What other cruise lines have the service level of Holland America? No wait to get back on board, cold towels, etc?

LDavis41

Are there any other cruise lines that offer the level of service that Holland America does?   I have only been on 2 cruises, both with Holland America but am planning a third, but it will be my husbands first.  When returning to the ship from a day at port, I noticed the ship on the other side of wharf had a HUGE lineup.  These customers were standing under the beating sun, without any forward movement, while our ship had no wait time whatsoever, and before we went back on board, we were presented with chilled cloths to cool down and a choice of 3 freshly flavored ice waters.  Whenever I think about booking another cruise, that insane lineup sneaks into my mind and I definitely do not want to experience that.  Are there any other cruise lines that operate like this?

Celebrity is right up there with the service that Holland has.  They also have the flavored waters and cold towels.  Wonderful food and service.  Love Celebrity!!!    As far as the long lines, it has nothing to do with the ship really.  It is a matter of timing of people returning....although there are some ships, like Royal Caribbean that have Mega ships carrying over 6000 passengers.

No cruise ship can guarantee no line when you get back on board. Generally the lines are short and move quick if you come back to the ship a long time before you sail 3 or 4 hours. Coming back 1 or 2 hours before sail away will mean the most people are trying to get back onboard. We sail more family friendly ships but most offer moist towels to wipe off with. Its not a deciding factor so I don't pay much attention to it.

Another vote for Celebrity as a alternative line but if you happy with Holland America why not go with them again.

• Like 1

OP: HAL is okay in some respects, as is Celebrity. But, cruising is one arena where "you get what you pay for." Those lines are among the best of the "mass market" cruise segment.

However, for truly outstanding service, food, ship size, etc., you need to look at the luxury or premium industry segments.

Our preferred line is the "ultra-premium" Oceania, which lives up to its reputation for "the best food at sea," has stellar service and limits its passenger load to 700 on its four smaller ships and 1100 on the two larger. The passenger demographic is generally well educated, professionally accomplished and cosmopolitan. Except for summer Med/Alaska when families with kids are present, it is primarily adults only (age 50+ though a younger average when college alumni associations are aboard their "favorite" cruise line). 

On Oceania, there are no long lines, thundering herds, prom nights, art auctions, incessant announcements, nickel-diming, annoying photographers.......

Note that, while the cabin cost for similar itineraries will be higher on Oceania than on HAL or Celebrity, the bottom line total cost for ALL associated required and optional costs will be surprisingly close, particularly if you are flying in overseas (e.g., Oceania's fare includes air tix or an air credit). Also, O has no charge for internet, specialty restaurants, beverages, et al. AND provides you a choice of complimentary alcohol, excursions or OBC.

In addition, if you use a top selling Oceania TA, you'll find that they will share their commissions with you and occasionally have "private O partner" unpublished discount fares.

If for any reason Oceania doesn't meet your needs, you could look at Azamara, which is also a premium line, and Viking Ocean, which aspires to "premium" status.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

As far as cold towels Princess does the same.  As others have said, easy embarkation with no crowds is dependent on the time. Beginning about an hour before all on board time the lines can be longer.  The same happens when numerous cruise line excursions return at the same time.  It can also be a function of ship size - the increased number of passengers on the bigger ships means more people trying to re-board at the same time.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

As far as cold towels Princess does the same.  As others have said, easy embarkation with no crowds is dependent on the time. Beginning about an hour before all on board time the lines can be longer.  The same happens when numerous cruise line excursions return at the same time.  It can also be a function of ship size - the increased number of passengers on the bigger ships means more people trying to re-board at the same time.

Ship size is significant.  Most ships have two gangways for rebounding at ports.  Naturally a ship carrying 5,000 passengers is likely to take up to four times as long to reboard as one carrying 1,200.  Additionally, a HAL ship (according to those who refer to HAL ships as floating nursing homes) will have fewer people going ashore - resulting in fewer getting back on board.

We have had cold towels and lemonade on warm days and hot chocolate on cold days when getting back on Celebrity ships. We have also had opportunities to be on the helipad, twice when leaving dock in Stockholm, Sweden and Kusadisi, Turkey, and once transiting the locks at the Panama Canal. In Stockholm they provided hot chocolate and hot mulled wine (I had to try three glasses to make sure it was worth drinking 😉) and sparkling wine leaving Kusadasi. They also have couches and chairs to rest on, plus canopies for shade, at some ports. 

I've really only had a line once. It was at the dreaded Key West port which is docked 7:30 - 1:30. So what time do you think everyone comes back at? Ship size matters too. My last few cruises were on 2000 passenger ships. Walked right on every time

8 hours ago, LDavis41 said:

Are there any other cruise lines that offer the level of service that Holland America does?   I have only been on 2 cruises, both with Holland America but am planning a third, but it will be my husbands first.  When returning to the ship from a day at port, I noticed the ship on the other side of wharf had a HUGE lineup.  These customers were standing under the beating sun, without any forward movement, while our ship had no wait time whatsoever, and before we went back on board, we were presented with chilled cloths to cool down and a choice of 3 freshly flavored ice waters.  Whenever I think about booking another cruise, that insane lineup sneaks into my mind and I definitely do not want to experience that.  Are there any other cruise lines that operate like this?

I've had the same service on Princess, Disney, and Holland America.  I think it's fairly "standard" on most major cruise lines.

As for the long lines, many things will vary how long the line is, how long the wait is and whether you're standing out in the sun or shade.

As noted, arriving significantly earlier back to the ship will engender shorter lines.  Even then, there's the possibility that the scanner onboard that they use to scan your ship's card granting you access back onboard could be down.  We've had that - line suddenly ground to a halt and stopped for over 20-30 minutes until they figured out how to fix it.

Choose a ship smaller than 2000 and you will have less lines as a matter of logistics.

We have seen lines to board HAL in port and all the lines we have sailed we have only experienced lines on the 3000+ passenger ships and I include Celebrity in this.

12 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Choosing a cruise because of a wet rag? When selecting a cruise a good 15-20 factors come up, none of them being wet towels.

I'm thinking that the OP used the cold towels story as just one example of a much broader level of the consistently superior customer service offered by HAL. 

Not as the deciding factor in choosing a cruise..😉