Portugal - Post Cruise

erby2283

My bf and I are flying from Barcelona to Portugal post cruise in August.  My bf is of Portuguese decent so he really wanted to go here. Can anyone recommend some hotels and things to do our tours to take while we are there?

Hi there

Well it depends on where you are going of course - you mentioned no cities. Do some research on your own using a good guide or trip advisor on Lisbon or other cities you may want to visit in Portugal - too much to possibly comment on in one message. Lisbon and Oporto are the main destinations and should both be considered by you. I assume you'll be starting in Lisbon. Lots to do there i recommend any walking tour. In Lisbon l also recommend tours offered by We Hate Tourism Tours, Spain Day Tours/Top Day Tours, Lisboa Tuk Tuk (customize yourself for 3 hours based on their other std tours). Skip the hop on hop off busses. I recommend our Lisbon hotel, Hotel Bessa on Avenida Liberdade but there a a ton of hotels in that vicinity from 2 star to 5 star - all depends on your budget. Lot of Air B &B options too  - just get to know the neighborhoods you want to be in. Also walk from Marques Pombal Square all the way down to Rossio Sq on Liberdade and check out all the vendors selling their wares one afternoon. If there is a Eurostars hotel near Liberdade check them out too, pretty good value for 3-4 stars. Check out Bairro Alto/Principe Real neighborhoods for any kind of restaurant you can imagine including lots of small tapas places and bars later in the night. Get out on the water - lots of different tours/trips around harbors including Lisbon and Oporto. Good luck

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, grnrab said:

Hi there

Well it depends on where you are going of course - you mentioned no cities. Do some research on your own using a good guide or trip advisor on Lisbon or other cities you may want to visit in Portugal - too much to possibly comment on in one message. Lisbon and Oporto are the main destinations and should both be considered by you. I assume you'll be starting in Lisbon. Lots to do there i recommend any walking tour. In Lisbon l also recommend tours offered by We Hate Tourism Tours, Spain Day Tours/Top Day Tours, Lisboa Tuk Tuk (customize yourself for 3 hours based on their other std tours). Skip the hop on hop off busses. I recommend our Lisbon hotel, Hotel Bessa on Avenida Liberdade but there a a ton of hotels in that vicinity from 2 star to 5 star - all depends on your budget. Lot of Air B &B options too  - just get to know the neighborhoods you want to be in. Also walk from Marques Pombal Square all the way down to Rossio Sq on Liberdade and check out all the vendors selling their wares one afternoon. If there is a Eurostars hotel near Liberdade check them out too, pretty good value for 3-4 stars. Check out Bairro Alto/Principe Real neighborhoods for any kind of restaurant you can imagine including lots of small tapas places and bars later in the night. Get out on the water - lots of different tours/trips around harbors including Lisbon and Oporto. Good luck

Thank you! Yes, sorry, we are flying into Lisbon from Thur to early Sun AM.  I did find a 2-day tour (Sintra, Cascais, Fatima, Nazare and Obidos - small group for about $159 USD). I just know absolutely nothing about Lisbon or what there is to do or see and didn't know if that was a good tour to try.   Thanks for all your tips - very useful!

We stayed in Lisbon for 4 nights precruise this past September 2018. We rented an Airbnb apartment that ended up bring in the perfect part of town for us. We walked almost everywhere and used Uber a few times. We like having a bit more space in an apartment versus a hotel. We had a small balcony with great views towards the sea. We used We Hate Tourism Tours for two different tours and loved them! We did the lunch with locals and their small group tour to Sintra. Here is our view...

05800F03-BFB1-42C8-95AC-503552596879.jpeg

Edited by Ski Mom 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2018 at 6:13 PM, erby2283 said:

Thank you! Yes, sorry, we are flying into Lisbon from Thur to early Sun AM.  I did find a 2-day tour (Sintra, Cascais, Fatima, Nazare and Obidos - small group for about $159 USD). I just know absolutely nothing about Lisbon or what there is to do or see and didn't know if that was a good tour to try.   Thanks for all your tips - very useful!

They certainly are great places to see - sounds a lot of things to see in two days, but not expensive.  These are all places that are "not Lisbon" though.  Lisbon has a charm of its own.  We spent two days there last spring and could have spent more.  It has lovely food, very special architecture, we spent most of our time walking and taking photographs.  

I have just noticed that you are going in August.  I would do Lisbon, Sintra and Cascais.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum

On 10/21/2018 at 1:31 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

They certainly are great places to see - sounds a lot of things to see in two days, but not expensive.  These are all places that are "not Lisbon" though.  Lisbon has a charm of its own.  We spent two days there last spring and could have spent more.  It has lovely food, very special architecture, we spent most of our time walking and taking photographs.  

