Odyssey - 18 nights Athens to Barcelona LIVE ON BOARD

galeforce9

4 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

I will stick with Seabourn if only to cash in my free cruise on the new expedition ships. 

Galeforce

Sorry to hear things aren't going so well onboard - I've really enjoyed your photos and posts - try to relax and enjoy the rest of the cruise

and if time and the mood permits share some of your experiences with us - it is appreciated

Galeforce, I thought you were having a great time (judging from your comments and great photos).  I hope things improve for you!  I know that I always tell my husband that we have to expect most any port could be missed on any cruise.  On our Baltic cruise last June, we missed a port that most everyone was looking forward to.  But then, we do enjoy sea days and I know not everyones does.  Please do keep us updated.  

I have now figured out that our friends from the Pacific NW are on the Ovation and not on your ship.  

These things happen, galling as they are.  Latest position has the Odyssey approaching Sardinia from the south, with Rome to the east.  The Ovation has just passed through the Straits of Messina heading SE towards the Balkans.

7 hours ago, oceanviewer21 said:

Who is your Captiain? We had an invisible captain on our Oddity cruise Christmas 2017 who was also really hard to understand when he made announcements. Very different from what we had experienced before on Seabourn.

Just found our passenger list it was Emillan Cygan!

On 10/28/2018 at 2:40 AM, Stickman1990 said:

Thanks for the tip - so being new to Seabourn if I request Fever Tree is that an additional cost item? It’s interesting as Fever Tree seems to be taking the world by storm - it’s even stocked in supermarkets down here in Sydney. Crystal started sticking it as standard back in January 2018 in response to guest feedback

Stickman, you can pre-order any beverage that is not on the standard complimentary list.  Simply email Seabourn Club and they'll research availability and let you know if there's a cost.  I've done this several times with Pyrat Rum at no extra charge.  You should be able to do the same with Fever Tree Tonic.

I stumbled upon a fabulous G&T with Elderflower while on Icelandair enroute to meet Crystal Serenity in July.  I enjoyed the cocktail so much that I asked for it once we were on board.  The Crystal Cove bartender produced a magnificent dupe.  This was a few months before Crystal introduced their fabulous new gin menu which features an Elderflower Fizz.  Fast forward to September while we were on Seabourn Quest and I asked for it again.  Disaster!  Not only did SB not have Fever Tree Tonic (I didn't request it beforehand) but the bartenders just couldn't get the ratios correct.  I tried it several times, in both the Club and the OB, with the same disappointing result.  So I asked for another favorite, a Jade Martini, that I had discovered on a previous Crystal cruise.  This was worse!  Neither the server nor the bartender had ever heard of a Jade Martini, so I googled it for them.  But alas, no Midori on board.  They offered a miserable substitute at which point I simply gave up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

First I should say it’s nice to “see” a familiar face over here - I recall your posts on the Crystal boards

Eeek 😟

No Mindori on board? No gin menu?

You’re making me nervous now - seems I’ll have to help educate these Seabourn bar tenders 😁

Not only do I have a new brand of Champagne to get used to but I’ve got to keep an eye on my gin concoctions 🤭

On on a more serious note - thanks for the tips and it’s good to have the heads up. We are really looking forward to our cruise on Encore and being able to make a real world comparison - I hope you’ll also join in on it as informed discussion is always welcome 

I can see Cocktails and the Bars are definitely going to have their own section in my comparison thread...

Edited by Stickman1990

A big thanks everyone for your interest in my trip and your support.  I think we drew a short straw weather-wise this holiday. 

Well here’s an update.  The wind has even surpassed my moniker over the time since we left Naples. The seas have been tumultuous, with a 6m swell.  With winds up to force 10, spray was blowing horizontally from the foaming seas.  The peaks and troughs looked like some hellish rendition of a ploughed field.  These conditions persisted throughout the last two nights and all day yesterday.  

Some people who spend a good deal of time onboard  said it was the worst conditions they’d ever seen at sea.  We’ve sailed for about 1.5 years in total, 0.5 years on Seabourn but the previous 1 year on a line that regularly went across the Bay of Biscay.  I’ve crossed the Atlantic 5 times. I hadn’t seen worse. 

When having lunch in the restaurant yesterday two waves actually hit higher than the window. 

5A45F569-B29A-40A9-AD46-D92F613AA5E1.jpeg

F2300A00-B966-4049-9B6F-E0144B0C189A.jpeg

737DF7B8-314E-4035-B2F8-2102C5930460.jpeg

2F0F0F19-FF3C-4B5B-A418-06A5BA3B4844.jpeg

AE9F8DBF-21DA-4D72-AE6F-BB80A4909CA6.jpeg

2B909F1E-DA9B-43F0-AF7B-600A9D2ABFD8.jpeg

A bit later on at lunchtime the skies became pitch black.   It was quite surreal.  The restaurant windows turned into mirrors and all lights were lit. 

This morning we sailed past Monaco, our intended port for today where we were to overnight.  We overheard the port authorities contacting the ship to speak to the cabin. The port has been damaged in the severe storm. 

So, as Isklaar has correctly called, we are anchored off Antibes.  Tenders are being readied and we are quite sheltered.  There is a hope that the Monaco port will reopen for tomorrow, although the forecast is again bad for then.  

Today is cold and clear.  It’s about 48f. 

Thanks for the update. Hope you're feeling ok.

Storm sounds very bad. I'm assuming there was no way to avoid it.I have a friend on board who is a very poor sailor (they used to post at CC too) and I'm hoping this doesn't put her off cruising. 

Yikes!  Sounds like quite the adventure.  

We are due to board Ovation in Venice in three days time (and arriving tonight with plans to take a water taxi to our hotel launch)... hopefully the weather on the eastern side is not as awful.

We are due to join Odyssey on the 21st for the transatlantic.  I had heard there was a bit more weather activity in the region than normal... hopefully we won’t have a rough crossing!

13 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

Yikes!  Sounds like quite the adventure.  

We are due to board Ovation in Venice in three days time (and arriving tonight with plans to take a water taxi to our hotel launch)... hopefully the weather on the eastern side is not as awful.

We are due to join Odyssey on the 21st for the transatlantic.  I had heard there was a bit more weather activity in the region than normal... hopefully we won’t have a rough crossing!

Hi Jenidallas

Unfortunately this was the rest of the article. 

99C66AAF-E145-4C49-A1AA-B7B7F6F0C26F.jpeg

I was talking with a friend tonight who originates from Santa Margherita. He showed me photos of the devastation to Rapallo and many boats in the harbour are damaged and buildings on land. The Road between Portofino and Santa Margherita has many sections that are destroyed. There is no road access at this stage between these two towns. 

It is very sad and I feel sorry for the people in the region. Hopefully there will be no repeats and things can be repaired soon. My friend said one thing people were thankful for was that at least they may have a chance to repair before the next busy tourist season.

Julie

I just spoke with our hotel and they took of me that yesterday was projected to be the worst day in Venice and that post-tide today things are improving.

I am completely anticipating that we’ll have a hiccup or two in our travel plans.  As we are honeymooning, I’m certain I can find other diversions if necessary!  😂

• Haha 1