What other cruise lines have the service level of Holland America? No wait to get back on board, cold towels, etc?

LDavis41

13 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Choosing a cruise because of a wet rag? When selecting a cruise a good 15-20 factors come up, none of them being wet towels.

Offering cold towels and refreshments on the pier is just an indicator of good service on board.  It's an attention to detail that can make one cruise experience stand out over another. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

I'm thinking that the OP used the cold towels story as just one example of a much broader level of the consistently superior customer service offered by HAL. 

Not as the deciding factor in choosing a cruise..😉

Decent? Yes. Superior? Hardly.

This post will probably offend some of my HAL friends.  We have been fortunate to have cruised on 14 different lines and most have had service equal to what we get on HAL.  That is not a negative for HAL but simply a statement that many cruise lines have excellent service.   

Hank

KroozNut: Partly opinion and partly fact. Examine past industry studies (you can search for some of them here on CC) looking at dollars/passenger spent on food, crew and space to passenger ratios and the consistency of professional ratings from trusted sources like Condé Nast Traveler and The New York Times.

In doing so, I think you'll find that, as I said previously, HAL has a "decent" product. But, by its own admission (or lack of any self rating to the contrary, it is neither a premium nor luxury line.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

it is neither a premium nor luxury line.

I never made any claim (nor does HAL) that they are a premium or luxury line. I did state my opinion that they offer consistently superior service, and I stand by that opinion.

Can't say I've waited to get back onboard on any cruise--but we arrive an hour or 2 before departure.

Celebrity has cold towels & flavored waters when you return (as well as by the pool--LOVE that)

(BTW, Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Cunard & Oceania are all completely different price points than HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, NCL or Carnival--they are significantly more expensive, not fair to compare)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KKB said:

Can't say I've waited to get back onboard on any cruise--but we arrive an hour or 2 before departure.

Celebrity has cold towels & flavored waters when you return (as well as by the pool--LOVE that)

(BTW, Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Cunard & Oceania are all completely different price points than HAL, Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, NCL or Carnival--they are significantly more expensive, not fair to compare)

Perhaps true for the "luxury" lines but, not necessarily for the "premiums."

A common misconception of "price point" is focusing solely on the cabin cost. A better cost comparison is "net daily rate" of your cruise vacation, particularly if international airfare is in the mix. Several such comparisons have been done by CC posters including one several months ago in which the poster found a particular fly-in itinerary where all expenses for HIS preferred experience were less than a hundred dollars apart between RCI and Oceania!

Just by itself, an included (vs extra cost) $1.5 to 2k/person international airfare is a "great equalizer."  Likewise, if specialty restaurants, internet, beverages, excursions, alcohol and or OBC are your preferences, cabin cost alone is somewhat irrelevant on a mass market line.

Of course,  it's always "different strokes for different folks."' But the "bottom line" of all expected expenses (required and optional) must be taken into consideration in any comparison (and we haven't even begun to look at the quality issues).

Fortunately, many former HAL, Princess and Celebrity customers, who do incur significant travel and cabin add-on costs, have figured this out and, once they calculate the "net daily rate" (i.e.,  ALL your trip costs divided by days away from home), no longer immediately eliminate the premiums.

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps true for the "luxury" lines but, not necessarily for the "premiums."

A common misconception of "price point" is focusing solely on the cabin cost. A better cost comparison is "net daily rate" of your cruise vacation, particularly if international airfare is in the mix. Several such comparisons have been done by CC posters including one several months ago in which the poster found a particular fly-in itinerary where all expenses for HIS preferred experience were less than a hundred dollars apart between RCI and Oceania!

Just by itself, an included (vs extra cost) $1.5 to 2k/person international airfare is a "great equalizer."  Likewise, if specialty restaurants, internet, beverages, excursions, alcohol and or OBC are your preferences, cabin cost alone is somewhat irrelevant on a mass market line.

Of course,  it's always "different strokes for different folks."' But the "bottom line" of all expected expenses (required and optional) must be taken into consideration in any comparison (and we haven't even begun to look at the quality issues).

