Live Whisper 18 - 31 Oct.

Tothesunset

Here we are, then, in Lisbon at the Real Palacio pigging out on chocolate biscuits and diet coke from the supermarket. Oh, yes, we can do sophisticated don't you know? 

Heathrow was as horrible as ever and our car from Lisbon Airport wasn't waiting for us but arrived in a few minutes after a not very pleased phone call. 

The Real Palacio is OK. It's rated 5 stars but is probably a 3 and a bit really. But it will do the job and the staff have been excellent. 

No idea how to post photos now. Is the app still working? In fact, if I weren't so lazy I could try it. I'll do that now. 

Edited by Tothesunset

So we board the Whisper in 2 day's time. The schedule is sea day, Casablanca, sea day, Madeira, many sea days to Fort Lauderdale. If anyone needs any info as the voyage progresses just ask. I'll try to keep a journal on here but fear that I may not be as diligent as some members whose trip reports have brightened this forum over the years. 

Time for 2 lazy bunnies to hit the hay. G'night all. 

Edited by Tothesunset

Wide awake at 4.30. How can one get jet lag without even changing time zone? Pottering around waiting for breakfast then out into a pleasantly balmy Lisbon for a bit of an explore. 

Incidentally, this is all being done on a 5 inch screen, in bed, in the semi gloom without my glasses on. All typos, syntactical errors and grammatical faux pas can be explained  by one of the excuses in the previous sentence. 

12 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Have a great time TTS. Not sure your weather conditions will allow for your favourite extracurricular activity though.

The Atlantic in October? Expecting a mill pond. Ever the optimist! 

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Don't know why that quote has appeared. 

Anyway, we've rather fallen for Lisbon. What a great city for strolling around. Walked 10 miles all through Alfama and the Bairrio Alto. 

Some pics:

IMG_20181017_120440442.thumb.jpg.60fa5720de3cc605e4afa86d58d10b42.jpg

IMG_20181017_115351695.jpg

IMG_20181017_104851319.jpg

IMG_20181017_103804995.jpg

One suggestion I would make is maybe don't stay at the Real Palacio. Its quite good value but we wish we had stayed somewhere more deserving of a 5 star rating. 

Dinner tonight was at Prado in Alfama. Boy, was it good. Small tasting courses to share, excellent quality and some unusual but delicious combinations. Meant to take photos but got too chatty with the couple on the next table so using the phone seemed a bit rude. Had the best squid in the history of squid! Would thoroughly recommend. 

12 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Why, in the mobilization of this digital world, did they eliminate the app?  

According to the bug threads it is supposedly incompatible, although one guru says it can be made to work, but probably too much work with all the new features.

OK. It's 10.30 and we get kicked out of the hotel at 11. The Whisper is docked about 10 min away by taxi. The question is will we get on board immediately if we arrive at 11.15? We've arrived before noon a couple of times but I don't think we were ever this early. Soon find out. 

No problem boarding after finding one of the few taxi drivers in Lisbon who didn't know how to get us to the cruise terminal. Hmmph. 

Nice lunch in Terrazza, a margarita at the pool deck bar and a couple of glasses of the Monopole in the suit. Hic. 

Meet and Mingle at 7pm which is awkward timing. We hoped to fall into the MDR when it opens and get an early night in preparation for 13 days of doing nothing. 

A few old faces amongst the crew. 

Using the standard WiFi which seems OK. The ship looks well, the suite is as expected and we've already had too much to drink. Who could complain? 

Edited by Tothesunset
Typos.
  • Like 1

Where are you docked, TTS? In the older docks out by the bridge (Alcantara), or in the newer area close to Praca do Comercio?

Enjoy the down time. I found the standard wi-fi adequate for most purposes but it does block some photo-sharing software sites. So I could only post cell phone shots on my last live review.

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

No problem boarding after finding one of the few taxi drivers in Lisbon who didn't know how to get us to the cruise terminal. Hmmph. 

Nice lunch in Terrazza, a margarita at the pool deck bar and a couple of glasses of the Monopole in the suit. Hic. 

Meet and Mingle at 7pm which is awkward timing. We hoped to fall into the MDR when it opens and get an early night in preparation for 13 days of doing nothing. 

A few old faces amongst the crew. 

Using the standard WiFi which seems OK. The ship looks well, the suite is as expected and we've already had too much to drink. Who could complain? 

Sounds perfect.

She’s at Santa Apolonia, although is on her way to Casablanca soon. 

I use Marine traffic live app to check location - very useful when cruising to see which pier we’re actually at and assess walkability to whatever is nearby. 

Edited by jollyjones