Are jackets really required for men?

Mimi34711

15 hours ago, Mimi34711 said:

Haven't been on a cruise in several years. Things had been getting more casual. Question: are jackets truly required for men on more formal nights? I think my men are kind of over that. I know we can do to alternate venues but it is fun to eat in the dining rooms on these special nights. 6 weeks.  yay

No....nope....nadddaaaaaaa!!!

14 hours ago, dog said:

Did this change since May 5/18?

I saw 2 men turned away from the dining room on the Sapphire Princess on the May 5/18 cruise out of Southampton. They were both told they must have a suit jacket on formal night.

Can you direct me to the change in dress code?

There could have been many other reasons they were turned away besides not having a jacket.....sometimes my DH wears a suit jacket and sometimes he does not and he has never been turned away on formal night....seems like the majority on CC know that "no jacket" will still get you in.

58 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

There could have been many other reasons they were turned away besides not having a jacket.....sometimes my DH wears a suit jacket and sometimes he does not and he has never been turned away on formal night....seems like the majority on CC know that "no jacket" will still get you in.

Could be that possibly they went to the AT DR & were supposed to be at traditional ??:classic_unsure:

Just because someone was standing in line & went elsewhere doesn't mean they were "turned away". 

I gave up wearing the jacket 15 years ago on Princess & have never been "turned away". It makes packing so much easier plus it's so much more comfortable not having to wear one. 

5 hours ago, shepp said:

So what makes it a "special night?" Just the lobster tail?

Or maybe the fact that most people dress up nicely for it? If that's some of its specialness to you, why not contribute to that instead of enjoying other people's outfits while dressing down yourselves?

Not gonna happen.  Why don't they dress down so they can contribute to my enjoyment of evening? Why does it always have to be about them?

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

In these cases I was right next to them and heard the staff say they needed a jacket.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Asked and answered so let us see how many posts this one will go to. Last one was at least 7 pages of opinions that did nothing to change the way things are. But then who cares.

right hook followed by an upper cut  Image result for punch emoji

it seems like if your agenda is to have every one "dress up" then you post that you see most all men wearing either a tux or suit and tie, so new posters would think - well, I have to also do that

on the other hand - like myself - others post that a "nice" pair of slacks and a dress or even polo shirt is OK for formal night

has anyone ever seen a woman turned away from the mdr on formal night?

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

it seems like if your agenda is to have every one "dress up" then you post that you see most all men wearing either a tux or suit and tie, so new posters would think - well, I have to also do that

on the other hand - like myself - others post that a "nice" pair of slacks and a dress or even polo shirt is OK for formal night

it's a conspiracy  :classic_rolleyes:

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Think about this - if everyone dresses casually on formal nights they will no longer be special. What makes them special is that many people make the effort to dress elegantly. If people don't make the effort then the cruise lines will use that as another excuse to cut back on the luxury menu items like lobster, pheasant, beef wellington.

I dont think we could ever classify cruise ship lobster as a luxury item.

Not going to start either a conspiracy theory or be confrontational but as DH will have his dinner suit (tuxedo) with him because we are also sailing with Cunard, he will be wearing it.

Personally I love to see people dressed up. I think it adds a certain something to the ambience on the ship.

It seems to be at the whim of the Head Waiter.

On a fairly recent Princess Cruise (sorry, can't remember which one) my husband walked into the dining room with a dress shirt w/ tie and dress pants.  The head waiter pulled him aside, took the jacket off a waiter and tried to put it on my husband.  My husband is almost 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds.  You can imagine how well that jacket fit.  He could only get it part way on one arm.  He was humiliated.

Yes, he should have had his own jacket, I suppose.  But this was uncalled for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

Not gonna happen.  Why don't they dress down so they can contribute to my enjoyment of evening? Why does it always have to be about them?

According to some posters then they would be serving hot dogs & pizza in the DR as a main course. 

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

That'll never happen no matter what they're wearing. They can simply throw a scarf around anything & call it formal.

49 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Not going to start either a conspiracy theory or be confrontational but as DH will have his dinner suit (tuxedo) with him because we are also sailing with Cunard, he will be wearing it.

Personally I love to see people dressed up. I think it adds a certain something to the ambience on the ship.

good  safe call .   imho, I can't see packing a tux or sport coat for a short cruise.  however anything longer than 14 days + with three or more formal nights  ... pack a jacket & tie. 

Edited by c-boy

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

It seems to be at the whim of the Head Waiter.

On a fairly recent Princess Cruise (sorry, can't remember which one) my husband walked into the dining room with a dress shirt w/ tie and dress pants.  The head waiter pulled him aside, took the jacket off a waiter and tried to put it on my husband.  My husband is almost 6 feet tall and weighs about 200 pounds.  You can imagine how well that jacket fit.  He could only get it part way on one arm.  He was humiliated.

Yes, he should have had his own jacket, I suppose.  But this was uncalled for.

Yes, I have seen this happen too---guy could not fit into waiter's jacket, so they had him carry it on his arm and put it on the back of his chair. Yes, it is uncalled for.

Nver saw a woman turned away.

26 minutes ago, shepp said:

You're right, of course. Nothing makes an occasion seem special like a bunch of guys in Dockers, gaudy Hawaiian shirts, and baseball caps. Nothing.

Just how anyone does else's dress affect your enjoyment of your meal?

Just ignore them & eat. Why let it get you upset? There's nothing you can do about it anyway. 

• Like 3

Sapphire Princess, Sept. 8-22, Baltics

Some couples were very dressed in long gowns and tuxes. More were like my husband and me.  I wore black slacks and fancy top and he wore dark khakis and pressed button down shirt, no jacket. We had no problem being seated. I did feel sorry for folks who got all dressed up for the two lobster nights. It was clearly boiled and barely so. It was the worst lobster I have ever tasted on land or sea.

5 hours ago, dog said:

Yes, I have seen this happen too---guy could not fit into waiter's jacket, so they had him carry it on his arm and put it on the back of his chair. Yes, it is uncalled for.

Nver saw a woman turned away.

I asked the maitre'd one time and he said that women can wear about anything.  I have seen a number of women on formal night in a black pants and a top with some sparkles glued on and flip flops again with some decoration.  So when will women start following the rules.  

• Like 1

I have certainly seen numerous men turned away without dark jackets and tie on formal nights - have also seen those dining without even a tie - it looks like it is a case of you are taking a chance of potential embarrassment at dining room entrance  but then may well be admitted if head waiters are lenient. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

According to some posters then they would be serving hot dogs & pizza in the DR as a main course. 

Don't give them ideas! They've already replaced the always-available beef medallions with burgers! :classic_ohmy::classic_sad:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

13 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I asked the maitre'd one time and he said that women can wear about anything.  I have seen a number of women on formal night in a black pants and a top with some sparkles glued on and flip flops again with some decoration.  So when will women start following the rules.  

NEVER.