoonside locales of any restaurant on the island. Be sure to secure one of the coveted waterside tables at sunset then sit back and savour one of the menu's excellent fish dishes, such as wasabi-crusted seared tuna with creamy mashed potato.”  Sounds like a tasty treat in a super scenic location!!??

Although our February 2020 South Pacific cruise does not include a stop at Moorea, others might arrange visiting there after completing the official cruising schedule.  Here are some other good tip for this famed location: "Moorea, like everywhere else in French Polynesia, is overshadowed by Bora Bora yet it is every bit as spectacular and, for that matter, far more authentic. Don't be captive to your accommodation on Moorea. Rent a vehicle for at least a day to properly explore the island. The scenic, coast-hugging main road that circumnavigates the island is well-made and maintained, and there's also the bonus of being able to glimpse  daily village life along the way. Beware, Mooreans drive on the right side of the road."  

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/moorea-french-polynesia-travel-guide-and-things-to-do-nine-mustdo-highlights-h1elm7

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 64,129 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Here is one of the visuals used to illustrate this article about the beauty of this Moorea location.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1234817663_ScreenShot2019-06-29at4_14_50PM.thumb.png.edb8d9fa6d0edc247761600fd05626a9.png

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 2:59 PM, cruising cockroach said:

So if one arrives into PPT at 6a or so on Day 0, and prefer to be back on Papeete sometime on Day 7 (cruise starts boarding 16-17h on Day 8), what would be the preferred itinerary?   My wife really wants to go to Bora Bora.

Should we fly to Bora Bora on Day 0 after we arrive, stay there for a couple of days and then fly to Moorea before ferrying back to Papeete on Day 7?  If we want to see a bit of the island, is the morning and  early afternoon of Day 8 enough to have a look around?

We are not shoppers or ones for absorbing rays on the beach/doing the resort stuff, and are very comfortable travelling independently.    Fakarava will be the stop after Moorea.

Thanks again

You're already going to be at the airport 6am on Day 0. I think your initial plan to fly to Bora Bora same day sounds pretty nice. Try to stay in BB for three days (you won't regret) although Moorea approaches the same beauty as BB. Then back to PPT Day 8 just as you describe. If you take the early ferry you can meet a tour driver at the landing in PPT  https://www.yotatahiti.com/index.php/en/

and spend 4-5 hours on a circle island tour before your cruise. It all sounds soooooo fantastic. Lucky you two to start a cruise off this way!

Fakarava is a divers/snorkelers paradise. Spectacular.

23 hours ago, Petoonya said:

You're already going to be at the airport 6am on Day 0. I think your initial plan to fly to Bora Bora same day sounds pretty nice. Try to stay in BB for three days (you won't regret) although Moorea approaches the same beauty as BB. Then back to PPT Day 8 just as you describe. If you take the early ferry you can meet a tour driver at the landing in PPT  https://www.yotatahiti.com/index.php/en/

and spend 4-5 hours on a circle island tour before your cruise. It all sounds soooooo fantastic. Lucky you two to start a cruise off this way!

Fakarava is a divers/snorkelers paradise. Spectacular.

OMG- just noticing that the post I was responding to is from 2018! Red-faced here.

12 hours ago, dw64 said:

Arriving into PPT at 10:40 PM, & leave at 9:30 PM, next day. 22 hr layover. What hotel should i book that might allow late check out?  Thanks.

Don't think there are any that do anymore. You could try asking the Intercontinental Tahiti but doubt that they can accommodate you- worth a try. Probably best booking an inexpensive or moderate hotel for two nites instead. There's the B&B Fare Suisse that is modest but comfortable about $100/nite. Or the Sarah Nui in town about the same. I've seen the Manava Suite for as low as $150/nite. The IC Tahiti runs about $350/nite but have seen that for $225 on occasion.

The beauty of Fare Suisse is that the owners will pick you up at the airport and return you. It's not fancy but comfortable. Then there are Airbnbs like the one I stayed at last winter who will also pickup and return.

• Like 1

As mentioned by Petoonya check out Fare Suisse and book for two nights, figure $100 - $125 USD each night. You will also save on transfers or a taxi as Benni will come and get you and take you back to thew airport. Fare Suisse is within walking distance of everything downtown.

http://fare-suisse.com/

I've checked  .... no one seems to offer late checkout unless you pay for it.

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2018 at 1:25 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The norm is if you have one or two days to simply stay on Tahiti at a nice place like the Intercontinental Resort. For 3 or more days it is worth heading over to Moorea. I've been to the islands 20 time now and I host a large group on-line for the area so I get feedback all the time so what I'm sharing goes way beyond mt suggestion 😉

Tahitianbigkahuna, I hope it is not against the rules to ask for information about the large online group you host. I’m trying to get as much firsthand advice about this area as I can. Thanks!

Question about Fare-Suisse - We are booked for one night post cruise.

Is the van that that they use to take you to the airport large enough for four adults and four suitcases?  Or should we just arrange for a taxi? 

Also, our flight is at 8:20 AM and the website says airport runs start at 6:30 AM.  That would not get us to the airport two hours before our flight.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:20 PM, Petoonya said:

Don't think there are any that do anymore. You could try asking the Intercontinental Tahiti but doubt that they can accommodate you- worth a try. Probably best booking an inexpensive or moderate hotel for two nites instead. There's the B&B Fare Suisse that is modest but comfortable about $100/nite. Or the Sarah Nui in town about the same. I've seen the Manava Suite for as low as $150/nite. The IC Tahiti runs about $350/nite but have seen that for $225 on occasion.

The beauty of Fare Suisse is that the owners will pick you up at the airport and return you. It's not fancy but comfortable. Then there are Airbnbs like the one I stayed at last winter who will also pickup and return.

25 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

Question about Fare-Suisse - We are booked for one night post cruise.

Is the van that that they use to take you to the airport large enough for four adults and four suitcases?  Or should we just arrange for a taxi? 

Also, our flight is at 8:20 AM and the website says airport runs start at 6:30 AM.  That would not get us to the airport two hours before our flight.

Contact Beni @ Fare Suisse

info@fare-suisse.com

@Heartfelttraveler

Last time we used Fare Suisse they had a mini-van which accommodated 6 people plus luggage.

Looks like your cruise is a go so far. Exciting- finally!

As to your flight I'll bet there are other people on your flight who will need a ride. I would guess if they can't work it for you, they could pre-arrange a taxi to take you. And again, if not there are a lot of Airbnb's close to the airport in Faaa maybe even large enough for your and your friends. Barring that there is Tahiti Airport Motel. Nothing fancy but acceptable. If Fare Suisse doesn't work Tahiti Airport Hotel is probably what I'd choose. I believe they can manage whatever you need as long as you pre-arrange.

• 3 weeks later...

Question about the ferry to/from Tahiti/Moorea. I found the Aramiti website and I can purchase tickets ahead of time but they are good for any day/time so I am not actually reserving a spot on a specific ferry departure. Is there a way to reserve a particular departure time? Do the ferries get crowded enough that we might have to wait for the next one? We will be in FP at the end of August, 2021 which is close to our Labor Day holiday, so could be busy. Any options besides Aramiti (don't really want the added expense of flying to Moorea)? I understand that things are different post-covid, just looking for any experiences you may have had in the past. Thanks!