Fortunately, many former HAL, Princess and Celebrity customers, who do incur significant travel and cabin add-on costs, have figured this out and, once they calculate the "net daily rate" (i.e.,  ALL your trip costs divided by days away from home), no longer immediately eliminate the premiums.

On occasion, these higher tier lines could be comparable in price to the mainstream lines, particularly with international airfare thrown in. But I'm betting that is the exception more than the rule.

I compare via a couple large online TAs, the cruiseline's direct site & factor in airfare. 

For most Americans cruising the Caribbean (the most popular) , Alaska or MX Riviera, the upper tier lines will be vastly more expensive.

Additionally, for many people, they would find the difference in clientele off-putting. This isn't something that has ever bothered me, but my father can get very intimidated by others if he feels he is "out of their league." 

4 minutes ago, KKB said:

On occasion, these higher tier lines could be comparable in price to the mainstream lines, particularly with international airfare thrown in. But I'm betting that is the exception more than the rule.

I compare via a couple large online TAs, the cruiseline's direct site & factor in airfare. 

For most Americans cruising the Caribbean (the most popular) , Alaska or MX Riviera, the upper tier lines will be vastly more expensive.

Additionally, for many people, they would find the difference in clientele off-putting. This isn't something that has ever bothered me, but my father can get very intimidated by others if he feels he is "out of their league." 

Without actual data,  your claims of "many" and "most" would be more accurately characterized as "some"' (Americans or otherwise).  

From your response, it appears that you may be missing the point (unless you are the uncommon exception who incurs no added expenses once onboard). And, BTW, it's safe to assume that relatively few folks drive to an Alaska cruise.

That said, the occurrence of equal bottom line costs between premium and "upper" mass market will, of course, only be "now and then." 

But, if one wants a measurably better experience, s/he should do the "complete" math rather than assume premium always means more expensive.

I had to chuckle about your "off-putting clientele" comment!  If you ever try a premium line, I trust that the most common trait you'll find among a truly varied demographic population is that they all worked hard for their money and are Informed consumers who did their due diligence in comparison shopping. 

24 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I never made any claim (nor does HAL) that they are a premium or luxury line. I did state my opinion that they offer consistently superior service, and I stand by that opinion.

And I agree. Perhaps that is because I am not a "upper premium" snob. :classic_cool:

We started our cruise career in 1982 with Holland America and over a number of cruises logged over 100 sea days.  We then decided to try Celebrity and have sailed with them many times and thoroughly enjoyed our experience with them.  What we liked about Celebrity when we first sailed with them was their alternative dining room menu which had not been available on HAL.  That alternative menu has since been greatly abbreviated.  Sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam on 12/9 so we're anxious to see what the dining will be now,  Have booked 2 dinners in the Pinnacle and special dinner with Rudi.

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I had to chuckle about your "off-putting clientele" comment!  If you ever try a premium line, I trust that the most common trait you'll find among a truly varied demographic population is that they all worked hard for their money and are Informed consumers who did their due diligence in comparison shopping. 

I've had 12 cruises on Princess and Celebrity....met many nice, down-to-earth people.  My last cruise was Oceania....also met many nice down-to-earth people!  As Flatbush Flyer said, most of the Oceania passengers seemed like middle class, hard working people just like me....I'm not wealthy, but have saved well and feel that I get a good value on Oceania because of the things it provides that would cost me extra on mainstream lines. 

BTW, Celebrity and Oceania provided us with cold towels, cold water and cold lemonade (along with a couple of bench seats) under a canopy just before we boarded the ship in ports.  Very nice and appreciated touch.

22 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I totally agree. The service I have received on lines like HAL and Celebrity has been excellent. I’ve also cruised Oceania several times. It’s a decent line but to say the service is so superior is absolute BS. 

Perhaps info from an obvious shill should be taken with s grain of salt. 

On 10/20/2018 at 1:45 PM, KroozNut said:

In the middle market category, I have sailed Princess and HAL.  I don't think that there is much difference between them except that on my most recent cruise which was a Princess cruise, I did not think that the crew was as welcoming and friendly as some of the lines we have sailed on.  We have been doing much of our cruising on Azamara because we like the small ships and they provide a much better customer experience than either HAL or Princess.

