How to Pick 2nd cruise destination

Saffy2yrs

For my very first cruise I went to Alaska, and realized since I live in a warm climate (California) I would prefer to cruise to cooler climates.  How do I choose a new destination to focus on?  Should I try other cruise lines to see if there is one I might like more than the one I just went on (princess)?  Should I try to figure out where I want to go then figure out what companies actually do that cruise, or pick a company and then see what is available?

I had an idea of what I wanted of my first cruise, and enjoyed every minute of it.  I want to go cruising again, but have no ideas of where or when to go and want input from others.

Since your first criteria for your next cruise seems to be rather specific, then pick the area that interests you and then look at the cruise lines/ships that sail there. There are all kinds of places that will be cool, depending on the time of year. Heck, even the Med could be cool if you sail in December. If Alaska thrilled you, then look at cruises to Iceland, or Norway, or if you're really adventurous, Antarctica.

About the time that we retired, we decided that we were no longer tied to time constraints. We elected to cruise the itinerary. It takes a bit of research to narrow down the options: time of year, number of days of the cruise, whether to fly or drive to the port, how big a ship (we prefer smaller rather those floating cities). As a result, we have discovered that Princess and Holland America offer the itineraries that appeal to us.

We moved from Illinois to Florida so that we are now close to several ports of embarkation. We can pick and choose. Recently, most of our cruises have been to fly one way, and cruise back to Ft. Lauderdale. We rent a car and are home in time for an afternoon nap on the sofa!

Our next cruise begins in Venice in November. Much cooler than what we have in Florida. I sails back to Ft. Lauderdale (29 days). Just about right for us.

Jim

In addition to researching Norway fiords and the Canadian Atlantic coast, I would suggest a Chilean/Patagonian cruise.  The climate would be similar to Alaska, and the scenery is equal to or even more stunning.

Hope the OP has fun deciding!

Congratulations on your first cruise. Like you our first cruise was Alaska. I took my time trying to decide on the second cruise and picked Hawaii in December. It was a wonderful time to go since we were coming from a cold weather location. Times have changed and the Hawaiian cruises have gotten a bit pricy in my opinion. If you have the time I would check out a 15 day cruise to and from Hawaii during the winter months. The ship prices are reasonable and there is a lot to do on those extra sea days. If you check out flying into Hawaii and taking a cruise it is rather pricy from ten years ago. Then it was easy to get a 7 to 10 day cruise out of Honolulu for (inside cabin) around $700. With the fifteen day cruises you get a chance to visit four of the Islands and can then decide what place you liked and then go back later. If I were to take a choice of another location I would pick a 12 day  Western Mediterranean cruise out of Barcelona Spain. Attached is a picture of our second cruise choice... Hawaii.  

DSC05309.JPG