Are jackets really required for men?

Mimi34711

On 10/17/2018 at 2:16 PM, jennybenny said:

91212ECC-84F4-4FDF-AD96-DC0CAEB608F9.jpeg

I have never owned a cocktail dress or evening gown.  I do wear black slacks with a black sparkly top and black blazer/jacket.  I used to wear black heels with the slacks, but my knees have dictated that I wear black flats instead.  Hubby has a black suit but the jacket usually ends up over the back of his chair.

• Like 1

I'm one of those in silky slacks, fancy top, black flats.  I'm dressier than what I wear on a smart casual night but certainly not formal.  I take long cruises, use a 26" suitcase and want to keep it simple.  I'm not following it to the letter but overall what people wear not a huge concern to me.  

Reading CruisinMinnie's post, a few years back I got a heel of my shoe caught in a long skirt hem, nearly took a dive down the stairs.  Fortunately 2 men were on the stairs ahead of me, saved my fall, since then slacks and flats.  Years ago, (80's) I went the full route, shoes, purses, long dresses, traveled with 2 suitcases, been there done that, no more.

Edited by susancruzs
addition
  • Like 1

My husband wears a guayabera(Mexican wedding shirt) on formal nights. That sort of shirt is not worn with a jacket. Since it seems that it's up to the headwaiter to decide if jackets are required, can anyone give me specific info on this for the Coral Princess??

The cruise line requests that gentlemen wear jackets on formal nights.  You can probably get into the MDR on a Formal Night not wearing one.  It is easier to comply with what the cruise line requests generally.  Some people prefer not to do what is asked of them.  

Regards John

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riffatsea said:

My husband wears a guayabera(Mexican wedding shirt) on formal nights. That sort of shirt is not worn with a jacket. Since it seems that it's up to the headwaiter to decide if jackets are required, can anyone give me specific info on this for the Coral Princess??

Many cruise lines have a longer version of what is required on a Formal Night.  After the Tuxedo, Dark Suit etc. there is often a special notice about formal "National Dress" which is also permitted.  This would include such issues as men wearing kilts and I suspect a Mexican wedding shirt without a jacket would be an example and therefore permissible.   The dress code, in my opinion, is about respect for the others: you would not turn up at a wedding wearing a boiler suit and high visibility workwear for example.  This does not show respect and people therefore do not do this.  An Indian would wear significantly different clothing etc.

Regards John

I was the original question asking cruiser. I appreciate all your comments but would love to close the discussion now. I have my answers.

I've tried to find a way to close this but cannot. Does anyone know? If so, please let me know and I'm happy to remove the post.

Mimi

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, john watson said:

The cruise line requests that gentlemen wear jackets on formal nights.  You can probably get into the MDR on a Formal Night not wearing one.  It is easier to comply with what the cruise line requests generally.  Some people prefer not to do what is asked of them.  

Regards John

Exactly it is a REQUEST. It is harder to put on a suit and tie with all the accompaniments than to wear a long sleeve shirt, tie and nice pants. I can put them all on in just a matter of a few minutes. It takes that long to properly tie a tie for the tux. Some people prefer to do what the venue permits them to do.

Edited by Potstech

23 minutes ago, Mimi34711 said:

I was the original question asking cruiser. I appreciate all your comments but would love to close the discussion now. I have my answers.

I've tried to find a way to close this but cannot. Does anyone know? If so, please let me know and I'm happy to remove the post.

Mimi

Sorry to say this but you can come back in about 4 weeks and it will most likely still be going on. Clothing discussions are one of the longest most contentious items on here.  Maybe with the new layout the moderators will finally put dress codes into a sticky and stop them. Not likely but one can hope.  Enjoy your cruise.

I wear a nice long-sleeved dress shirt, and black linen pants on formal night to the mdr

I also wear black echo sandals ( my dress sandals ) and would have a major problem with Princess if I was turned away for the sandals...MAJOR PROBLEM

On 10/18/2018 at 9:43 AM, Potstech said:

Asked and answered so let us see how many posts this one will go to. Last one was at least 7 pages of opinions that did nothing to change the way things are. But then who cares.

