MSC Cruises to enter luxury cruise sector with order for four 'ultra-luxury' ships

Smurf2017

A big larger and more high density than newbuilds we have recently seen from Silversea, Seabourn, and Regent, but none the less new competition in this segment.  I found the Yacht Club on SEASIDE to be an overall great experience, at a great value.  It will be interesting to see how it translates to a full ship experience, especially in regards to pricing.  Hopefully they add some focus on cuisine which I felt wasn’t to the standards of a luxury line. 

58 minutes ago, dexddd said:

So this is in addition to the 17 they said were coming from 2017 forward.  I still haven't seen much info on those 17 ships - size, where they'll go, sailing dates.  Anyone have any links to details?

2017 Meraviglia - sailings on MSC website

2017 Seaside - sailings on MSC website

2018 Seaview - sailings on MSC website

2019 Bellissima - sailings on MSC website

2019 Grandiosa - sailings on MSC website

2020 Virtuosa

2021 Project Seaside EVO I

2022 World Class I

2023 Project Seaside EVO II

2023 Luxury Class I

2023 Meraviglia-plus-class III

2024 Luxury Class II

2024 World Class II

2025 Luxury Class III

2025 World Class III

2026 Luxury Class IV

2026 World Class IV

(source: Wikipedia)

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

If Yacht Club (MSC) vs. Haven (NCL) is a thing, does this new class take aim at Regent Seven Seas (NCLH)?

I think that EVERYONE is going after the luxury market and trying not to let Viking "own" the segment with their fleet of brand new ships.

Maybe they know something more about the global economy than we do?!

It's CRAZY when you consider the number of newbuilds by Viking, Silversea, Regent, Ritz Carlton, Crystal, Ponant, Seabourn and now MSC along with Celebrity launching their Suite Class with their gargantuan suites.

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't even know what to say about Celebrity Flora. It's basically a 100 passenger yacht. :classic_blink:

The prices are ..... interesting. I checked for September of 2019 .... a 7 night cruise for two is about $18 500 USD  Cruise Only ... without ANY airfare/transfers or hotel accommodations.

I don't know if you've checked the Celebrity website for their Iconic Suites on Edge ....  $38 500 USD for 7 nights, cruise only.

MSC can only look at these numbers and get excited .....

4 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I don't know if you've checked the Celebrity website for their Iconic Suites on Edge ....  $38 500 USD for 7 nights, cruise only.

The week that I was considering Edge, I checked the Iconic suite out of curiosity....$46,000 for the 4 of us. A few months later, it was "only" $41K. Maybe I should jump on that $38.5K since it's such a great deal, lol

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The week that I was considering Edge, I checked the Iconic suite out of curiosity....$46,000 for the 4 of us. A few months later, it was "only" $41K. Maybe I should jump on that $38.5K since it's such a great deal, lol

Have you checked Groupon?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, SirWolf said:

2017 Meraviglia - sailings on MSC website

2017 Seaside - sailings on MSC website

2018 Seaview - sailings on MSC website

2019 Bellissima - sailings on MSC website

2019 Grandiosa - sailings on MSC website

2020 Virtuosa

2021 Project Seaside EVO I

2022 World Class I

2023 Project Seaside EVO II

2023 Luxury Class I

2023 Meraviglia-plus-class III

2024 Luxury Class II

2024 World Class II

2025 Luxury Class III

2025 World Class III

2026 Luxury Class IV

2026 World Class IV

(source: Wikipedia)

Excellent - thanks.

22 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I think that EVERYONE is going after the luxury market and trying not to let Viking "own" the segment with their fleet of brand new ships.

Maybe they know something more about the global economy than we do?!

It's CRAZY when you consider the number of newbuilds by Viking, Silversea, Regent, Ritz Carlton, Crystal, Ponant, Seabourn and now MSC along with Celebrity launching their Suite Class with their gargantuan suites.

And Virgin Voyages -- wow; there really are a lot of luxury cruise lines out there.