Marella Discovery 2 return flights from Montego Bay

I am on a Marella Discovery cruise that ends in Montego Bay. we dock at 7.00am so experience tells me that we will disembark at around 10.00am latest.  Our return flight is at 6.30pm.

I'm a bit worried about our luggage as I have visions of having to haul it around the town till the pick up for the airport. Has anyone any experience of this please? If so what did you do?

Thanks

As above.

Unless different from all other Marella ships, you will need to vacate your cabin by 0800 so they can prepare it for newly arriving passengers, but are free to use the rest of the ship and facilities until your airport transfer departs.

So for a 6.30pm flight you will probably leave the ship at about 3.30pm.  Hold luggage will be taken from outside your cabin during the night straight to the airport and onto the plane (assuming you are on a TUI flight to the UK).

There are some trip options that go from the ship in the morning and take you to the airport at the end, book on board only.

A similar question but regarding the Explorer for the homeward bound flight from Barbados 

What happens to luggage when you put it outside of your room on the night before disembarking the ship?  Do you have to colour code label your suitcases and find them on the dockside to load into the coach for the airport transfer or are they taken straight from the ship to the airport and loaded straight into the TUI aircraft ?

I went into our local Tui office yesterday and they explained to me that the luggage is left outside your cabin on the last night and its collected (as per any other cruise) and if you are flying back home on a Tui flight, it's taken to the airport and you see it again at the home airport. I have to admit, this has put my mind at rest. Hope it helps.

We have done the Transatlantic repositioning cruise 4 times - 3 on Dream and our last on Discovery 2 but each time in April returning to the Med

The sea every time except this April was like a mill pond most days and not at all rough and only one rainy day. However this April it was quite rough for a couple of days from the Azores to Cadiz with a force 9 easterly gale (unusual as the wind has been behind us previously) made  worse by having to travel at 22 knots 

Can't comment on the cruise out to the Caribbean in winter sorry

Hi vitalsign thanks for that but our local Tui are telling me it's $35 each at the airport because it is our departure point!! Apparently they take US dollars or UK pound but not Scottish pound but it must be cash it's very confusing! On our E ticket it does state on errata at bottom $35 exit fee each so I'm totally confused. Apparently next year Marella are incorporating any exit fees within the price of the cruise.

I have never paid an exit fee at Montego Bay airport after 4 cruises on Dream since 2010  At the airport you are fast tracked through a separate entrance and classed as passing through The only reason I can think that it says there is an exit fee on your  eticket is it's on everyone's ticket so that those doing a cruise and stay or just holidaying there, when it is payable,  are notified. Its the same as the info saying you have 5kg hand luggage but in fact as a cruiser you have 7kg

Thomson Spirit           Oct 2005  Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh  

Thomson Celebration   Jan 2007  Red Sea Magic 

Ocean Village             Feb 2008  Western Caribbean & Central America 

Ocean Village             Aug 2008  Eastern Med 

Ocean Village 2          Feb 2009  Eastern Caribbean  

Ocean Village             Mar 2010  Eastern Caribbean 

Thomson Dream         Feb 2011  Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration  Aug 2011  Eastern Med  

Thomson Celebration  Apr 2012  Red Sea Magic  

Thomson Celebration  Apr/May 2012  Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream         Feb 2013  EasternCaribbean  

Thomson Majesty     Nov/Dec 2014  Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream          Jan/Feb 2015  Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba  

Thomson Dream         Apr 2015  Transatlantic Sunset 

Thomson MajestyJune 2015  Hellenic Classics 

Thomson Celebration   Sept 2015  Adriatic Affair

Thomson DreamJan 2016  Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson DreamApril 2016  Atlantic Adventure

Thomson DreamJune 2016  Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson CelebrationJan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson DreamApril2017  Atlantic Daydream

Thomson SpiritJune 2017 Classical Greece

Thomson Majesty         Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

Marella Celebration         Jan 2018  Caribbean Gems/Coral Islands

Marella Discovery 2         April 2018 Cuban Fusion

MarellaDiscovery 2          April 2018 Atlantic Discoveries

Marella Dream                 May 2018 Spanish Delights

Marella Discovery 2June 2018 Aegean Meze

Marella DreamSept 2018 Mediterranean Medley

Marella Celebration          April 2019 Caribbean Dreams

Marella Celebration          April/May 2019 Atlantic Quest

Marella Discovery 2June 2019 Adriatic Explorer

Edited by Vitalsign
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, gibmonkey55 said:

I am on a Marella Discovery cruise that ends in Montego Bay. we dock at 7.00am so experience tells me that we will disembark at around 10.00am latest.  Our return flight is at 6.30pm.

I'm a bit worried about our luggage as I have visions of having to haul it around the town till the pick up for the airport. Has anyone any experience of this please? If so what did you do?

Thanks

Your hold luggage will be gone after you leave it outside your cabin the night before you leave so you will only have hand luggage with you on your last day which can be stored in a secure place on board before the coach comes to the port to pick you up for the airport You will be told where this secure place is with your disembarkation info 2 days before you leave the ship

On 10/18/2018 at 12:56 AM, Brummijam said:

A similar question but regarding the Explorer for the homeward bound flight from Barbados 

What happens to luggage when you put it outside of your room on the night before disembarking the ship?  Do you have to colour code label your suitcases and find them on the dockside to load into the coach for the airport transfer or are they taken straight from the ship to the airport and loaded straight into the TUI aircraft ?

You will get an envelope with your luggage tags the day before disembarkation. Just attach to your cases before you put them outside your cabin door

Edited by Bill1954

You also need to be forward thinking as to what you dont want/cant take back in hand luggage because you cant wake and slip anything into your hold luggage as its gone...  Might sound sad but preload a toothbrush with paste for morning and pack the tube, decant a small quantity of shower gel or shampoo whatever and pack the main tubes. Biggest challenge is clothing for overnight, next day (damp swimwear maybe), travel and Brrrrrrrritish weather! Of course if you are a man this is all a breeze...........:) 

(Vitalsign I am not sure if i am jealous/in awe or incredulous at your cruise list unless you work on the ships!  Do you have a land aversion / no home or a will of steel when faced with all the food and drink on these cruises!!! lolllll plus you missed my first cruise in 2016/17 and are not on my next as i would love to meet you 🙂 )

Newbiewaves - I am completely hooked since my first cruise on Spirit (and I loved Ocean Village and was sad to see the ships go to Australia). 

I only eat 2 meals a day - brunch and dinner unless we are off the ship early and I then have breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. Don't eat burgers or any of the other 'junk food' so although I'm drinking more alcohol than I do at home I get more exercise so luckily never have put weight on (even on a 3 week cruise)

I'm seriously considering cruising as my retirement home as at the moment it would probably work out cheaper 😎🛳🍷🍽