Noise in Cabins by Lifts

tring

We have always avoided cabins right by the lifts as we have been concerned that people talking loudly, or even the 'dings' from the lifts could be a problem.  Are we right in this assumption or is the soundproofing into the cabins OK.  Our main concern would be early morning as we do like to lie in at times.  Probably looking at Aurora.

We always preferred cabins near the lifts/stairs. Never had a problem with the ding of the lift or chatter from fellow passengers. Very convenient location in our view. If we can't get a cabin on the stern, we always go for proximity to the lift.  

Hello,

Whilst not the same ship, I have just returned from 2 weeks on Azura & had a cabin not too far from the lifts, D412 if you look at the deck plans.

I can honestly say that we didn't hear any noise whatsoever from the lifts.

I have to say it was very useful coming out of the lift & being in the cabin within seconds & likewise when leaving the cabin you were by the lift / stairs.

We need an accessible cabin and on most ships these are close to the lifts, however I do notice that on P&O the lift bell and floor announcements are switched off from early evening and overnight. However you sometimes do hear voices chatting outside, presumably friends going off in different directions, but saying elongated good nights, however this is infrequent and being so convenient for the lifts more than compensates for this minor inconvenience.

• Thanks 1

We had D706 on Azura in a recent cruise which is right next to the aft lifts. Noise was not a problem on our cruise, and as others have said, the convenience of being right next to them was great. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2018 at 5:11 PM, tartanexile81 said:

I was sure I replied on this board twice yesterday but my post has disappeared. Did I break any rules can anybody remember? 

I think your replies were to my other thread asking about balcony vs deluxe balcony cabins.  It is a bit further down the list of threads and I will try to give link but struggling with a tablet I cannot really use as away from home for a few days or so.  Link hopefully follows  https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2596421-balcony-vs-deluxe-balcony-on-aurora/

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, tring said:

I think your replies were to my other thread asking about balcony vs deluxe balcony cabins.  It is a bit further down the list of threads and I will try to give link but struggling with a tablet I cannot really use as away from home for a few days or so.  Link hopefully follows  https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2596421-balcony-vs-deluxe-balcony-on-aurora/

Thank you very much tring. BTW I used to live 4 miles away from Tring 

On 10/26/2018 at 5:39 PM, tartanexile81 said:

Thank you very much tring. BTW I used to live 4 miles away from Tring 

Actually I have no connection with Tring, but I am aware there is such a place in the South.  I am a scouser, living on the Wirral.  I had a lot of trouble getting CC to accept a user name of my choosing, so I was just putting in things I was more or less making up, though I did know someone from there in the past so my mind may have suggested the name without me realising the significance.  Too late to change it now as I have been around for a while with a lot of past posts.

Thanks again for all your replies.  We arrived home last night, so can use a proper computer now rather than my husband's tablet - never went for that sort of thing myself realising how easy it is to waste holidays, meal times  etc stuck into a gadget of some kind.  My mobile phone is just that and I don't keep it on all the time either.  🙂

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

I am a very light sleeper, but on all 5 cruises we have done on Aurora we have been by the lifts, due to the location of the accessible cabins. We haven't been woken by noise due to the lifts. The bathroom ventilation (always on) is very loud and, along with some wind noise from the balcony doors, we find that this combines to 'mask' any external noise. There are indeed some passengers who talk at full volume in corridors late at night, but these thoughtless types tend not to restrict their noise to the areas near the lifts!

The biggest noise problem that we had on our recent USA / Canada cruise on Aurora was from a person in the cabin directly above us, who seemed to pace up and down their cabin in a very heavy footed manner for hours on end at all hours of the day and night and crash and bang around at the same time. With the metal ceiling vibrating as this happened, it was seriously irritating. That said, you can have an inconsiderate or noisy passenger next to you or above you wherever you are on the ship. So, in summary, I wouldn't worry about a cabin near a lift on Aurora.

Have been three times in a midships balcony on Aurora very near the lifts and never heard any noise at all. Occasional dragging of chairs on the deck above when on A deck, but not enough to be more than  mildly annoying.