DON

I'd put Princess and HAL about equal, but interestingly, better at service than Cunard in places like the buffet. Not just in getting your drinks but also in helping find an available table and even offering to carry your tray or plate to the table.

We think the entire subject of premium, luxury, ultra luxury, etc, has become corrupted in many CC threads.  One should carefully evaluate the entire "package" in terms of what you are getting for your money and the various options on different ships.  For example, MSC is a mass market cruise line which would probably compare best with a line like Carnival.  But, if one books the MSC Yacht Club on some of the newer ships that mass market ship becomes akin to an ultra luxury line.  In some ways it may be better because you get a separate section of the vessel (separate from the masses), separate dining, and separate staff.  But you also get the advantages of a huge ship with its many amenities such as decent production shows and other entertainment not normally found on the ultra luxury lines.  

I just was looking at last minute TA cruises and spotted a pretty good deal on Seabourn.  It is still more expensive then a TA on a mass market line, but with Seabourn you are getting a suite, all inclusive experience, very good cuisine, and will never have to fight to get a decent deck chair.  

But be forewarned that the TA repositioning cruises have been discovered by legions of retirees (we are in that class) who are all looking for a good deal.  More and more we are seeing situations where it pays to book far in advance (during promotions and sales) rather then waiting until the last minute.  We actually have a 25 day repo cruise booked for next Oct (2019) and many of the best cabin categories are already sold out.  We will watch the pricing and availability on that cruise until the final payment...and also watch other trends to see if we should cancel that cruise and jump to a better option.  And one always has to factor in air....although if booking with some lines like HAL, Princess and Cunard one can use their "Flex Air" option to lock in a flight without any obligation to pay until about 45 days before the cruise.

For those with the time (mostly retirees) do not neglect to check the Pacific repo cruises...many of which have fantastic itineraries with lots of lazy sea days.  Of course one must carefully evaluate the air pricing on these cruises.

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 10:38 AM, LDavis41 said:

Are there any other cruise lines that offer the level of service that Holland America does?   I have only been on 2 cruises, both with Holland America but am planning a third, but it will be my husbands first.  When returning to the ship from a day at port, I noticed the ship on the other side of wharf had a HUGE lineup.  These customers were standing under the beating sun, without any forward movement, while our ship had no wait time whatsoever, and before we went back on board, we were presented with chilled cloths to cool down and a choice of 3 freshly flavored ice waters.  Whenever I think about booking another cruise, that insane lineup sneaks into my mind and I definitely do not want to experience that.  Are there any other cruise lines that operate like this?

I have sailed Carnival, RCI, NCL, and Princess and have found aspects of service at each of them that have been excellent and aspects that have been disappointing.  NCL is the only one we remembered having the chilled cloths and fresh water (frozen push pops one day too 😉 ) and it really stood out but was the only really good customer service we remembered. 

NCL probably had the longest waits, but the refreshing cloths and drinks helped to not notice it.  Princess was probably the best for what we like in service overall, but Carnival and RCI both had standout staff too.

We don't select a cruise on the basis of ice cold towels.  We have had them on HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, NCL, and I think Carnival.

We find the service, staff, and the entire cruise experience on HAL and Celebrity to be equal.  We prefer Celebrity ships, especially the Solstice class.  That sometimes clinches it for us.  Everyone has different tastes and preferences.  We do no think that there is a 'best' cruise line.  Especially these days when the only constant seems to be inconsistency.

On 10/24/2018 at 3:13 PM, iancal said:

We don't select a cruise on the basis of ice cold towels.  We have had them on HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Princess, NCL, and I think Carnival.

We find the service, staff, and the entire cruise experience on HAL and Celebrity to be equal.  We prefer Celebrity ships, especially the Solstice class.  That sometimes clinches it for us.  Everyone has different tastes and preferences.  We do no think that there is a 'best' cruise line.  Especially these days when the only constant seems to be inconsistency.

Like :).  Agree 100%.

Hank