Holland America Line Raises Gratuities for 2019

LAFFNVEGAS

Another year, another fee increase on the high seas. Even as the cruise lines offer up specials for 2019 during #ChooseCruise Month, Holland America Line is quietly raising its daily gratuity charge by $1 per person, per day.

Early last week I heard about HAL raising their gratuities but that happened while the CC boards were down so figured I would wait to see if anyone posted this information. Since I did not see it thought I would pass it on.

Although it seems that Cruise Critic did post it on their site October 9th.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=266

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Holland-America-Line-Raises-Gratuities-for-2019

I have no problem with the increase since it is still lower than many of the other lines, what is frustrating and to others I speak with is that HAL is the only cruise line that does not allow to pre pay or allow you to lock in the cost. For 2 people it is not bad on a 7 day cruise but for a family of 4 or possibly of a Grand parent is paying for the whole family this can be quite an increase. Even Princess their sister line will lock in the price and allow you to pre pay.

I received a email from my PCC a couple of weeks ago for our month cruise for 2020!

we follow with Oceania Cruise line to The Med and gratuities are higher than HAL but to me everything has gone up over the years. I’d love to prepay gratuities ahead of time!

smooth sailing 

Denise😊

22 minutes ago, Himself said:

I remember  when there was nothing deducted. Tips were up yo the passengers.

But sadly many passengers didn't leave a tip.

I can remember when we were sitting in the dining room the last evening of the cruise and all the wait staff, chefs, etc. gathered on the stairs to sing Farewell.  Many people jumped up and left the dining room.  One time when our waiters returned to our area, they were sadden to see so many people gone.

SAD!!

I have no problem with the increase and the auto pay of gratuities on our sail accounts. This means you do not have to spend your last day on the cruise hitting ATM machines to find cash to put into  envelopes. On one of first cruises I remember talking to a couple who complained about leaving tips because they said they hadn't budgeted the cost. Sadly too many passengers  seem to have no problem stiffing the hard working and underpaid crew members who make cruising so much fun. If you cant afford the extra $2 per day per couple or $14 per 7 day cruise, then you shouldn't be cruising for your vacation.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I prefer to think of the extra cruises that I can go on because of the money I have saved withholding tips from those who have chosen to do there job.

Be sure and inform your steward and waitstaff that you enjoy their services so much that you're withholding tips so you can see more often.  I'm sure they will truly appreciate the additional opportunities to serve you as well.  You should so inform the staff on your first encounter with them.  Be sure to inform their supervisors too.   Perhaps you should wear a t-shirt or ball cap that says:

"Save Money, Cruise More Often, Remove Tips."

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 8

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Be sure and inform your steward and waitstaff that you enjoy their services so much that you're withholding tips so you can see more often.  I'm sure they will truly appreciate the additional opportunities to serve you as well.  You should so inform the staff on your first encounter with them.  Be sure to inform their supervisors too.   Perhaps you should wear a t-shirt or ball cap that says:

👍 

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Great post, I can not believe the cheapskates that now think they do not have to tip. I bet they also stiff their waiters in restaurants because the tip was not included in the price of the meal.  :classic_angry:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, igraf said:

In the past, Holland America had an official "no tipping" policy, so I don't know what they are talking about when mentioning the days when we used to tip.

I started sailing on HAL in 1978, and even back that far HAL DID NOT have a 'no tipping' policy.
What they did have was 'no tipping required', which is not at all the same thing. Even then, tipping was customary, and the main source of income for stewards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, igraf said:

...  In the past, Holland America had an official "no tipping" policy, so I don't know what they are talking about when mentioning the days when we used to tip.

igraf

40 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I started sailing on HAL in 1978, and even back that far HAL DID NOT have a 'no tipping' policy.
What they did have was 'no tipping required', which is not at all the same thing. Even then, tipping was customary, and the main source of income for stewards.

Right you are, RuthC ... always nice to have a few facts to balance out opinions!!!  Thanks!!!

Edited by avian777

I have no problem with mandatory gratuities, but those reserving a cruise before the tips are increased should not have to pay the increase. I booked a Holland cruise to Alaska next May just before the increase was announced. We are a family of four in a suite so this is a $28 increase. Not a large amount, however, there is a principle of full disclosure to the consumer on pricing at stake.

I called Holland on this issue. They did not have a response for whether the practice is deceptive in advertising one price for a cruise and then charge another price for the cruise due to changes after the booking. They simply indicated they had not raised gratuities in a while (not true), and they had no provision for grandfathering passengers who already booked a reservation. Just seems a deceptive way to do business. Ironically, this is our first cruise on Holland. We were fleeing the "nickel and dime" fee incremental increases on NCL. Not a great first impression. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Sorry, Ruth, but if HAL had a written (and prominently advertised) policy of "no tipping required" then that is a no tipping policy.  They are advertising that any passenger should be able to cruise with them and not feel uncomfortable about not tipping as service is included in the price.

Again, it is not my responsibility to pay a steward's base salary.  That is up to the employer. 

igraf

41 minutes ago, igraf said:

Sorry, Ruth, but if HAL had a written (and prominently advertised) policy of "no tipping required" then that is a no tipping policy.  They are advertising that any passenger should be able to cruise with them and not feel uncomfortable about not tipping as service is included in the price.

Again, it is not my responsibility to pay a steward's base salary.  That is up to the employer. 

I agree with you.  I believe it was pushed more as discretionary with suggested tip amounts.  I don't remember any of the major lines saying "no tipping required."   

Edited by Aquahound

1 hour ago, mistertoaster said:

I have no problem with mandatory gratuities, but those reserving a cruise before the tips are increased should not have to pay the increase. I booked a Holland cruise to Alaska next May just before the increase was announced. We are a family of four in a suite so this is a $28 increase. Not a large amount, however, there is a principle of full disclosure to the consumer on pricing at stake.

If $28 more for a cruise costing $1500 or more is a that  big of a financial issue, then perhaps you should not be on a cruise. Cut your bar bill by that much and you are even. Come on folks we are only talking about $1 per day per person, the way some you feel, you would think the gratuities had doubled.