Livorno to Florence - Best way to do it on your own?

SomersetCruiser999

14 minutes ago, SomersetCruiser999 said:

Hi Folks,

just wondered if anyone had any first hand recommendations on whether to go to Florence from Livorno by train or bus transfer (victor/tuscanybus) and pros and cons for both. Thanks in anticipation.

If you can get six people, the best is to get a taxi from the port.  That works out reasonably priced and we have found the taxi drivers to be very helpful.

If you fancy the train it is also very easy.

Azamara normally moor approximately 5 minutes by foot from the bottom of the main street, Via Grande. Buy a bus ticket at the newsagents on the right hand side at the bottom, board the bus to the station outside the newsagent - look for the Linea Bleu (blue line) which will drop you off outside the station, which is where the bus terminates. Remember to validate the ticket on the bus, and again the train ticket on the platform before you board the train. Do this both ways.

On arrival at Florence as you leave the station you the are only a short walk from the main tourist sights which are visible and obvious.

Reverse your route for the return.

Good luck and enjoy Florence.

• Like 1

I found Florence is not very easy to do it on your own from Livorno unless you are willing to go by taxi. For us the ships excursion works well, which is as a matter of fact called “Florence on your own”. During the drive to Florence, which takes at least 90 minutes, the guide will tell you many things  about Florence and other small cities you will be passing by. Once in Florence you will have some time on your own and then again the convenience of being taken back to the ship without risks.

Florence is a fascinating city, full von tourists and there are so many things to do and see that one day is not enough. I guess we like the ships excursion because we make the most out of that day without having to worry about finding our way to the city.

if you have time and eat beef, maybe you would like to try a Bistecca a la Florentina for lunch. One portion is big enough for two. 

We caught the train because it was an overnight in Liverpool and we wanted to stay late in Florence. It was very easy - we taxied to the station, bought a ticket, a rail worker showed us how to validate it, then on to a clean, comfortable train with great views for less than an hour I think? Train station in Florence is right near all the must sees. We would do it that way again in a heartbeat.

I have found that the bus and train route, as described by others is the cheapest and best way to do Florence on your own.  You can come back when you want rather than having to hang around for the ship's tour bus.  Check the Trenitalia web site before you go to print off the train timetables.  The bus journey to the station takes about 20 minutes and buses run about every 10 - 15 minutes.  Buy two bus tickets ( one for the return journey) that saves you time when you arrived back at Livorno station, as often the bus back to Piazza Grande is waiting.  Further information can usually be found on  Cruise Critic  Ports of Call threads.

• 5 months later...

Question about the ships ‘Independent Exploration in Florence’. I was hoping for easy transportation to the areas near the gallery’s and it does seem to provide that, but as I look again it seem like there is a stop for shopping at a Florentine Leather Factory.  I don’t want to spend our time shopping.  Does anyone know if this stop is somewhere, I could easily walk to the Piazza della Signoria?  I have OBC that I need to spend vs. another method to get into the city.

46 minutes ago, kayakcove said:

Question about the ships ‘Independent Exploration in Florence’. I was hoping for easy transportation to the areas near the gallery’s and it does seem to provide that, but as I look again it seem like there is a stop for shopping at a Florentine Leather Factory.  I don’t want to spend our time shopping.  Does anyone know if this stop is somewhere, I could easily walk to the Piazza della Signoria?  I have OBC that I need to spend vs. another method to get into the city.

We were on the Pisa and Florence “On Your Own” tour.

The leather factory we visited was in a neighbourhood close to the Piazza. With a certain amount of determination you can ditch the tour and walk to areas you wish to explore.

I’m certain you already know that it’s best to buy tickets for the Ufizzi and Academia before you leave home.

3 hours ago, nordski said:

I’m certain you already know that it’s best to buy tickets for the Ufizzi and Academia before you leave home.

I'll go one further and suggest that it is imperative that you reserve your entry times for these galleries ahead of time. Otherwise you will waste an hour or more waiting line to get in. We were in Florence March 15-17 (not on a cruise), and the lines were really long for those without reservations. During peak tourism season, I would imagine the wait could be much longer.

We are going on the July, 27 Pursuit cruise, with an overnight in Livorno. We will be skipping Florence since we were able to visit it in March. We will go to Pisa, Lucca, and maybe the Carrara marble quarry tour (need to spend some OBC) instead. Florence is a wonderful place to visit. I'd go back.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:21 PM, English Tim said:

We rented a car and drove ourselves, parking at a supermarket (closed on Sunday), then took the tram.

Good to see a post from you.  Hope you and Rosie are well.  Are you coming back to Azamara ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nordski said:

We were on the Pisa and Florence “On Your Own” tour.

