Need help with choosing Travel Insurance for cruising from Australia to NZ.

Hi all, I am trying to decide in a good travel insurance company, with the least amount of hidden clause's ( if thats even possible). Please tell me about your Travel Insurance experiences if travelling / cruising from Australia to New Zealand.

Thank you

Edited by LockwoodGrace

While I have not had to make a claim and that is the only real way you can judge, for quite a while now I have been using InsureandGo. Age is not a problem and you can get cover for pre-existing conditions. I have found their prices quite acceptable. 

We had used our CC insurance for many years without issues but as the policies have now changed towards pre-existing conditions, we have an Annual policy with NRMA insurance. 

Most important is read the PDS and make sure you are covered for what you need and want, it is no use having insurance that will not cover you for your requirements.

NRMA - Covermore. Zurich is the underwriter.    I use that now.  Credit Card travel insurance is not available to me these days due to Allianz declining my application for cover due to pre existing conditions (Ticker.):classic_ninja:

Edited by NSWP

Another one for InsureandGo, and as Sinbad mentioned above discount codes are easily found. I picked up 20% off.  Also, they have specific cruise insurance.  I don't trust insurance companies when a travel policy is silent in a particular (but extremely popular) activity.  Way too easy for them to get out of a claim.  

21 minutes ago, Mulgagirl said:

Another one for InsureandGo, and as Sinbad mentioned above discount codes are easily found. I picked up 20% off.  Also, they have specific cruise insurance.  I don't trust insurance companies when a travel policy is silent in a particular (but extremely popular) activity.  Way too easy for them to get out of a claim.  

Remembered that code:  Groupon20

With the travel Insurance on NCL you get a 100% refund if you meet certain criteria such as major illness, death in the family, etc.  There is also a “cancel for any reason” clause where you get a 70% credit for a future cruise. Medical insurance is included although I’m not sure how extensive the coverage.

We usually do not take such insurance however because of some other family members medical conditions we decided to spend the extra $500.  Wow, it hurts.

I have been reading the pds statements that come with most insurance policies and was surprised to notice that they don't cover you if you have had any alcohol in your system when an incident occurs. I don't drink a lot ...maybe 3 max per night...seems a bit rough if they don't cover you after a few drinks. I can understand not providing cover if you are completely intoxicated and incapacitated.

Anyone had experience in this area?

Good idea to always read the pds statement, so there are no surprises.  Take note of general exclusions, as well as particular exclusions.  

I use Insure and Go also, but haven't had to claim, when insurance companies demonstrate how good their policy is.  

Edited by MMDown Under

I suppose it depends on what your claim is  and concerning having alcohol in the system. Most claims on insurance like a lost bag at the airport, or missed flight or a medical claim are unlikely to have the alcohol exemption put in place, unless the incident occurred due to being intoxicated (i.e fell over drunk and broke your arm). I suppose you just need to be careful and or possibly suffer the consequences.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:06 PM, By The Bay said:

I suppose I have never known this clause was in place. I have been on 3 cruises so far...maybe I should start reading all the fine print!

It seems that insure and go is very popular.

Has anyone used Holiday rescue travel insurance?

I've just taken insurance for upcoming cruise from Auckland to Sydney with insure and go.  Previously I have used the complementary credit card insurance with westpac, ANZ. CBA.  Since changing underwriters they will not cover my pre existing conditions.   I am still trying to get cover but in the meantime paid for the NZ trip as we booked only 2 nights ago and sail in a month.   I am still trying to get insurance through my c card for cruise next year Japan to Alaska, have requested they review their decision to refuse me cover.

Insure and go was $150 for 15 days silver cruise cover and my pre exisitngs.

If you get a quote from them put in the discount code groupon20 for 20% off the base rate.

Just did an on line quote for Tick as saw mention of them here.

Same underwriters as insure and go. $100 instead of 150 but added bonus is 2000 car hire excess cover which wasn't included with insure and go.  I might cancel and take the tick policy as we have an overnight in tauranga so might consider hiring a car and going to rotorua as no rush to get back to the ship.  Only concern would be having to leave the car overnight near the port.  Any suggestions?   I know someone on cc is from tauranga but I cant remember who 

Thanks for any info you can give me.

I had used Insure and Go previously, with car hire excess cover, and was surprised to see this cover wasn't included this time.  I compared Tick with Insure and Go, knowing they had the same underwriter, but went with Insure and Go for my cruise because it was an Explorer Cruise.  

You really do need to compare the PDS.