Cunard, QM2, Door Keys??

LambKnuckles

Are the QM2 door keys, key cards?  I apologize if this has been asked before.  I am taking my maiden voyage on the QM2 in April and have cruise Royal and Carnival before.  

I'm wanting to know if the cards are used, and if many wear lanyards to hold their cards?  I wear the bead lanyard, coordinated with my outfits or theme of the cruise, and am wondering if I should make them for this TA?  I know some ships are using bracelets or other options...  But being in the Cunard family, I'm wondering which the QM2 uses.

Any other tips or ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Yes, it's a magnetic card which you slip into the door slot. DW uses a lanyard since she doesn't always have pockets. Beware that phones or other electronic devices can erase the magnetic strip just like a hotel room key. The purser's desk will make a new one but that mean be a trek plus a short queue.

The desk will also punch the card for a lanyard - they're familiar with the necessary placement.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Thanks 1

...You may wind up standing in that line no matter what. (I had to visit almost daily, last month. Nothing near my card except my magnetic personality)

One sees far fewer lanyards on Cunard than typically seen on Carnival or Royal Caribbean, however some do wear them.

- Mark

• Like 1

Your card is more than a key card. It is also the charge card used for buying things aboard, like drinks, spa charges, gift items. And if you are on a cruise that makes port stops it is also you ID. card. The folks at the gangway will scan your card and it will have or link to the image of you taken at check in. Protect the card, keep it away from magnetic devices. 

• Thanks 1