Help with Deluxe Beverage Package

4 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

I'm having a problem justifying $925 for two, but, I will still buy it :classic_rolleyes:

Remember that it does not just include alcohol either.  Bottled water - both sparkling and still, fresh squeezed OJ in the morning, specialty coffee and tea at the cafe, soda, the Coke Freestyle machines on ships that have them, etc....  Also, to make yourself feel better, when ordering an alcohol beverage - like a simple pina coloada - specify the specific top shelf brand liquor that goes in it and don't just settle for the well brand.

When you look at the onboard prices for drinks, it is not hard to spend the equivalent cost of the drink package.  At least for many of us.  Best of luck and most importantly - ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Dan.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dan-P said:

Remember that it does not just include alcohol either.  Bottled water - both sparkling and still, fresh squeezed OJ in the morning, specialty coffee and tea at the cafe, soda, the Coke Freestyle machines on ships that have them, etc....  Also, to make yourself feel better, when ordering an alcohol beverage - like a simple pina coloada - specify the specific top shelf brand liquor that goes in it and don't just settle for the well brand.

When you look at the onboard prices for drinks, it is not hard to spend the equivalent cost of the drink package.  At least for many of us.  Best of luck and most importantly - ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Dan.

Thanks Dan! 

5 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

I think I'm too far out.  My sailing is still 7 months away. I will keep checking it.

Buy it now (if you can afford tying the money up), then watch in your Cruise Personalizer for sales or reduction in price. I have cancelled and rebought DBP twice and internet three times, finally winding up with the combined beverage-Voom package (times 2) @US$47!

Originally the combo bundle was more than buying separately but when that was fixed it became the better deal.

9 hours ago, Dan-P said:

Dan.

I agree with Dan.  I bought it for the bottled water alone.  My husband and I will easily make it worth it I think with the water, coffee and of course, the alcohol.  LOL 

We are going on the Serenade in December and we were able to get the Deluxe package for $39 a night!! Which I think is a great deal!! Obviously, it's less because it's Serenade and not Allure or Oasis, etc.  We chose her for the 11 night Southern Caribbean itinerary and not the ship, per se.  

So keep looking on the cruise planner, especially around any holidays.  Hopefully you all will get a great deal like we did!! Good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I stand corrected - for our Christmas / New Years cruise. I paid $51(x 1.18 x 12 days) or $722.16 each. My wife, though not a big drinker, will make up hers in sparkling water and her fancy coffees in the morning. 

Heres how I look at it from her perspective:

1) morning coffee 1@$5+

2) 3 Perrier (or whatever at lunch, dinner) @$5+

3) 2 still water ( while taking her walk) @$5

4) 2 cocktails by pool @$10

5) 2 glasses of wine at dinner @$10

Thats roughly $70 + 18% or $82.60 a day. Unfortunately, at a cruise line’s inflated individual prices, it’s not hard to get to their number. 

14 hours ago, blindrid said:

I’m booking and keeping an eye on it. Just bought today on SOS, Christmas/New Year s cruise at $61+. We’re 66 days out. 

R

• Like 2

Castle Rock- thanks for saying 'how' you used your drink package- it helped!  We are only 2 decks above the Promenade Cafe so I thought, heck, get the specialty coffee in the morning- that  would be nice... Nicer if DH (Who gets up before me) can go down and get good coffee.

Even 4 years ago, before espresso/specialty coffee was included in the Alcohol package, my wife and I came out way ahead when factoring all of the bottles of water we grabbed, especially to bring with us on shore excursions (we would hit up 3 bars on our way off the Adventure and each order one bottle at each bar. We had a good 3L of water in our bag to start the day. Now with specialty coffee and juices included, we jumped at getting the Deluxe package, not worrying if we have a "ok I need to detox" day or two later in the cruise keeping our alcohol tab down. 

FWIW, I was able to snag $47pp on Oasis for January. So far that's the lowest it's gone for our sailing, but we're still just outside final payment cutoff and have black Friday between now and then, so I'm hoping to shave another couple bucks off with a rebuy. 

Black Friday is a good chance to get better prices on all the Cruise Planner items.

For our Alaskan Cruise on the Radiance this past August, the Drink Package was $41, total paid $347.

For our Caribbean Cruise on the Harmony this past June the Deluxe Package was $45, total paid $372.

Thanks to the premium coffee, bottled waters, and fresh-squeeze juices, it's a no-brainer for me at those prices.  YMMV.

Hi everyone 

Enjoyed reading the thread...

Going on ovation for 11 nights with my wife and two little ones. We gotten the drink package included when booking a couple times on celebrity cruises but it's going to be hard to actually pay for it for 11 nights....

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with buying the package partway through the cruise? I know I might not get the pre cruise online discount but paying for four or five days will be a lot cheaper than 11!

The other issue is that my wife doesn't drink much and definitely not enough to get the deluxe package. So is the rule about both adults in a stateroom being required to get the package...is that enforced or are exemptions easy to get? I read an exemption often means the non drinker needs to still get some package like "refreshment." 

