Which specialty dining restaurant on Ruby next month?

Dreamer333

Which one should we try?

It appears that our options are:

• Crown Grill
  • The Salty Dog Gastropub
  • SHARE by Curtis Stone
  • Crab Shack

My husband and I have eaten at the Crown Grill many times and LOVE it, but I've never tried the other. 

Opinions are welcome!

6 minutes ago, Dreamer333 said:

Which one should we try?

It appears that our options are:

• Crown Grill
  • The Salty Dog Gastropub
  • SHARE by Curtis Stone
  • Crab Shack

My husband and I have eaten at the Crown Grill many times and LOVE it, but I've never tried the other. 

Opinions are welcome!

You already know the Crown Grill

SHARE has a new menu and new price, $29/pp. Look at the menu in the cruise personlizer. I didn't like the original menu and price, but we may give the new one a try next cruise.

Crab Shack isn't really a restaurant. Very casual. It's set up in a section of the buffet seating area, and they only have it a few times a cruise. Once on board there will be tables in the Horizon Ct. where you can see the menu and sign up. It's basically buckets of shell fish.

Salty Dog - It's big  burgers in the Wheelhouse Bar at high tables. For me the burgers they serve for free at the Trident Grill on deck satisfy my burger requirements.

We really like SHARE, adults and kids included.  We've actually gone out of our way to book a cruise on the Ruby just to go to SHARE.  We do enjoy going to Specialty restaurants and usually book at least 2 per cruise, or more if on a longer cruise.  We haven't tried the crab shack, not interested in it.  We've done Salty Dog (adults) when it was more expensive and you got an extra shareable item (not quite big enough to be called an entree). Salty Dog is OK, and if it were available for lunch, I'd be happy to pay for it, but I'd rather eat in the MDR. Crown Grill and SHARE are our go to's on the Ruby.

Edited by jennybenny

Look at the menus on-line.  I personally could not find anything that appealed to me on the Share menu -- I do not find Curtis Stone's creations edible, he is simply looking for "new" and "creative."   I don't want my steak as offered by Share, on a "sunchoke" (whatever the heck that is) puree with leeks.

I do much better with steak and "normal" sides, which I get at the Crown Grill.  There, I get to experiment with different salts.

We are on the Ruby Princess in December.  We will dine in both Crown Grill and SHARE--between the two of them, 3 or 4 nights of the 7-day cruise.

I think the only dining experience that beats SHARE on any Princess ship is the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast.

I have never seen SHARE very crowded.  So, our experience is that service has always been top notch.  (I emphasized "our experience" because I am aware of at least one report from a trusted source where the service was unacceptable,)  We, also, love the SHARE menu.

I like red meat.  So, I am always happy to visit Crown Grill.  Mrs. XBGuy also enjoys that venue because she just loves the Mussel Pot entree.  Service in Crown Grill ranges from excellent to barely acceptable.  Problems that we have encountered in Crown Grill are usually attributed to headwaiters who do not understand that they are in the hospitality business or large groups that seem to dominate servers' attention.

We are "one and done" with both Salty Dog (did not care for the menu) and Crab Shack (horrible service and not impressed with the food).  I feel bad about this comment because I know that many people really like these venues.  So, feel free to ignore my comments.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

We (family of 6 adults and 1 toddler) were on the Ruby Princess the first week in July.  DH and I are frequent Princess cruisers (elite) and everyone else was on their first Princess cruise. DH and I think that our meal at SHARE was the best we have ever had on Princess and that includes 3 Chef's Tables (food and wine were excellent but too much in 3 courses with no choices) and 1 Winemaker's Dinner (again excellent food and wine but it was also 3 courses and no choice if I remember correctly). SHARE is 6 courses - obviously not monstrously large helpings - and you chose from 3 or 4 offerings in each course. With such a large group we were able to taste almost every dish and since we all had the premium beverage package we purchased two bottles of excellent wines at a 25% discount. We are all still talking about the dinner!

Our last couple of meals at the Crown Grill (on the Royal and Crown Princesses) can be best described as meh.  Normally we try each specialty restaurant on longer than 1 week cruises.

Edited by capriccio

Our last cruise was on the Ruby.  Share was a surprisingly good experience.  The food was excellent and the service was outstanding (mostly because not too many people wanted to try it out).  Crown Grill was relatively good as always.  Not too impressed with the Salty Dog.  Only $12 charge since they hardly give you any food.  We left hungry.  Didn't try the Crab Shack.

I just got off the Ruby today. I tried Share last cruise and didn't like it at all. This week we sat with some people at dinner who tried Share and also didn't care for it. They had to lower the price from $39 to $29 just to get people to try it so what does that tell you?

All the cabins had the cabin locks replaced with the ***** box where the mail used to be. You still had the old cruise key card which scanned to open the door. Papers were slipped under the door since there are no mail boxes. I wonder how long that will last with the room steward having to bend several times a day to do this for everything from Spa to effy and art auctions adverts. 

3 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I just got off the Ruby today. I tried Share last cruise and didn't like it at all. This week we sat with some people at dinner who tried Share and also didn't care for it. They had to lower the price from $39 to $29 just to get people to try it so what does that tell you?

All the cabins had the cabin locks replaced with the ***** box where the mail used to be. You still had the old cruise key card which scanned to open the door. Papers were slipped under the door since there are no mail boxes. I wonder how long that will last with the room steward having to bend several times a day to do this for everything from Spa to effy and art auctions adverts. 

Thanks for the update. Was this Ruby's first cruise after dry dock? I'm curious to know what other changes you noticed?

4 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I had to look up sunchoke:  A sunchoke is a tuber, like a potato, and is often prepared and eaten as a root vegetable.Light brown and bumpy on the outside and white inside, the sunchoke looks somewhat like a small potato or ginger root.

Sunchokes are excellent!

On 10/18/2018 at 2:46 PM, capriccio said:

We (family of 6 adults and 1 toddler) were on the Ruby Princess the first week in July.  DH and I are frequent Princess cruisers (elite) and everyone else was on their first Princess cruise. DH and I think that our meal at SHARE was the best we have ever had on Princess and that includes 3 Chef's Tables (food and wine were excellent but too much in 3 courses with no choices) and 1 Winemaker's Dinner (again excellent food and wine but it was also 3 courses and no choice if I remember correctly). SHARE is 6 courses - obviously not monstrously large helpings - and you chose from 3 or 4 offerings in each course. With such a large group we were able to taste almost every dish and since we all had the premium beverage package we purchased two bottles of excellent wines at a 25% discount. We are all still talking about the dinner!

Our last couple of meals at the Crown Grill (on the Royal and Crown Princesses) can be best described as meh.  Normally we try each specialty restaurant on longer than 1 week cruises.

We felt the same way about Share and ate there twice.  That was with the old menu and higher price too.  I wish they would have continued the restaurant on the other ships.