Does this seem like a plan?

PandaBear62

I am taking my mother on a cruise next summer. We leave out of Amsterdam (Holland America cruise line). We wll spend a few days in France prior to the cruise and a few days after in Germany (total of 15 days).

I am looking at insurance for our trip. My priority is primary medical and evacuation. 

I purchased airfare yesterday with miles and took the insurance (have 10 days to cancel). It basically covers getting back our air miles and fees paid (I think it was $60 for both). Also has some basic coverage for trip delays, etc and secondary medical (25K) but not for pre-existing conditions. 

I found a plan through Travel Safe that gives 100K primary medical and waives pre-existing conditions, as well as a million dollars in evacuation fees, basically to nearest hospital but possibly home. (Medical Repatriation: If the local attending Legally Qualified Physician and the Program Medical Advisor determine that it is Medically Necessary for You to return to Your primary place of residence because of an unforeseen Sickness or Injury which is acute or life-threatening, the Transportation Expense incurred will be paid for Your return to Your primary place of residence or to a Hospital or medical facility closest to Your primary place of place of residence capable of providing continued treatment via one of the following methods of transportation, as approved, in writing, by the Program Medical Advisor)

The fee for this for the both of us is $401, which I think is reasonable, especially given our ages (82 and 56). It does not include fees for refunding our trip if we cancel before we leave (and after the final payment is due). But the insurance through the airline covers the airfare and honestly, if something that serious occurs that we have to cancel our trip, I can afford to cover the $3500 in cruise fees and probably $500 in train fares. Everything else (hotels, etc) I can cancel without cost.

The company United States Fire Insurance Company and would be purchased through Squaremouth (unless I can find another similar policy in the next day or so)

Am i missing anything? Any suggestions for me?

Thanks

Personally, I would go with the comprehensive policy rather than the one through the air carrier.  It will cost more, but the coverage is much better IMO, including the pre-existing condition waiver if purchased within the required time period (varies by policy).

You are right to be using one of the travel insurance broker sites to shop around.  Besides Squaremouth, there is also insuremytrip.com and tripinsurancestore.com.    Pricing for the policies (if you do an apples to apples comparison) should be the same through any of these brokers.  You can also call them (or use the online chat function) if you have any specific questions.

Enjoy your cruise with your Mom!

I'd also suggest getting more comprehensive coverage.

We get our policies through

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

and they offer a variety of policies from several vetted insurers (meaning... they have a history of paying without quibbling).

We've had great experiences with Travel Insured, purchased through TIS, "unfortunately".  The "unfortunately" is because we've had several claims, including two large claims, and TI paid them all *promptly*, and that's what counts!

GC