Wheelchairs

kimcruiser

Hello there. I'm going on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Nassau and Coco Cay and I wont be able to walk the whole way down the piers in those places. I can walk I just cannot walk long distances. Is there anyway to rent a wheelchair on the ship that I could take off to the islands or is there something there that would give me a ride to the end of the pier and vice versa when I'm ready to come back to the ship? I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Coco Cay is a private island and a tender port.  No long pier there.  At times in Nassau I have seen a trolley or a van taking people from the welcome center back to the ships, but not always.  You might ask on the Ports of Call board for the Bahamas.  EM

any wheelchairs on board are for emergency use only, not to be used in any port.    bring your own.  either by renting from special needs at sea or scootaround, or by renting locally and traveling with it.

WC assistance is available  to board at the beginning of the cruise, and at the end of the cruise to disembark.  

there may or may not be assistance available in ports to get to the end of the pier.   but don't forget it may still be a long walk to get to wherever you want to go from the end of the pier as well.

the private islands you CAN, however,  get a beach accessible wheelchair FCFS.  

On 10/17/2018 at 4:57 PM, broberts said:

Cruise lines do not rent wheelchairs. One can rent wheelchairs or scooters from https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ or https://www.scootaround.com/mobility-rentals/cruise. Typically these companies will deliver the item to your cabin and pick it up at the end of the cruise.

We are just off Norwegian Jewel, I had to rent a wheelchair from NCL after a couple of days, you have to pay for the chair for the whole of the cruise, it was $340 for 16 days, it did have special needs at sea logo on it but was rented to us by the ship. We were able to take it ashore.

5 hours ago, ozscotart said:

We are just off Norwegian Jewel, I had to rent a wheelchair from NCL after a couple of days, you have to pay for the chair for the whole of the cruise, it was $340 for 16 days, it did have special needs at sea logo on it but was rented to us by the ship. We were able to take it ashore.

Most ships have wheelchairs for use on an emergency basis.  Since you requested one a couple of days into the cruise, and they happened to have one available, you were fortunate.  If they have rented or lent out all of the wheelchairs reserved for emergency use (or not picked up by the rental company), you would not have been able to get one.  Reserving one prior to the cruise is the way to go, if you know that you will need one.