20% off Upgrade Classic to Premium where's the savings?

webecruzin2

Just received an offer on our upcoming cruise to upgrade our Classic beverage package to Premium for 20% off, but when I go in to price it the upgrade would cost $13.22 per day pp which is basically the difference between if I had originally purchased the Premium package at $69.00 instead of the Classic at $55.00.  What am I missing here?

And btw how do I change my signature on here

Edited by webecruzin2

I think the full price upgrade is $14 a day plus gratuity.  I see a savings there myself with your quote.  Do the math, take $14, take away 20%, add in 18% Grats...there's your figure.  $13.22

Edited by PTC DAWG

Yes, it is there...

Would you care to expand on your thinking about this, so we can follow along?

bon voyage

btw you can edit your signature and most other things related to your postings and profiles through account settings.

Edited by Bo1953

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Not to take over, but I was wondering if the upgrade to Premium actually makes sense?  We did one of those Go Better offers, so the Classic package was included.  And we have a large amount of OBC.  I figured we'd just pay the difference between the Classic limit and the price of any drinks we ordered over that amount.  Does anyone else have any experience with doing this?

Thanks!

I thought that if you had the classic package you pay the full price of any drink over the price limit.  But if you have the premium package you only pay the difference. 

So unless that has changed and it's pay the difference for the classic package now, then you could wind up spending a lot of your OBC on drinks.

19 minutes ago, sbt518 said:

I thought that if you had the classic package you pay the full price of any drink over the price limit.  But if you have the premium package you only pay the difference. 

So unless that has changed and it's pay the difference for the classic package now, then you could wind up spending a lot of your OBC on drinks.

This has changed. You only pay the difference now.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Thanks!

Your way makes perfect sense to me. You'd have to drink a combination of 4 or 5 fancier cocktails, top shelf booze, nicer wine, extras special coffee and  sparkling water a day to break even with the upgrade. 

That said, we have the classic alcohol package and on board credit for our next cruise. I swore I'd never upgrade again after our last experience. But never is a long time. The classic package is really pretty inclusive, but I like sparkling water, which isn't included in the classic package and I like to have a fancy cocktail in the afternoon (the French Caribbean Sunset is gorgeous and tasty) or maybe a martini from the martini bar. What can I say? I'm a sucker, love the worry free, no bar tab at the end of our cruise. I used the OBC for excursions and bought the upgrade when it was on  sale. 

4 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

Your way makes perfect sense to me. You'd have to drink a combination of 4 or 5 fancier cocktails, top shelf booze, nicer wine, extras special coffee and  sparkling water a day to break even with the upgrade. 

That said, we have the classic alcohol package and on board credit for our next cruise. I swore I'd never upgrade again after our last experience. But never is a long time. The classic package is really pretty inclusive, but I like sparkling water, which isn't included in the classic package and I like to have a fancy cocktail in the afternoon (the French Caribbean Sunset is gorgeous and tasty) or maybe a martini from the martini bar. What can I say? I'm a sucker, love the worry free, no bar tab at the end of our cruise. I used the OBC for excursions and bought the upgrade when it was on  sale. 

Oh.  I am a fiend for sparkling water, that could be a deal breaker in convincing me to upgrade.  Our cruise is 6 weeks away, though... not sure there will be a sale by then.  Especially since Black Friday is the day before we embark.  Too late.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Oh.  I am a fiend for sparkling water, that could be a deal breaker in convincing me to upgrade.  Our cruise is 6 weeks away, though... not sure there will be a sale by then.  Especially since Black Friday is the day before we embark.  Too late.

Thanks!

To be clear, you'd be able to get club soda, AKA seltzer, but not premium sparkling spring water. My husband doesn't drink alcohol, so he downgrades his classic alcohol package for the premium non-alcohol package because of the water. I upgrade for the water and fancier cocktails. 

If there are no sales, you can upgrade anytime during your cruise up until the last three days. If you decide to upgrade, purchase from your favorite bartender so he will get the credit for the sale.