The leather factory we visited was in a neighbourhood close to the Piazza. With a certain amount of determination you can ditch the tour and walk to areas you wish to explore.

I was online ready to get the reserved tickets when I looked again at the tour description. Do you recall what times you got in and left. Also would be part of that determination, being getting information on where to meet for the return? Would it be possible to do both, if I had the booked tickets?

2 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Good to see a post from you.  Hope you and Rosie are well.  Are you coming back to Azamara ?

We are both fine thanks, but have had to abort on cruise and cancel two others due to ill health.

We still switch about showing absolutely no loyalty, but always look to include Azamara Journey in our plans.

Even though we currently have a much larger travel budget than in the past, we still look for value for money first. Unusually we have only one cruise booked, a river cruise!

Nice to hear from you.

1 hour ago, kayakcove said:

I was online ready to get the reserved tickets when I looked again at the tour description. Do you recall what times you got in and left. Also would be part of that determination, being getting information on where to meet for the return? Would it be possible to do both, if I had the booked tickets?

We went to Pisa first and then Florence. My wife had never seen the leaning tower so it was a priority to her.

If it is only Florence you are visiting, and personally I think that's a good decision, I believe it's about an hour long bus ride. They will probably take a side trip to the park that overlooks the city and its Cathedral. Whether they will do that at the start or finish I don't know. We were there at the end of the tour.

You should be able to visit both museums with relative ease. The drop off/pick up point was close to a park with a large Church that I don't know the name of. That seemed to be a common collection point for a number of tours as there is bus parking on a thoroughfare a few blocks away. 

If, indeed, that is the spot, then I would start with The Academia since it is furthest away. The distance is walk-able but you could choose to save time and energy by using a taxi and then strolling back to The Uffizi. That route will take you past the Cathedral and along a pedestrian-only street with lots of shopping.  

If I were to prioritize, I would emphasize visiting The Uffizi and its Botticellis. But others will disagree. At that location you are near the Ponte Vecchio,  and if money is no object you can buy a gold trinket as a souvenir. That eliminates the need to go on the leather factory tour :). 

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, nordski said:

We went to Pisa first and then Florence. My wife had never seen the leaning tower so it was a priority to her.

If it is only Florence you are visiting, and personally I think that's a good decision, I believe it's about an hour long bus ride. They will probably take a side trip to the park that overlooks the city and its Cathedral. Whether they will do that at the start or finish I don't know. We were there at the end of the tour.

You should be able to visit both museums with relative ease. The drop off/pick up point was close to a park with a large Church that I don't know the name of. That seemed to be a common collection point for a number of tours as there is bus parking on a thoroughfare a few blocks away. 

If, indeed, that is the spot, then I would start with The Academia since it is furthest away. The distance is walk-able but you could choose to save time and energy by using a taxi and then strolling back to The Uffizi. That route will take you past the Cathedral and along a pedestrian-only street with lots of shopping.  

If I were to prioritize, I would emphasize visiting The Uffizi and its Botticellis. But others will disagree. At that location you are near the Ponte Vecchio,  and if money is no object you can buy a gold trinket as a souvenir. That eliminates the need to go on the leather factory tour :). 

Hope this helps.

Checking on Google Maps, I’m reasonably certain that our meeting spot was Piazza San Remigio. The leather shop we were supposed to visit was nearby.

If not that Piazza, then one close to it.

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hey Tim, sorry to hear about the ill health and wish you and Rosie the best. 

Phil 

Thanks Phil, hopefully we are both now fine and have several trips booked including two river cruises.

• Like 1

I enjoy exploring on my own. I have taken the ship's "On Your Own" tour more than once, using on board credit and find the six hours or so in Florence a good length of time to take in new sights each visit.

The Leather Factory "tour" is also a much needed "comfort stop" available both at the end of the drive to Florence and prior to leaving for the return to the ship. Also usually a bottle of water is provided at this stop.

As has been mentioned, the trains are clean & comfortable. On one occasion I joined a fellow cruiser to spend the day in Lucca. As a result of that trip, I would be comfortable doing either Florence, Pisa or Lucca on my own by train if I had no OBC.

The most difficult part of our Lucca trip was getting a taxi to take us to the train station. No problem on the return.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, SomersetCruiser999 said:

Hi Folks,

just wondered if anyone had any first hand recommendations on whether to go to Florence from Livorno by train or bus transfer (victor/tuscanybus) and pros and cons for both. Thanks in anticipation.

Somebody else may have mentioned this already but it is a really easy train journey to Florence.  You can either take a short walk to beyond the town square and take a bus or take a taxi to the station.  We bussed there and taxied back.  Cannot the remember the cost as it was two years ago.  Have a great time.