Odyssey - 18 nights Athens to Barcelona LIVE ON BOARD

galeforce9

galeforce9, isn’t it great fun to sit in The Restaurant and watch the windows on port side dip under water, then starboard, then port, then starboard, back and forth, back and forth 😁  We had this experience on Quest crossing the Drake’s Passage in a 6.5 meter swell... but I would never have expexted that in the Med!

I hope you’re well and that things have improved for you. Given that in the same storm both an Azamara ship and a Celebrity ship broke line(s) while docked and drifted uncontrollably for a (short) while, perhaps it wasn’t a bad thing your Captain skipped port that day.

Floris  

2 hours ago, florisdekort said:

We had this experience on Quest crossing the Drake’s Passage in a 6.5 meter swell... but I would never have expexted that in the Med!

No, you don't.  Most people think of the Med as a placid pond but it can be a monster like the South Atlantic.  I feel sorry for everyone on board the Odyssey, especially the galley crew who have produce all that food while the ship is behaving like a cork in a waterfall.  This was our ship in the South Atlantic a few years back . . . 

DSC_0233.jpg

• Like 1

Last night we enjoyed a Thomas Keller Grill dinner followed by outdoor drinks (in the cold but wrapped up warmly) as we lay anchored off Antibes.  It was fantastic to be able to get a good night’s sleep without the cabin rocking and rolling.  The anchor was raised around 6 30am this morning.  After some careful manoeuvring, after an hour or so, we docked in Nice harbour alongside the Wind Surf, which was with us off Antibes yesterday. 

On 10/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, Isklaar said:

Thanks for the update. Hope you're feeling ok.

Storm sounds very bad. I'm assuming there was no way to avoid it.I have a friend on board who is a very poor sailor (they used to post at CC too) and I'm hoping this doesn't put her off cruising. 

Hopefully not!  The motion of the ship wasn’t too bad but the seas were indeed fierce.  I didn’t see any ill people and the restaurants and bars were as busy as ever.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fletcher said:

No, you don't.  Most people think of the Med as a placid pond but it can be a monster like the South Atlantic.  I feel sorry for everyone on board the Odyssey, especially the galley crew who have produce all that food while the ship is behaving like a cork in a waterfall.  This was our ship in the South Atlantic a few years back . . . 

DSC_0233.jpg

What an experience!  Where did you stand for that shot!!

18 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I hope you’re well and that things have improved for you. Given that in the same storm both an Azamara ship and a Celebrity ship broke line(s) while docked and drifted uncontrollably for a (short) while, perhaps it wasn’t a bad thing your Captain skipped port that day.

Floris  

I didn’t hear about that but have since looked them up, so thanks for letting us know.  

22 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I was talking with a friend tonight who originates from Santa Margherita. He showed me photos of the devastation to Rapallo and many boats in the harbour are damaged and buildings on land. The Road between Portofino and Santa Margherita has many sections that are destroyed. There is no road access at this stage between these two towns. 

It is very sad and I feel sorry for the people in the region. Hopefully there will be no repeats and things can be repaired soon. My friend said one thing people were thankful for was that at least they may have a chance to repair before the next busy tourist season.

Julie

Hi Julie.  Nice to hear from you.  The pictures of Rapallo are indeed awful.  Hopefully the worst will now be over for them and they can begin to rebuild. 

Galeforce - I was on deck 4, the wraparound deck, aboard the Island Sky, somewhere between Tristan da Cunha and the Falklands - we were scheduled to go from Tristan to South Georgia but one day short of SG the Captain gave up, said we would all die, and headed for Port Stanley. We did 9-10 days in seas like this and all passengers were forbidden to go on deck.  I'm afraid I disobeyed orders.  The things we do to get a shot.

Hope some good luck, weather-wise, finally meets up with the Odyssey.

galeforce9, has Officer visibility and engagement improved? On Quest now, the Captain, Bridge Officers, Hotel Director, Cruise Director, etc. are all at the Square every day around 10 am to have a coffee and to meet and mingle with the passengers. This morning there were at least 10 of them and we spent quite a bit of time chatting with the Captain. It’s a very nice touch and it reads like Odyssey could use something similar... 

Floris 

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 1

Another showery day.  

On a private tour today.  We’ve just visited the lovely medieval hilltop town of Les Beaux de Provence 

Unfortunately there was a huge thunderstorm when we arrived followed by torrential rain. The streets became like rivers.  We sheltered in an archway umti the worst passed, then visited the castle. 

C325C596-9D26-4CAA-89AF-E22259FC211A.jpeg

• Like 1

Les-Baux-de-Provence has a special place in our hearts as it was the very first three-star Michelin restaurant we ever went to - the Oustau de Baumaniere.  We stayed two nights and had two lunches and two dinners, including the legendary gigot d'agneau en croute.  There was an incredible trolley loaded with sorbets.  One lady diner took off all her jewellery and dipped her arm into the wine bucket to chill off.  Because we were so young and didn't arrive by Ferrari, the Maitre'D took special care of us and gave us the best table.  I also remember the chef-proprietor, Raymond Thulier, being ever so gracious to us and also feeding his cat three-star tidbits.  That was decades ago but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1