Invisible disability

quby33

Much of the entertainment and most if not all of the talks are inaccessible to many people who are deaf or hearing impaired. A speech to text reporter on board would make a huge difference. Please don't mention 'hearing loops' as they don't help the deaf.

Have you tried cruising with a group? 

We were on the Anthem in 2017, sailing out of New York on a New England Fall cruise.  There was a group of deaf people and they had hired a signer. 

We were talking to the signer. He had been given special access to the shows,including the rehearsals, so that he could sign the show for his clients later in the cruise. He had also been given access to the shows scripts that he could study them at his leisure.

He also mentioned that he cruises 3 - 4 times a year as a signer

Edited by Bloodgem
Adding extra info.

Thanks for your response and info.  I'm not sure of the exact figures but I believe most people (in the UK at least) don't sign. This would include people who have lost some or all of their hearing  later in life. Also, American Sign Language is not the same as UK signing, or so I've been told.Speech to text would help everyone with hearing problems. They would only need one/two transcribers on board  so it wouldn't cost a fortune. I live in hopes!