I think I could probably get the deluxe package just for myself while onboard but I'd miss out on discounts and also maybe they won't allow buying it during the five days at sea (Hawaii to Vancouver)

Happy to hear your thoughts!

Adam 

12 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

Hi everyone 

Enjoyed reading the thread...

Going on ovation for 11 nights with my wife and two little ones. We gotten the drink package included when booking a couple times on celebrity cruises but it's going to be hard to actually pay for it for 11 nights....

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with buying the package partway through the cruise? I know I might not get the pre cruise online discount but paying for four or five days will be a lot cheaper than 11!

The other issue is that my wife doesn't drink much and definitely not enough to get the deluxe package. So is the rule about both adults in a stateroom being required to get the package...is that enforced or are exemptions easy to get? I read an exemption often means the non drinker needs to still get some package like "refreshment." 

I think I could probably get the deluxe package just for myself while onboard but I'd miss out on discounts and also maybe they won't allow buying it during the five days at sea (Hawaii to Vancouver)

Happy to hear your thoughts!

Adam 

You can buy the drink package with as little as 4 days left in the cruise.  They still enforce the requirement that all adults in the same stateroom must buy the package, but you might get by with getting your wife a less expensive package.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:12 AM, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Does that include 18% gratuity?

$54+18% = $63.72.

$62+18%=$73.16

I had the Deluxe package on my last cruise, I think I broke even, but barely.  I don't see being able to break even at $60+/day. 

I'm wondering if the individual drink prices will also go up eventually? If so, the math to your breakeven point may still work.

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm wondering if the individual drink prices will also go up eventually? If so, the math to your breakeven point may still work.

Probably,  they always want to incent people to buy the packages.

I could swear that I just read the individual drink prices were going up for 2019 but cannot find where I saw that.  Hubby and I got it for $42+ per day for our December cruise and are waiting on a deal for our May 2019 cruise.  Hubby gets his money worth and I'm going to really take advantage of those specialty coffees to get my money worth. 

21 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

You can buy the drink package with as little as 4 days left in the cruise.  They still enforce the requirement that all adults in the same stateroom must buy the package, but you might get by with getting your wife a less expensive package.

Thanks Clarea! Maybe I'll call RCI and/or my agent, and see what they say. I'll have to see what my wife would be OK with, too, of course. 

Just confirming, do you think they're requiring a couple to both get a package, also when buying on board? or just online beforehand? 

Thanks again, 
Adam 

6 hours ago, ozziebound said:

Thanks Clarea! Maybe I'll call RCI and/or my agent, and see what they say. I'll have to see what my wife would be OK with, too, of course. 

Just confirming, do you think they're requiring a couple to both get a package, also when buying on board? or just online beforehand? 

Thanks again, 
Adam 

Same rules pre-cruise or buying on board.  However, we've been offered to have the second person get a soda package when purchasing on board, and it seems pre-cruise they always require at least the Refreshment package.

48 minutes ago, pattak619 said:

Just a quick question, when does the "gratuity' added before or after a discount? We now are eligable for a 30% discount on the deluxe pkg onboard . Thanks

Gratuity is based on the price after discount.

6 minutes ago, calgon2007 said:

How close to sailing date can I purchase online? I'm hoping to snag a black Friday sale price, but I sail a week later. Will I be cutting it too close? 

Cruise planner is available up to 3 days prior to sailing.  I thought that I read that there were a few ships that they were testing a 24 hour cut off but I’m not sure.

Not sure where this test is at but here are the initial ships where it is 24 hours prior to sailing.

Pre-cruise purchases can be made via Royal Caribbean's Cruise Planner site. Here is the list of ships and which sailing the new policy is effective:

• Allure of the Seas: 9/16/18
  • Anthem of the Seas: 9/15/18
  • Harmony of the Seas: 9/15/18
  • Oasis of the Seas: 9/16/18
  • Grandeur of the Seas: 9/13/18
  • Adventure of the Seas: 9/17/18
  • Brilliance of the Seas: 9/17/18
  • Liberty of the Seas: Effective Immediately

Edited by Ourusualbeach

4 hours ago, calgon2007 said:

How close to sailing date can I purchase online? I'm hoping to snag a black Friday sale price, but I sail a week later. Will I be cutting it too close? 

You also take the chance that Royal may sell the quota of packages and remove that option from the Cruise Planner.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:24 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Black Friday is a good chance to get better prices on all the Cruise Planner items.

For our Alaskan Cruise on the Radiance this past August, the Drink Package was $41, total paid $347.

For our Caribbean Cruise on the Harmony this past June the Deluxe Package was $45, total paid $372.

Thanks to the premium coffee, bottled waters, and fresh-squeeze juices, it's a no-brainer for me at those prices.  YMMV.

Don’t forget to include Johnny Rockets milk shakes! I paid $55 for it plus voom. And $45 for wife’s. I’m sure it will be used. Still checking prices as we are 56 days out.