Royal Genie Question

jenn6743

Hi All,

I know this has been ask before, but I can’t figure out the new search function on here. How much contact should I expect from our Genie before we cruise. I’m horrible about checking my email. I was also wondering what things to ask for before we sail and while we are on the ship. 

‘Thanks,

Jennifer

14 minutes ago, jenn6743 said:

Hi All,

I know this has been ask before, but I can’t figure out the new search function on here. How much contact should I expect from our Genie before we cruise. I’m horrible about checking my email. I was also wondering what things to ask for before we sail and while we are on the ship. 

‘Thanks,

Jennifer

They usually send a questionnaire during the week before the cruise.  I would ask for Coastal Kitchen and specialty restaurant reservations.

What to ask your Genie depends upon what you plan on doing during the cruise.  If you are planning any special events like parties in your suite or special meals in your suite, it's not a bad idea to mention that to the Genie as early as possible so that they know what's coming.  Of course, you can always plan a party during the week but the more time they have to consider what you want, the better your results will be.  3 times we have hosted the CC cabin crawls on our Star Class cruises and those take a fair amount of coordination.  If you don't plan on doing any parties it will probably not be that important.

I've had Genies who have taken the initiative and made specialty dining reservations for us ahead of time (with the ability to change whatever you need/want to, of course) and I've had Genies who wait until you're onboard to ask what specialty dining you want if you haven't asked already.  While the Genies have a lot of "pull" in making things happen for their guests, they cannot make tables/seats available at specialty restaurants where there aren't any, so, as with any specialty dining, the sooner you make those choices, the better - especially later in the week, as the most popular dining times will fill up.

Personally, I've found the questionnaires to be a complete waste of time but some enjoy answering those inane questions.  You will have to determine how you feel about it once you get the questionnaire.  The Genie will contact you directly about a week prior to your cruise and provide you with a "Loop" IM app.  This is fairly useless as well (IMO) as they do not receive those messages on their phones but rather, must be at their computers to get them.  I have found that email works just as well and once you're onboard, they will provide you with their personal phone number and calling them is, by far, the fastest and easiest way to get them when you need them.

It might be helpful for you to know that your Genie will almost certainly give everyone in your suite a small "token" gift.  We have gotten a gift from our Genie on every Star Class cruise we have been on (even ones where we have the same Genie we have had in the past) so if you are so inclined, you may want to think of some small gift to give him or her.  I felt very awkward the first time we received a Genie gift and I had nothing to give him.  I made sure that never happened again.  I am not talking about a tip here...that was something completely separate, for us.

Be prepared for lots of interruptions - particularly on your first day.  For good or bad, Star Class guests are very popular.  Your phone will ring and you will have people coming to the door constantly bringing or retrieving one thing or another.  I guess this is the "down" side of extra personalized service.  As others have mentioned in other threads, if you want to be left alone, let the Genie know and he/she will do their best to minimize your interruptions.  The less service you request, the fewer interruptions, I suppose.

We brought back our Genie something from each port.  On the Canada/NE itinerary this included cannolis from Boston and doughnuts in Portland.  Then in Bar Harbor we got a live lobster cardboard box and packed inside a small lobster magnet and bottled water (for realistic weight).  The look on his face when we gave that box to him!

The Genies and Cabin Attendant do a great job.  They decorated the room for a birthday with a towel birthday cake and treats.  The Genie gave each of us a card an a small gift as well.

Thanks Y'all....It sounds like we are going to be so spoiled when we get on the ship... and thanks for giving me a heads up on the level of contact to expect. Maybe I should start watching my email a little closer because we cruise in 2 weeks. 

We received the survey about 8 weeks out as well. We are about 3 weeks out now, and our Genie just contacted us to discuss dining reservations and a few other things I noted on the survey (Birthday party we want to host in our suite and a cabana on Labadee). We went back and forth on the dining reservations for a bit as we nailed down the times and restaurants we want, she has been pretty attentive so far. 

We are cruising in November.  We got the survey about two weeks ago.  Last week I got the first email from our Genie.  We have been emailing back and forth.  Can't wait until Nov. 11th.  So far everything is going well.

MadamG2U