Bringing Monster Energy Cans (15oz) on board?

adamt

I'll be taking my 13th cruise next month and have begun to drink sugar free, non carbonated Monster Energy drinks instead of coffee every morning. Carnival defines your allowable drinks to bring on board as " A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

Monsters come in 15oz cans and can be purchased in 10 pack cases, easily packed in a carry on. 

144oz vs 150oz seems inconsequential, but has anyone ever been forced to throw their monster energy cans away trying to bring them on board? 

Let's say 75% of the scanners will reject your over sized cans and maybe the other 25% will let it on board.  Are you willing to do those odds?

Since Carnival sells small sized Rock Stars ( sugar and sugar free)  for over $5 each, they might instruct their scanners to weed out any smuggled or non conforming drinkables.  Certainly  booze is at the top of the list, followed by water and other items like energy drinks.

Up to you, you read and quoted what Carnival allows.

Edited by evandbob

1 hour ago, ManyMore said:

I brought Rock Star (16oz) on all of my cruises, they never even hesitate. As long as it's not alcohol or a crazy amount, they don't really care.

thats not what I have read here from others... what you experienced is not necessarily what the OP will experience. its great that they let you take them despite it being against the rules bit I would not say that they dont really care. Others have had them confiscated. YMMV

Ymmv is true! My opinion is you won’t have a problem ,, if you have a happy face ,, don’t ask for permission,, don’t point out the drinks ,, keep them occupied on your happyness,, be nice when you beg forgiveness, point out half the case is someone else’s ... is that within the rules ,, you carry on 10, but 5 are mine? In the sealed container box ,, 

me,, I’d do attempt and not blink any eye but ymmv its true,

It used to be 20 ounce limit when bottles of soda were still allowed. Somehow in trying to stop smuggling the limit got lowered to 12 ounce cans only. I can understand the elimination of bottles but reducing the can size to 12 ounces in effect knocked many of the energy drinks  which are 16 ounces off the permissible drinks. That had nothing to do with smuggling and everything to do with cutting down your options.

2 hours ago, vinsheer said:

I always bring 5 or 6 of the 15 oz monsters in my carry on....they usually check my bag to make sure they're not beer but have not had them say anything or take them. Long Beach and Seattle are my ports.

The risk you take is not all Carnival employees are as incompetent, for lack of a better word, as you indicate they are at Long Beach and Seattle.  It is not enough to change my preference cruising on Carnival, but it is interesting how employees at every port and on every ship don’t always follow or enforce Carnival’s own rules. 

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The risk you take is not all Carnival employees are as incompetent, for lack of a better word, as you indicate they are at Long Beach and Seattle.  It is not enough to change my preference cruising on Carnival, but it is interesting how employees at every port and on every ship don’t always follow or enforce Carnival’s own rules. 

I think most of the employees at the ports (I know at least this is the case in San Juan) aren't carnival employees.  They also might have multiple different cruise lines at the same port which could make it hard for the employees to remember which cruise lines have which rules.

2 hours ago, shoptom said:

I would take nine cans and know I was within their rules.

you wouldn't be. The rules are clear

Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles.  A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage).  A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.  Any hard liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic beverage, and non-alcoholic beverages, outside of the exceptions referenced above, are strictly prohibited (in both carry-on and checked luggage) and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided

it doesn't say take 1 - 144 ounce or 2 - 72 ounce or 4 - 36 ounce , etc

12 ounces each or less.... while people might be able to board with larger size cans ... it is NOT within their rules