3 hours ago, Marelaine said:

To be clear, you'd be able to get club soda, AKA seltzer, but not premium sparkling spring water. My husband doesn't drink alcohol, so he downgrades his classic alcohol package for the premium non-alcohol package because of the water. I upgrade for the water and fancier cocktails. 

If there are no sales, you can upgrade anytime during your cruise up until the last three days. If you decide to upgrade, purchase from your favorite bartender so he will get the credit for the sale.

m - Actually, club soda and seltzer are two (2) different beverages. Those desiring to watch their sodium intake will opt for seltzer.

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

Ok I understand what you're trying to explain but I guess my confusion is with the adding and subtracting the gratuity.
Why can't they just post the price including the gratuity from the beginning?  I can't be the only one who's confused and frustrated by this. 

But thanks for explaining Celebrity's rational even though I'm still not convinced it's a good deal
We decided not to do it now.  We have quite a bit of OBC if we elect to do it on board, and with the Elite happy hour we may not even need it since they make great martinis and appletinis there.😊

Still working on fixing my signature. Thanks again!

15 hours ago, Marelaine said:

If you get the upgrade for $13.22 and you like to drink the martinis or wine priced at $15 it would be a $6 upcharge each drink, so only 3 drinks per day to make out better with the upgrade. Premium also includes vitamin water zero and aqua spa cafe smoothies that can help make it “worth it” to me even if I only had 2 drinks in the evening, assuming classic package was a perk. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Thanks!

If you are going to drink at least two or more of of: vitamin water zero, Red Bull, Perrier, aqua spa cafe smoothies or cafe al baccio alcoholic coffee drinks per day plus have at least 2 wines or bar drinks priced in the $14-15 range, you are better off to use your OBC to upgrade to premium as soon as you get on. Or if you have one of those fancier non alcohol drinks and 3 expensive alcohol drinks per day. Then you also won’t have to sign a slip for each drink upcharge. If you won’t manage to drink the above you will probably spend less by paying the upcharge per drink. 

8 hours ago, mackjack9139 said:

If you are going to drink at least two or more of of: vitamin water zero, Red Bull, Perrier, aqua spa cafe smoothies or cafe al baccio alcoholic coffee drinks per day plus have at least 2 wines or bar drinks priced in the $14-15 range, you are better off to use your OBC to upgrade to premium as soon as you get on. Or if you have one of those fancier non alcohol drinks and 3 expensive alcohol drinks per day. Then you also won’t have to sign a slip for each drink upcharge. If you won’t manage to drink the above you will probably spend less by paying the upcharge per drink. 

I don't do Red Bull or vitamin water zero and I can drink club soda instead of Perrier.  I'm just not sure I'll be choosing such expensive cocktails (unless any top shelf martini is going to cost at least $14?), although I have to admit the choice of bourbons and gins on the Classic aren't either my or hubby's favorites. 

I did just get an email about a sale, so I'm going to check on it.  Especially since I'll canceling the excursion we booked in the Bahamas.  It might be an even trade.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:19 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Thanks!

Haven't ever done it that way but if you have a lot of OBC and you can't think of anything else you'd use it on, like spa or dining or excursions, then I think you have a good idea to just let your OBC take care of any drink charge differences.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:19 PM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Thanks!

Why not just use your OBC to buy the upgraded package? I'd pay extra just to not have to sign slips at every bar! 

• Like 2

I called Celebrity about upgrading from the Classic, which was a free perk, to the Premium with the 20% savings. At first they were not going to do it saying that it was only for those who paid for the Classic package. At the end they did give me the discount. Upgrade without discount was $231.28. After discount it was $185.02 a savings of $46.26. I used the perk of $300 on board credit to pay for it. Happy with the results.

Took me 8 times to get through yesterday. Be prepared the person you talk to can't make any decisions. Was put on hold twice for a few minutes each time while she talked to someone else about what Celebrity would do. I was very polite and at the end my request was granted.

Edited by cruisin 07

I have found that these sale emails are targeted to certain cruises.  I did decide to upgrade to premium package. I sail on October 29.

It was stated after adding to cart that the cost shown included the 18%. My classic package is a perk