Answered, yes. Different answers, yes. Does that mean the answer is “maybe”?

2 hours ago, CruisinMinnie said:

I have never owned a cocktail dress or evening gown.  I do wear black slacks with a black sparkly top and black blazer/jacket.  I used to wear black heels with the slacks, but my knees have dictated that I wear black flats instead.  Hubby has a black suit but the jacket usually ends up over the back of his chair.

Understood.  I had previously mentioned my husband does not wear his tuxedo jacket for long, and someone asked if the policy had changed. It hasn't, and I posted it, but I was expressing that we have never been turned away without a jacket.  I have seen women in regular dresses or nice pants (non "formal") on formal night in the MDR. It seems that the men are more closely policed by the cruise line.  My family likes to dress up, and what others wear do not detract from our enjoyment of our dinner.  I usually change out of my formal attire after dinner into something more conformable anyway 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

And they also tell people that at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks is all that's really required. No one is demanding that you follow any particular dress code.

It's no wonder that people can get confused. They're trying to satisfy everyone's desires without going full casual all the time like all the other cruise lines have done.

I choose the more casual approach. 

8 hours ago, Mimi34711 said:

Mimi

what did ya decide Mimi?  inquiring minds wanna know.   :classic_laugh:

- - -

. .

- - -

. . 

by all means pull the thread. And have a great cruise 

I was asked what my travel group decided. My 92-year-old dad is bringing his sports jacket, a little different from when he would bring and wear his tux. My hubby and brother are going jacketless. This is the first time without a jacket for the hubster but we live in Florida where everything is casual all the time. But he always looks nice so I don't think he'll be turned away. Happy sailing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johnsuttoncoldfield said:

I have certainly seen numerous men turned away without dark jackets and tie on formal nights - have also seen those dining without even a tie - it looks like it is a case of you are taking a chance of potential embarrassment at dining room entrance  but then may well be admitted if head waiters are lenient. 

I’ve never seen this. I wear a medium color sports coat and no tie. It’s just not a problem. One cruise I didn’t even wear a sports coat. Again, no problem. 

If I recall, it actually says "Suggested Dress" not "Required Dress"

On our last cruise on Pacific Princess,my husband wore a suit, one of our tablemates wore an open collar shirt.

It didn't ruin our dinner.  In fact, we had wonderful evenings together.  The lobster tails on any ship are not worth getting dressed up for.  🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, catsdinner said:

If I recall, it actually says "Suggested Dress" not "Required Dress"

On our last cruise on Pacific Princess,my husband wore a suit, one of our tablemates wore an open collar shirt.

It didn't ruin our dinner.  In fact, we had wonderful evenings together.  The lobster tails on any ship are not worth getting dressed up for.  🙂

I don't doubt it but it surprises me since I've read how formal the Pacific Princess is compared to all the other ships.

It's still nice to know that they've relaxed their dress code to that of the rest of the fleet. 

33 minutes ago, abqmommyof4 said:

According  to a  recent review of the ISLAND,  the  dress code was being enforced.  No jacket on formal night  no service,,  just as  an FYI

I sort of doubt that report. Can you give us a link to that report?

According to cruise critic....

"Island Princess Dress Code

During the day, anything goes, although beachwear is not allowed in the restaurants without a cover-up. On most nights, recommended evening dress is smart casual -- an open-neck shirt and trousers for men and a dress, skirt ensemble or trouser suit for women. Cruises of five nights or longer include at least one formal dining night, while cruises of seven to 13 nights have two formal evenings.

Although Princess asks that passengers observe the dress code, particularly in the main dining rooms, we saw many people flouting the rules. Men, in particular, turned up in short sleeve, open-neck checked shirts, casual trousers and sneakers. Generally speaking, ladies were better turned-out; while less than a handful wore evening gowns, most turned up in cocktail dresses or elegant trouser suits. Staff seemed to turn a blind eye to any dress code infractions."

Edited by floridalover5623