Which Cruise or Cruisline for folks in their late 50's? Dancing

papa deuce

I have been on one cruise, about 7 years ago. My wife was on that cruise with me, and she also went on one back in the 1980's ( the ship was the one for Love Boat ).

Anyway, we want to stay in the Caribbean. We want a nice quiet cruise, with little to no kids.... but we want nice night time activities, particularly a place to dance - to 1960's - 1990's music if possible. Thoughts? Does such a cruise exist?

Thank you very much.

not  sure you can have both

Most cruise lines  do not have much dancing  or even music from those decades

for nice quiet cruises   we like Oceania ..not many kids if any onboard

enjoy

Time of year plays a big part in whether there will be lots of kids aboard.  We only sail during the school year (minus spring break weeks), and see few children.

Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, and Princess have some live music and sometimes a DJ, not necessarily every night in every venue, but usually a house band somewhere for several sets.

11 hours ago, papa deuce said:

I have been on one cruise, about 7 years ago. My wife was on that cruise with me, and she also went on one back in the 1980's ( the ship was the one for Love Boat ).

Anyway, we want to stay in the Caribbean. We want a nice quiet cruise, with little to no kids.... but we want nice night time activities, particularly a place to dance - to 1960's - 1990's music if possible. Thoughts? Does such a cruise exist?

Thank you very much.

Back in the 1980's, most filming for the Love Boat was completed on Pacific Princess, so that was probably the ship DW sailed on previously.

For a quiet cruise, with no kids, suggest you check out Viking Ocean, which at 18+ have No kids. They have a nightclub, but the music will normally vary depending on pax interest/demographics.

The most common complaint we hear from dancers on ships (we have been on over 60 different ships) is the lack of a decent dance floor.  The next problem is the music or lack thereof.  The best dance floor we have seen on the seas is in the "Ballroom" of the Queen Mary 2.  This expansive floor can easily hold 100 couples and sometimes gets near that many when they have one of their Balls.  The new Princess Royal Class ships use their large atrium for dancing and its actually an OK venue because of its size.  Those ships will usually have 2 bands and its hit or miss as to how good they are at pumping out decent dance music.  On our most recent Regal Princess cruise (3 weeks ago) one of the bands was excellent and played mostly 60s and 70s music with a fair number of real ballroom dancers.    Most cruise lines have cut-back on their live music which is a shame.  But many ships have something akin to a disco where one can dance away until the wee hours..although they might find that they are about the only dancers in the room.  One of the biggest jokes on cruises is when the Cruise Director reminds the audience (after the later main show in the theater) that "the disco is open for your dancing pleasure."

Hank

Just off Island Princess (about 2200 pax). The Zinger Quartet offered music in the Wheelhouse Bar most evenings (they got one night off in the 22 days we were there). Often, there were as many as 15 couples on the dance floor. They indicated that they would be taking a break in a couple of months and then return to Princess for 9 months (I believe they said Royal Princess). Regal Princess also has a good dance floor.

Jim

We were on the Royal Princess last month. They had bands playing in the atrium most nights with lots of couples dancing. They held dance classes there in the afternoons. My brother and his wife like Royal Caribbean. They're big ballroom dancers. They time their cruises to when there aren't as many children. (They're on a cruise to Canada/New England right now.)

Edited by geoherb

You have been given a huge amount of misinformation. Many of the suggestions have very limited Caribbean sailings and/or are grossly overpriced (which does mean no kids) and/or just drunken flailing.

Hlitner is half right. Many ships have dance floors which are comparable to QM2 (which can hold maybe 40 couples, if they all know what they are doing). But music, if any, is almost uniformly atrocious. Corporate Entertainment and Cruise Directors cater to drunks and couch potatoes, not dancers.

There are a few possibles, but to make a recommendation would require a lot more specific details- budget, schedule, specific dances.

Dancer Bob has a point. We typically sail on longer cruises where there are many people eager to dance. On our last sailing, the most popular group for dancing was transferred from the larger dance lounge to the small atrium performance area because some passenger complained that the music was too loud and they couldn't sleep at 9PM.  They were replaced by a sleepy duo who played soft and sweet listening music.  Wasted dance floor.

Another problem was on the Getaway. They have a fantastic dance floor in the main dining room. Very few people eat AND dance. 

Some cruiselines use some of the best lounges for dancing for their nighttime game shows. You just never know until you get onboard, but so many cruisers just like to sit and watch other people dance.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, papa deuce said:

Thank you very much.

It sounds like you would love Holland America with the B.B. King’s Blues Club.  There are also very few children, if any.  You will need to check the link for which ships have B.B. King’s because not all of them do.  Come over to the Holland America Board if you think you might be interested or need to ask some questions.  

We found plenty of dancing on Princess & Celebrity, typically with music of 60s-today. (we are early to mid-50s). 

I'd say RCCL...BUT Mariner did not have this while Allure did.