I have just noticed that you are going in August.  I would do Lisbon, Sintra and Cascais.  

On 10/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, Ski Mom 2 said:

We stayed in Lisbon for 4 nights precruise this past September 2018. We rented an Airbnb apartment that ended up bring in the perfect part of town for us. We walked almost everywhere and used Uber a few times. We like having a bit more space in an apartment versus a hotel. We had a small balcony with great views towards the sea. We used We Hate Tourism Tours for two different tours and loved them! We did the lunch with locals and their small group tour to Sintra. Here is our view...

05800F03-BFB1-42C8-95AC-503552596879.jpeg

Thank you you guys! Yes, I was actually looking on VRBO (never used AirBNB before) for a place. Seems cheaper than a hotel. Just have to make sure it has air conditioning or my BF will kill me. lol

• 2 months later...

We spent almost two months in Lisbon and Porto last year.  Unless you just particularly want a guided tour, doing Sintra and Cascais are both easy DIY.  For 50 eurocents, you purchase a reloadable transportation card that is good on buses, metro and the regional train system.  When you swipe it, it deducts the proper amount.  

The train system runs every 20 minutes to/from Cascais where it ends.  I would suggest riding to the end of the line, exploring Cascais, having lunch (octopus!) and then walking the waterside promenade back up river for as far as you are comfortable.  There are a number of stops on the train line back to Lisbon and all are easily seen or marked from the promenade.

To get to Sintra you start on the metro and then change over to the regional train, again using the same reloadable fare card (when you swipe it, it shows you your balance so you can reload when needed).  In Sintra, you have to purchase a separate ticket for the circulator bus that takes you to the Moorish Castle and to the Palace.  We had a great day here even in the rain!  

In Lisbon, the same card will let you ride the trams and buses (buses are cheaper, new trams cheaper than the historic ones) and I would suggest spending at least part of the day in Belem.  Be sure to have a pastry but don't wait in the long line, just go in the other door and keep heading towards the back until you find an empty table.  Same cost and so much more civilized.  If you can get a table in the courtyard, all the better!  While in Belem, be sure and visit the monastery, it is quite beautiful. We also enjoyed visiting the coach museum.

During our return to Lisbon last fall, we took our Mom on a sunset cruise on the river which we all enjoyed.  It is a great way to get an overview of beautiful Lisbon.  We enjoyed several meals at the old City Market which is now run as a Food Hall by TimeOut.  Be sure to have Duck Rice and Bachalau while in Lisbon.

Have a great visit!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

We spent almost two months in Lisbon and Porto last year.  Unless you just particularly want a guided tour, doing Sintra and Cascais are both easy DIY.  For 50 eurocents, you purchase a reloadable transportation card that is good on buses, metro and the regional train system.  When you swipe it, it deducts the proper amount.  

The train system runs every 20 minutes to/from Cascais where it ends.  I would suggest riding to the end of the line, exploring Cascais, having lunch (octopus!) and then walking the waterside promenade back up river for as far as you are comfortable.  There are a number of stops on the train line back to Lisbon and all are easily seen or marked from the promenade.

To get to Sintra you start on the metro and then change over to the regional train, again using the same reloadable fare card (when you swipe it, it shows you your balance so you can reload when needed).  In Sintra, you have to purchase a separate ticket for the circulator bus that takes you to the Moorish Castle and to the Palace.  We had a great day here even in the rain!  

In Lisbon, the same card will let you ride the trams and buses (buses are cheaper, new trams cheaper than the historic ones) and I would suggest spending at least part of the day in Belem.  Be sure to have a pastry but don't wait in the long line, just go in the other door and keep heading towards the back until you find an empty table.  Same cost and so much more civilized.  If you can get a table in the courtyard, all the better!  While in Belem, be sure and visit the monastery, it is quite beautiful. We also enjoyed visiting the coach museum.

During our return to Lisbon last fall, we took our Mom on a sunset cruise on the river which we all enjoyed.  It is a great way to get an overview of beautiful Lisbon.  We enjoyed several meals at the old City Market which is now run as a Food Hall by TimeOut.  Be sure to have Duck Rice and Bachalau while in Lisbon.

Have a great visit!

Thanks Clay! I will print this and put in my file for my trip.  My bf really wants to make it to Porto. Do you think it's a waste of a day? I think it's about 2 hours each way. We will be there from mid-day on a Thursday and flying out very early on Sun morning (6 am :classic_blink:). I did end up booking a VRBO - it's on a pedestrian street right in the center of Lisbon and am so excited to be immersed right into the culture.